are you serious microsoft?

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

are you serious microsoft?

Postby Shindy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 pm

bought a Gateway GT5432 and it came with Vista. due to the incredibly uncomptable setting of the OS (such as I CANNOT DL ANYTHING FROM PEERS BECAUSE OF THE BUILD IN ANTIPEERAGE and NOT MUCH SOFTWARE CAN BE FOUND FOR VISTA) i am considering doing a clean format of my main drive and installing WinXP Pro.

i have the OS disk and recovery disk so i am all set if anything goes wrong.

First off, am i doing the right thing? i mean i see now why vista isnt a real popular OS.

-NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE Integrated Graphics
Up to 128MB of Shared Video Memory
-AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5000+ (dual-core) 64-bit processor with AMD64 Technology operates at 2.6GHz | 2 x 512KB L2 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus
-nVidia® GeForce® 6150SE Chipset
-56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
-320GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
-1024MB dual-channel DDR2 Memory (2 x 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby War » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:06 am

Vista needs more time. It was the same thing with WinXP when it came out.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:31 am

Vista needs a sensible EULA
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 am

Vista is shit. Okay so I have a 1GB RAM Laptop and I'm going to open 5 window applications, oh wait I can't, Vista takes up most of the RAM and tells you haven't enough memory. Maybe if Microsoft had wasted more time adding worthwhile features intead of useless and shit-looking visual effects it may have actually been good. And what is more annoying is the fact now you need Direct X 10 (or whatever the hell version is it) to run all the latest games. Okay, it WILL say on the box "Works on XP" but get this, Direct X 10 only works on MS Vista. What tomfoolery is this?!
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Sling wrote:Vista is shit. Okay so I have a 1GB RAM Laptop and I'm going to open 5 window applications, oh wait I can't, Vista takes up most of the RAM and tells you haven't enough memory. Maybe if Microsoft had wasted more time adding worthwhile features intead of useless and shit-looking visual effects it may have actually been good. And what is more annoying is the fact now you need Direct X 10 (or whatever the hell version is it) to run all the latest games. Okay, it WILL say on the box "Works on XP" but get this, Direct X 10 only works on MS Vista. What tomfoolery is this?!

Agreed +1. I have an acquaintance who got Vista with a new laptop, and he was showing me all this stuff "Look, if you hover the mouse over a minimized playing video in the task bar it shows the movie playing in a small little window" "look at this calender on the desktop it has weather forecasts" etc. My question "Can it run any games?" "Well... not really". QED. Vista sucks. XP sucked at first too, but not THIS much...
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Forerunner » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 pm

And the harsh truth slams home like a con behind you in a shower: XP or Vista, Microsoft is still Microsoft.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Nuke that fucker. Vista sucks up ram harder than the TMNT movie sucked up fond childhood "radical" memories. The blatant copying of the Mac's Widget feature (Called "Gadget" I believe) just shows you how half-assed vista is. It's just another money grab. I am convinced they could have spent more time improving XP, but they'd rather make some people buy "Vista Capable" machines and Microsoft Office 2007, which uses up so much memory that you wonder why you didn't just use Notepad. It is my personal belief that I may very well invest in a Mac before I "upgrade" to vista.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:19 am

Well it is rather clear why Microsoft did it, they wanted a share of the bribery going on in the hardware market.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 am

I haven't kept track of prices at all, but I remember seeing basic XP dells for under $300, flatscreen monitor included. Now they've included SATA hard drives instead of those IDE kinds like grandpa used, so there's a considerable jump. The dimension C51, which I assume is the cheapest, is still toting the 512 my parents' desktop has at the moment. You need to put down one freaking grand now, the media center, to run a media-heavy system. So, in common terms, it means that Strayed could plot my demise in the IRC while masturbating to only a few videos or he could be doing the same thing, but with a considerably larger amount of memory, allowing for all of his epic masterpiece collections to be viewed in all their high definition glory, free of the constrictions of skipping frames. Chaffing hands is his own problem that Microsoft has yet to exploit and I believe they'll find a way to and make tons of money off him then. But I digress.

For the record, I knew Dell was pure evil. Saw it in the hazed over eyes of "The Dell Kid" who ended up buying tons of drugs.
Last edited by Teenr0cker on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:42 pm

with every new os microsoft sets a new record in screwing people over
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:45 am

No-one I know is actually going to buy it. The only person so far I know who has it is my mate's sister but that was only becuase it came already on the laptop she bought. Everyone else is sticking with XP or switching over to Mac OS and the latest version of Mac OS X will come with BootCamp meaning all you diehard PC users can stick XP, Linux, even Vista on it. And with the new Mac Pro, it's awfully tempting.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:23 am

Orrrr, just use Linux as any respectable kit already has this functionality for years, seriously, anything with Mac in its name is ment for . . . . simpler . . . . people
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:26 am

But the majority of Mac Desktop's are portable...
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:04 pm

So you can take them with you when you go race ATV's and sleep with your sister.
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Burning_Flame wrote:So you can take them with you when you go race ATV's and sleep with your sister.
But why would I do that? I'm sorry but where I come that is just plain wrong. Mac Desktops are portable so you can bash people round the head with.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall