Been readin' any good books recently?

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:22 am

Sling wrote:Discworld are childrens books.

My grandma/father/professor would disagree with you.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:32 am

Doesn't change the fact they are. Terry Pratchet said that they're targeted at 14 year olds. I started reading one and it was like reading Harry Potter if JK Rowling could write.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:36 am

All books past the Ankh Morpolis arc are actually targeted at children, yes.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:40 am

Someone told me that only some of them were actually targeted at children, but the guy who told me had a reputation for not telling the truth.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:22 am

I hear "Flatland" is interesting...

1984 was not as rattling as I expected and heard. I sort of knew where it was going after the main character is caught. Maybe more modern media emulated this outcome, or maybe I just saw it and guessed, but really now, it wasn't a surprise at all...Meh.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Angel_OA » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:25 am

Teenr0cker wrote:1984 was not as rattling as I expected and heard. I sort of knew where it was going after the main character is caught. Maybe more modern media emulated this outcome, or maybe I just saw it and guessed, but really now, it wasn't a surprise at all...Meh.

It's just bleak and depressing, so if those are its only functions I suppose that makes it a very good book.
...the film is just as bad (or effective, whichever).
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:28 pm

I recently read Neuromancer. It was awesome, but not as awesome as Snowcrash.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:32 am

Aegis wrote:I recently read Neuromancer. It was awesome, but not as awesome as Snowcrash.

Go and die in a corner, read the whole trilogy and repent and I may yet allow you to rise as a zombie.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:38 am

Becomming a zombie after repent...
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sling » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Has anyone here read The Obernewtyn Chronicles? It's pretty good.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Re: Been readin' any good books recently?

Postby Forerunner » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:30 am

/me uses a phoenix down on underappreciated thread

Finally bought the 5th, 6th and 7th books in Dark Tower. Still thinking it's Stephen Kings best work.

Though it may incur the contempt of 'tendo fanboys and general public alike, I still think the books based on Halo are very good. Especially the most recent one Contact Harvest which centers around Srgt Johnson and how the Human/Covenant wars started, instead of on the Master Chief.

Also, while childish, I've enjoyed rereading all of the Artemis Fowl books. They're not big, so pretty good comic relief if you're between books.

Annnnnd confirmation on A Song of Ice and Fire, yes slow to start, but very compelling, and pretty different from any other series I can bring to mind. The way the first book ended was a bitch though, less like a cliffhanger and more like skirting the edge of a black hole.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the Star Wars novels are worth reading. So far I've looked around, and can't find anything but books based on the movies which is shit. I'm still looking, but it'd be nice to know if it's worth the effort.

Anyone else reading anything good?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:14 pm

I read Mario Puzo's The Sicilian last week. It was pretty good.

EDIT: Atlas Shrugged.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am

Okay so I finally got all the books of The Wheel of Time earlier this year and power-read them as soon as I finished college. All I can say is they're brilliant and it's really sad that Robert Jordan is dead now as he was planning on writing a whole new series once he finished the last book of The Wheel of Time, which won't be released until Autumn next year.

In the mean-time I've started reading The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson and have recently ordered the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant too. So far it's been really good. The style of writing is similar to Robert Jordan's in the Wheel of time. Unfortunately, The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant won't be finished until sometime in 2013, so there's a bit of a wait to see how it finishes.

I still haven't read any more of the Obernewtyn Chronicles yet but the latest book is out now and there is only one more book left in the series that has yet to be written. I've only read one book but so far it's been really interesting. It's kind of a combination of Sci-fi and fantasy.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am

I read 1984 a few days ago.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Glenn47 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 am

Twight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn

I highly recommend the Twilight series. I'm on book four right now, the last in the series, and it's a great read. Vampires 'n' shit.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to The Scratch Wall