one of the many upcoming DOOM for our planet

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

one of the many upcoming DOOM for our planet

Postby Shindy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby JLAF » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:09 pm

They must feel so proud of themselves for writing the world's longest switch statement. :roll: Seriously, they go on and on about their algorithm, but it's obvious the final program is just a switch statement with 500,995,484,682,338,672,639 cases. Finding out what goes in all those cases is no doubt challenging, but the final program takes less CS know-how than making pong without the paddles. (The AI part anyway.)
Last edited by JLAF on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not giving you my signature!
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

JLAF wrote:They must feel so proud of themselves for writing the world's longest switch statement. :roll: Seriously, they go on and on about their algorithm, but it's obvious the final program is just a switch statement with 500,995,484,682,338,672,639 cases. Finding out what goes in all those cases is no doubt challenging, but the final program takes less CS know-how than making pong without the paddles. (The IA part anyway.)

I highly doubt tha... *Reads the article*

You're right. World's longest switch statement. >_>
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:08 pm

JLAF wrote:They must feel so proud of themselves for writing the world's longest switch statement. :roll: Seriously, they go on and on about their algorithm, but it's obvious the final program is just a switch statement with 500,995,484,682,338,672,639 cases. Finding out what goes in all those cases is no doubt challenging, but the final program takes less CS know-how than making pong without the paddles. (The IA part anyway.)

AI?

And I made pong in Boreland graphics...That was a pain. So...If I make pong without the paddles...that makes...a square? That...doesn't move?

My greatest fear is having to work on some bullshit like that when I finish college...20 years on goddamn checkers...
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby High Gravekeeper » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:21 pm

How dare you insult that man's fine research! Without his important contribution to humanity we would all be doomed! Doomed I say!
"Sheep Swallop! Sheep Swallop, and bloody buttered onions!" - Learn to swear, the Wheel of Time way.
High Gravekeeper
Wanderer

Postby JLAF » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:AI?

Boreland? (Fixed anyway though.)

Teenr0cker wrote:And I made pong in Boreland graphics...That was a pain. So...If I make pong without the paddles...that makes...a square? That...doesn't move?
A square the moves to one side of the screen, increases your score, and resets it's position. That requires ifs AND some minor graphics, which is more complicated than the gigantic switch statement they probably used for the AI of this chess program.

Anyway, now I'm wondering about that last part of the article. Playing card games is based on probability, and I would think a computer would be able to calculate all the required probabilities along with the expected gains fairly easily. Certainly more easily than a human could anyway. So why is the AI still inferior to humans?
I'm not giving you my signature!
JLAF
S2 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:22 am

It's still boreland to me.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:49 am

I nearly beat the toughest AI on some Chess game once. It was a tie. We both only had our kings left.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Return to The Scratch Wall