I'm writing a book... and well, the usual trouble.

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

I'm writing a book... and well, the usual trouble.

Postby Shindy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:54 pm

I am writing a book for my graduation project. It has to be a hundred pages long...

But that is not the problem. I am really having trouble with names. I mean... how do creators make good names like Vance Rhue North Kanna Lexus Slade Beaufort Durham Landorin... Is there like a list of "good" fictional names somewhere online? or can someone help me out with naming skills...
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:56 pm

My only suggestion

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

Pick ones that can be used as a one-time pun.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 am

You can get a namegen thing for character names, item names and location names from Phanxgames, I think...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Angel_OA » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:56 am

90% of the time namegens just come up with complete crap.
Just look at this:
# Ustq
# Neysh
# Toih
# Urny
# Breuh
# Athll
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Shindy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am

sling can you give me the link to location generator?

and also, can i make inferrences to charactors in other games? it would only be minor references and wont actually use them as antagonists... like.. Tifa in Kingdom Hearts, and the Final Fantasy Burlington Bar in Three the Hard Way? I'm thinking of putting Traziun... nah that's too obsecure, rite?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sling » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:33 am

This is where I got it from, but the download section where you get all the utilities etc is down for the moment...
http://www.phanxgames.com/pxg/downloads/
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Avoid having names that end with the following:

-tron
-ar
-ion
-maru
-ke
-li
-on
-ir
-ra
-el

Yeah.. that ought to work.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 pm

Telephalsion wrote:-maru

Yeah, just look at Naruto or Inu-Yasha. At LEAST 134% of the characters in those shows have named that end in maru.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:08 am

Telephalsion wrote:Avoid having names that end with the following:

-ra

No Mum-Ra?!? Noooooo!

Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 am

Use the rinkworks generator, but use this code:

sc(, Destroyer of )ss(ia IV, bearer of the Forbidden Crown of )s(, the Warrior-King)

Capitalize where neccesary.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 am

Anagrams work for me.

Example:

Michael becomes Elachim or Malechi.

Then play with spelling/emphasis:

Elachim can become:
Ela'chim
El Hakim
Eliakim

Malechi becomes:
Ma'lechai
Malaki
Mal Akai

and so on...

I think the essential part of creating a good name is making it sound authentic to that characters origins. It wouldn't work to have an Asian named Kyle nor an European named Kai.

Naming also depends on the setting and genre of your story. For instance, steampunk fantasy tends towards harder, sharper sounds while Tolkein-esque fantasy likes smooth and melodic names.

Just make sure you're aware of the various connections and connotations of the final name you pick. Like naming someone Cid for instance. :wink:
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:08 am

If you start spelling Jonathan like Iyo'Hna'fthaahn I'll kill you...

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:50 am

I'd like to take this moment to thank Rinkworks for giving us the greatness of the Pokemon name generator. Where else would we get Bumachu, Numburtle, Grumbleimon, Muckimon, Warechu, Twerpezard, Twitartle, Lumpochu, and Dipirtle? Dipirtle. Looking at the names of the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon, I think Nintendo might soon benefit from this generator themselves.

I'm always horrible at coming up with names for stories... I'm actually trying to write a couple of novels at the moment, but I don't know how I can introduce characters without names for them. And I can't just use crazy fantasy names, as both of them have modern settings.

I wish I could finish The Way novelization as well, but I think E6 discouraged me somehow. It just ruins the perfection the first five episodes had going, and I wouldn't want to disappoint a reader with a story that ends up full of loose ends when I, as the writer, don't understand them myself. I guess that's a dilemma I have with trying to write someone else's story. Sometimes I wonder if every mystery of the first five episodes really does have an answer, or if Lun just wanted to make us think it did. It kind of seems like poor storytelling to me, to just throw in as much crazy stuff as possible and never explain it. Not saying The Way is bad in any way, just... incomplete.

That said, I did write quite a bit more than I ever submitted to Lun. I should wrap up Episode 1 someday and send it so people can see how much it's improved from the ancient version on the site.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:00 pm

I should finish my ep. 1 novelization too and stir up a rivalry again. :twisted:

Tele, do you happen to be psychic? Jonathan is my real name!! :shock: Although it's more likely to become Johann or Yohn.

I can't put a story together. I get all these brilliant anecdotal ideas and then I can't mesh them all into one cohesive plot. It always frustrates me 'cos I like writing.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Of course I am psychic, all swedes go through a telepathic rite of passage efore we're allowed to walk without supervision through the harsh winterland wastes that is our homeland. Without the power of precognition, our kind would have fallen prey to the polar bears eons ago.

That's also why I'm called Telephalsion, y'know, tele-pathy, tele-phalsion... yeah.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall