Fix For Inception

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Fix For Inception

Postby Ferios » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 am

After scouring the forum for some way to fix the 'infamous black text box' error in the earlier Crestfallen games and finding close to nothing, I googled around for a little while to snag a copy of RPG95. Just installing it and adding the games to the directory didn't work, but Mr. Miguel included a fixed exe file for games with similar errors in the version I downloaded. I stuck it in the Act 1 folder and it worked. So I registered really quick in effort to help other people out.

I'll host it on my website for any other unfortunate souls (like me) who couldn't fix the error. Here's a direct link...

http://www.angelfire.com/me3/AOrionJ/stuff/Inception_Exe_Fix.zip

It probably doesn't have too terribly good of download speed. Zipped the file to save space on my meager twenty megabytes of space. All you should have to do is extract the file to the Inception Act 1 or Act 2 directory. That's all I did, in any case. It works for both of them (on Windows XP) for me.

Happy gaming! :)

Edit: Of course, Angelfire doesn't like direct linking.. So you'll have to copy the URL into your toolbar yourself. Damn you, Angelfire. :x
"Madness takes it's toll.. Please have exact change."
Ferios
Plyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:15 am

Great work/nice avatar/you are awesome
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Ferios » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:51 am

Thanks much.
... Unless you're being sarcastic. ^^

It looks like the exe works decentishly, aside from a few odd messages in battles. I also had to apply the exe to Ascension, but for a game-crashing error rather than unreadable text. It fixed that as well.. Seem to be stuck in Inception, though. I can't move after I relieve a Gilian soldier. Not sure if this is due to the fixed exe because it looks like RPG95 is pretty buggy in general. Or, perhaps more likely, not meant for modern systems. :?
Ferios
Plyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 am

The wit....it's palpable! Savory and delicious!
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby avatarmonkeykirby » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Wow, I owe you big.
True love lies in complete adherence to Newton's third law.
S1 Hilyn

Postby KingClops » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 pm

I had trouble with the black text boxes until I found that newer version for win xp also. I didn't know where to post for crestfallen though. It doesn't seem like there is a place for that at crestfallen studios. :P
Burning_Flame: Kalmar is a giant squid. See my authoritative post here:
http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2528
KingClops
Wanderer

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:38 am

If you have a topic about Crestfallen, I'm sure you could post it in the Gaming forum.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:00 am

You've gotta love the fact that many RM problems can be fixed with a new .exe, except it screws with special symbols (at least in 2k/3).

I think the topic could easily go in Bugs, although I'd make sure to put Crestfallen in the title.

Maybe if we could get Jera to drop out of school, he'd work on the RM2k3 remake of Crestfallen and then I'd actually play it.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:24 am

Still havent gotten around to beating part 2...
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Ferios » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:45 pm

KingClops wrote:I had trouble with the black text boxes until I found that newer version for win xp also.

But you didn't post it somewhere? Bah. It took me almost a half hour to come up with a fix. That's half an hour you could have saved me. Half an hour wasted because of you.

That said, thanks, because I now get to take credit for it.

I noticed that there wasn't really a place for Crestfallen on the forum, too. There's nothing about it on the website, either, save the downloads. The Way has pretty much taken it over. Not that The Way isn't awesome, because it most certainly is, but it's nice to know where some of the thoughts and ideas came from. In what little I have managed to play of Crestfallen, I've already noticed a few things that were referenced, reused, or expanded upon in The Way. It's nice to be able to appreciate those things. "How sweet it is."

Is that exe working worse than/as good as/better than I described it did for me? I'm curious, as it may just be something on my system that isn't allowing me to progress further in Inception.
Ferios
Plyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:38 am

I can't move after relieving the guard too. I thought it was just me, and didn't post anything.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Ferios » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Hmph. It seems that I will now have to work on fixing the fix. Nothing can be easy, I suppose.

.. After Rudora, though. Not right now. I have my priorities.
Ferios
Plyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Well, it's possible to just change the event to not disable your movement, so it works. Crude but efficient. I don't use Rm95, so I don't get what the problem is. Also, it seems that this happens everytime that you get pushed out of the way... which is a lot.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Ferios » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Well, I encountered a large snare, myself. RM95 just won't run on my computer. To be honest, though, that seems like it would be too many events to alter so that they don't disable your movement. I don't really understand why it has you move after talking to the guard, anyway. He walked around where I was standing.

I'm going to try and find a system that'll run RM95. Even if I'm too lazy to go through and find all of the 'move hero' events to change them, I might be able to figure out what the real problem behind it is. Or I may just be giving myself too much credit. Either way, I'll put the Family Guy DVD away for now and look into it s'more.
Ferios
Plyn

Postby fwacho » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:05 am

I believe that Lun spent alot of time learning timing on the inital two games... the crwaling forest in Act II however is courtesy of Cocoa.

any rate a lot of time you are held still for a reason so that other stuff works without a hitch. if you ask really, really nice on the bugs forum Lun might edit it to work better.
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall