Procrastinator's guide to Staying up.

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Procrastinator's guide to Staying up.

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:03 am

I have to say, if you were a real student (or are) in school, you will agree with me when I say that staying awake is the best tool realistic people like you and me can ever have. But such a gift is difficult to come by for some. Have no fear, I'm going to explain my ways as best I can.

Supply: In order to have any kind of _____-rush or _____-high, you must take precautions to ensure the quantity will suffice for a given amount of time. Not all coffee shops are open 24/7 you know. Ensure your stash will be enough for the night and then some, so you won't 'crash' before you turn in that project or assignment.

Liquids:Have a good amount of energy drinks ready. Have multiple cans of your beverage of choice or several bottles of that starbucks cold stuff you students love so much. The three things you should always look for in a liquid are as follows: Caffeine, Ginseng, and Guarana. They are listed in many of the tall-can energy drinks like "Monster" and "Full Throttle" and are easily available. While Caffeine is consumed daily by about 90% of North Americans, I reccommend trying Guarana-based beverages, which have similar advantages to Caffeine, but usually aren't loaded with sugar. Sugar is burned quite fast, and will cause you to crash unless you stuff tons of it down constantly. Guarana seeds contain about 10% caffeine, which is called Guaranine. Note that the estimated lethal dose of caffeine/guaranine is ten pure grams taken at once. To put that into perspective, an 8 oz. cup of coffee has around 65-130 milligrams of caffeine; some very strong guarana-based syrups can contain up to 350 milligrams.

It is advised that you don't consume a large amount of sugary foods, because, once again, you'll crash later and hate yourself for it.

Conduct: While working on the computer, typing up that last-minute college application or AP European History project, try not to sit in too-comfy a chair or keep yourself entirely warm, lest you dose off in the midst of an oncoming caffeine-frenzy. It is very much possible to doze off while you wait for that third energy drink to kick in, so be careful! Listen to loud music on you computer or mp3 player with headphones to keep yourself alert. Close any instant-messaging programs in those early hours of the night so as to get the work done sooner and avoid any distractions.

Some more warnings: Do not try to pull an all-nighter or stay up very late during any time of the week before a major exam, such as the finals or the SAT's. Repeated insomniac tendencies in a given time period will result in very poor train of thought, major emotional stress, short term memory loss, really sore and bloodshot eyes, impaired judgement, dizziness, increased blood pressure and heart rate, psychosis, and hallucinations, so I'm begging you, for your own good, don't repeat these all-night fiascos too often, and catch up on your sleep over the weekend if possible.

Anyone got any tips to add? And no, adding shit like "Adderal" to the list does not count.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:24 am

I found it good to stick a piece of ginseng in your mouth and chew it. It's nutrientional, unlike coffee, and it's gonna keep you awake with it's bitterness.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:08 am

I've stayed awake for 68 hours straight before. The answer: too many mind absorbing games.

I was so pissed I didn't get to three days though.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Poenaensis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 pm

or get up early by drinking four pints of water when you go to bed, then when you get up to point percy at the porcalin, do ur work. the small amount of sleep keeps you going, but that 3 hours is invaluable.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby War » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:14 pm

OMG the huge giant Teenr0cker post are back. I knew you couldn't keep them short for to long.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Which is the best type of the following choices? Caffeine, ginseng, or guarana?

I'm still 14 and at my growing age so I would just skimp caffeine and move over to the next 2 choices. I have no F'ing idea what guarana is but I'll look it up so don't give me any of those justfuckinggoogleit.com joke. Ginseng is purty easy to get so I might move into that one but I might switch to guarana if it is more effective then ginseng.
Last edited by PseudoFlare on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:21 am

War wrote:OMG the huge giant Teenr0cker post are back. I knew you couldn't keep them short for to long.

Word count: 468.
That's nothing and you know it.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:34 am

War wrote:OMG the huge giant Teenr0cker post are back. I knew you couldn't keep them short for to long.
I've seen longer posts.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:54 pm

I think the whole problem solves itself.

"Well, I could go to bed, but... I'll do it later"
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Or we could all just play games during 30 minute interval breaks...

...Scrap that idea >.>

If you think you can stay up a bit longer by taking a nap, think again. I tried it countless times and I fell asleep instantly. Don't try at home folks.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Iteroth » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:57 pm

PseudoFlare wrote: I have no F'ing idea what guarana is but I'll look it up so don't give me any of those justfuckinggoogleit.com joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarana

google will just lead you to wikipedia anyway... wikipedia is THE SHIT :D
Iteroth
S5 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:38 am

Hear hear!

In other news, it's 3:34 am and I'm employing my own 'guide' to help me do shit I should have done a long time back, when I still had holiday time.

When supplies are low, learning how to moderate your fuel for the next 12-24 hours is crucial.

Also, getting a good library filled with music constantly playing helps. No, seriously, I can't reiterate that enough. It really does.

Or else you start to hear the voices calling out to you.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby avatarmonkeykirby » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 am

Once again a knife wielding maniac has show us the way.
Kudos.
True love lies in complete adherence to Newton's third law.
S1 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 am

Recurring Insomnia.
Masturbation.

I'm anti-caffeine because it increases urination a bit too much, especially with my recent prostate problems.

Personally, I spend more time trying to fall asleep than I spend trying to stay awake anyway.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:57 am

eat hershey's original milk chocolate for the test day. also if ur having trouble staying awake take a caffeine pill.

not having to stay awake also relates to idleness of the brain. if your brain becomes active, u become awaken. for example, lets say u are tired as hell. u watch a movie, then try to replay the movie in ur head without watching the movie. after that, u'd be awake :roll:
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall