Been readin' any good books recently?

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Been readin' any good books recently?

Postby Sling » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:32 am

Since they're are topics for music, films etc I thought what about a topic about books?. Been reading a bunch of books about WWII as well as Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. I've also been reading The Obernewtyn books, The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever as well as Fwacho's book. I have recently ordered the entire Wheel of Time series for a bargain price of £37, which'll be arriving to my domicile from between a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Whilst I'm waiting for those, can anyone suggest some more good books?

(Spot the deliberate typo)
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:39 am

Song of Ice and Fire, although it starts extremely slow, is a rather good fantasy series. William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) is absolutely amazing and both the first and best Cyberpunk book. If you like actual high quality literature try reading Fuco's Pendulum.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Iorek » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:11 am

Books soon to be read for English class:

The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible.

Books that I looked outside of school recently looked moderately interesting. were Validity in Interpretation (by E.D. Hirch Jr.) and How to Read a Book (by Charles Van Doren and Mortimer J. Adler). They sound very simple, but contain very interesting insight on the philosophy, tools, and aspects of reading that aren't taught very well in American schools.
Iorek
Plyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:59 am

I'm about halfway done with 1984, I just finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again (the series), I did "Call of Cthulhu" for a break, and I'm looking into reading "World War Z" again, "Catch 22", and "Invisible Monsters" (Chuck Palahniuk).

Ah, Sophomore Core Literature.

A few tips:

Mad props shall always be given to John Proctor. He's a badass, colonial version of Chuck Norris that plows his motherfucking fields on Sundays! That's so rebellious!

Given enough time and patience, when you have to write about the Great Gatsby, prove he's really the Gay Gatsby. It can and has been done repeatedly. Keep the tradition strong!
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:27 pm

Iorek wrote:Books soon to be read for English class:

The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, The Crucible.

Books that I looked outside of school recently looked moderately interesting. were Validity in Interpretation (by E.D. Hirch Jr.) and How to Read a Book (by Charles Van Doren and Mortimer J. Adler). They sound very simple, but contain very interesting insight on the philosophy, tools, and aspects of reading that aren't taught very well in American schools.

Hooray for pretentious American Literature.

Hooray for all the other pretentious literature as well.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:52 pm

I just finished reading the Wheel Of Time series my self, it was really good, though you almost need to keep notes so you can remember who everyone is, especially near the end of the series.

I hated the Great Gatsby. The only good part was the movie version we watched after finishing the book did the car crash scene surprisingly violently. We did have a big discussion in class on whether some weird passage in the book was actually a gay sex scene.

In english now we're reading Their Eyes Were Watching God. The book is aweful (as always) and harder to read than Shakespeare.(Because atleast shakespeare books always contained chapter summaries and the begging of each chapter so you didn't actually have to read the book. Or atleast the school versions did.)
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Ah, TEWWG. The girl in that book is a skank, goes through 3 husbands like candy. The last one's named "Teacake," which is hilarious. Of course, any book that Oprah makes into a movie is not really worth my attention unless it's required by the school.

You may have to read "Yellow Raft on Blue Water" or something like that. Don't even try to read it, it's retarded.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:51 pm

It may be a good thing I've finished school. We didn't even have read that much. Hell, all I remember doing in High School was Midsummer's Night Dream.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Re: Been readin' any good books recently?

Postby Greatchickenman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:07 pm

Sling wrote:(Spot the deliberate typo)

Yeah, you used the British Pound symbol instead of USD WHICH IS THE ONLY REAL CURRENCY AMIRITE FUCK YEAH!
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:24 pm

It's they're, right? It should have been there.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Re: Been readin' any good books recently?

Postby Sarcasm » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:55 am

Greatchickenman wrote:
Sling wrote:(Spot the deliberate typo)

Yeah, you used the British Pound symbol instead of USD WHICH IS THE ONLY REAL CURRENCY AMIRITE FUCK YEAH!

SEAQUEEN! FUCK YEAH!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:49 am

MusashiEX wrote:It's they're, right? It should have been there.
You win a prize.

1 GBP = 2 USD, I win...
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Angel_OA » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am

Sling wrote:
MusashiEX wrote:It's they're, right? It should have been there.
You win a prize.
1 GBP = 2 USD, I win...

I thought it was Fwacho.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Wheel of Time is great, definitely my favorite series, but more recently I've read Magician which is the first book in the Riftwar Saga, and I'm up to book 5 in Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.

I've gotten a lot of Discworld, but havn't read any yet.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:18 am

Discworld are childrens books.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall