Degrees To Virginia Tech Fallen???

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Degrees To Virginia Tech Fallen???

Postby Porter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:49 am

It was absolutely terrible what happened at Virginia Tech. Fuck that guy and I feel really sorry for the people involved there.

But what the fuck?? Awarding degrees to the dead students? C'mon, there is always a point where something becomes ultra cheesy and an unnecessary tribute. This is as bad as the country singers coming out with their cheesy stupid 9/11 songs.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:08 am

Well, maybe the RA who was a senior and triple majoring in like 3 totally different fields, but yeah, that is pretty cheesy.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Shindy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:09 am

Or else the parents won't be so happy.
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sling » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Apparantly, the total body count was the highest ever sustained in a single shooting incident.

How the hell would a degree help a dead person. Does St. Peter ask you your qualifications or something?
"Oh sorry, you need 320 UCAS points to get in".
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Re: Degrees To Virginia Tech Fallen???

Postby Angel_OA » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Porter wrote:But what the fuck?? Awarding degrees to the dead students? C'mon, there is always a point where something becomes ultra cheesy and an unnecessary tribute. This is as bad as the country singers coming out with their cheesy stupid 9/11 songs.

It's called a posthumous degree and its done all the time. This isn't a one of occasion or anything. However, I think that the newspapers printing the picture of him in a hollywood style pose was pretty stupid, it's just spreading the fear exactly as he intended.
On another note I have a friend called Cho, who's finding it hard adapting to all the newspapers with 'Cho is a Bastard' written in big letters.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:34 pm

In all honesty, I think we all have a friend named Cho in our lives...

Anyhow, I agree that it's cheesy, but at the same time, it's these school shootings that are really painful because the lives lost are most often quite young. Lets say one of the victims was 20 and lets assume they would have led a healthy life into their late nineties and even break 100 years old maybe. If you think about that, you realize they lived one freaking fifth of their life. All the good times they could have had, all the success they had the potential to experience, all the memorable experiences that is a human life...Destroyed with the pull of a trigger. ESPECIALLY for college students, because after college is the real world. There wouldn't be any more teachers or pop quizzes, but there would be new exciting experiences waiting for them. All that time and effort applying to college, all of those hours spent studying, those long Friday nights they spent working to afford an education... All of that failed to deliver an incredible young adult because some idiot decided to interfere and judge them. Out of respect for the dead, I would not hesitate to grant them what they strove for their entire lives up until that point, even if they had no real use for it (obviously). So it goes.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:23 pm

I have little affection for all the media's attention on incidents such as this considering 30,000 children die of preventable diseases each day.

We all agree that young people dying is a bad thing, yet we refuse to see the grand scheme of things and realize we aren't more important than the rest of the world. 32 college students being killed is a bad thing, and is shown all over United States, but instead of preventing tragedies around the world, such as the hundreds being killed each day in war and the hundreds of thousands each week due to preventable diseases, we all just sit around and mope.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Angel_OA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:36 am

Everything comes down to greed. Tackling the problems on the surface (such as giving a starving village a bag of seeds) is only a temporary solution on a small scale. The problems need to be sorted right at the top, where the greedy bastards suck away all the millions of charity money into their own pocket.
Like Robert Mugabe, who's building another palace for himself right now.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Porter » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Everyone should read the chapter YELLING in Maddox's new book, The Alphabet of Manliness.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:16 am

Angel_OA wrote:Everything comes down to greed. Tackling the problems on the surface (such as giving a starving village a bag of seeds) is only a temporary solution on a small scale. The problems need to be sorted right at the top, where the greedy bastards suck away all the millions of charity money into their own pocket.
Like Robert Mugabe, who's building another palace for himself right now.
The only reason the USA etc haven't invaded Zimbabwe to stop Mugabe is becuase there is no oil there... otherwise we'd have another Iraq.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:12 am

Sling wrote:Apparantly, the total body count was the highest ever sustained in a single shooting incident.

really?

i'm pretty sure Martin Bryant killed 35 people in the Port Arthur Massacre.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:39 am

I think it was the most ever in a school/learning institution then. I can't remember, but some kid in my class was going on about it. It's not exactly something to brag about though.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Sling wrote:I think it was the most ever in a school/learning institution then. I can't remember, but some kid in my class was going on about it. It's not exactly something to brag about though.

I reckon humans can brag about just about anything.

When we heard this, me and a friend began discussing it. WE didn't know if it was 100% true, but as far as we're aware, school-massacres are unique to America.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby JLAF » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Sling wrote:I think it was the most ever in a school/learning institution then. I can't remember, but some kid in my class was going on about it. It's not exactly something to brag about though.

Wikipedia: Virginia Tech Massacre wrote:...the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

wikipedia can be wrong too.
It would maybe depend on where you draw the line for modern U.S. history.

Edit: I'd like to thank who edited in those last two sentences. Really, I know whoever you are you're probably ten times as respected as I am (since you're a mod or admin and I'm a noob) but make a post if you have something to say.
I agree that it depends on what you'd call "modern" but I've check several versions back on the article, as well as hearing it said several times in media reports, so I don't think Wikipedia is flat out wrong.
Bottom line: Don't put your opinions into other people's posts.
Last edited by JLAF on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not giving you my signature!
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Telephalsion wrote:

I reckon humans can brag about just about anything.

When we heard this, me and a friend began discussing it. WE didn't know if it was 100% true, but as far as we're aware, school-massacres are unique to America.

I looked up school shootings on wiki, and for school shootings:

United Kingdom - 1
Yemen - 1
Germany - 1
Australia - 1
Lebanon - 1
Israel - 2
Canada - 4
USA - 30
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Next