Dodgeball

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Dodgeball

Postby Shindy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:18 pm

this is kind of random, but r u guys good @it?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Sling » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:55 pm

I've never played it...
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm

My dorm floor and I played dodge ball. We did pretty well, I'd say.

For training, we would carry tennis balls around and pelt each other whenever we saw one another. Classes, cafeteria, hallways...bathroom...

Good times.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm

We talking 2 team dodgeball or one person with a ball vs. others and the wall?
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:17 am

Isn't that called wallball? Anyways I rock at dodgeball. I'm small enough to avoid being hit :D
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:26 am

We called both versions dodgeball in Minnesota.

But our games were different from the rest of the states.

We played duck duck gray duck instead of duck duck goose.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:48 am

Two team dodgeball, minimum of 5 per team, with 6 being the usual size. A team can have more than 6, but only 6 can be on the court max, while players can rotate in-court in any order. I'm not sure whether the lines we use as boundaries are specially laid out or just immensely convenient to play by, there are plenty of different sets, but we basically have the simple setup you could see in the movie "Dodgeball". You know, catching a ball gets the thrower out and gets a team mate in, nothing above the shoulders, run for the dodge balls in the middle at the beginning of every round, etc. It's kind of lame though, because if we catch a dodge ball that's hit a wall or one of the basketball hoops/backboards, it counts as "out", so there have been some victories and losses determined solely upon this technicality.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Glenn47 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:06 pm

See, here in Minnesota we played Dodgeball, Wallball, and "Trench." Which I'm not sure if that's universal or not, but if not, it's basically dodgeball with a "jail" placed behind enemy lines, so if a ball fell too far back someone from in the jail could hit you, and if they did they were back in. Awesome game, I liked it better than dodgeball. Wallball I only played in like 4th grade, twice.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:06 am

I think we only called wallball dodgeball because we were too unorganized to make a real game of dodgeball
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Glenn47 wrote:See, here in Minnesota we played Dodgeball, Wallball, and "Trench." Which I'm not sure if that's universal or not, but if not, it's basically dodgeball with a "jail" placed behind enemy lines, so if a ball fell too far back someone from in the jail could hit you, and if they did they were back in. Awesome game, I liked it better than dodgeball. Wallball I only played in like 4th grade, twice.

Oh yeeeaaah...I remember that kind of dodgeball. That was intense. The game I'm playing would be a lot more chaotic if we had that rule, because when we've got just one player on the court, a lot of the time he has to stop dodging because the other team has no balls (oh, that was bad). Something about how each team has to have at least one ball in play. If the ball goes idle, just sitting out of bounds, anyone (in-play or not) can retrieve it and toss/roll it into play.

We have two fun strats: Deflection and Deception. Deflection is where you have a ball in you hand and you do the basketball player thing, where you can just grip the ball with one hand and hold it in front of you. This is only possible because we use foam, not the hollow rubber balls. Anyways, then we just knock an incoming ball up and away with our held ball. It nullifies any potential danger of getting out, and somebody else could catch it if the opportunity allows.

Deception is a really funny team effort. We have three armed men (min). One throws a really easy underhand ball, high arc and everything, to the other side. A few seconds later, while the team is set on focusing on that ball, we throw the other two at those guys. Works about...60 % of the time the first few times, then they usually catch on.
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Cut throat dodgeball is still the best form out there. Free for all, if your hit, you just sit down where you are. If your hit you can grab balls and hit people standing to get them out and you back in. You play with 5-6 balls randomly thrown in the air by the ref. Its madness.
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Return to The Scratch Wall