Segregated schools.

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Segregated schools.

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Toronto has them. Is there any reason for this at all?
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Re: Segregated schools.

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:11 am

Define segregated please.

There are multiple types of segregations and they all have benefits, but they also lose sometihng from not being mixed.

Separating boys and girls has been known to make both sexes work harder. Although it's not a perfect sollution, doing it in certain classes, such as foreign languages is quite useful, since Girls have a natural affinity for learning new languages, and boys are not prone to participate in a language classroom where most girls are better than they are. And the opposite is true for mathematics, this of course, might be because of old values carried by teachers that boys are better at math than girls, however, boys get more attention from teachers during math, and are as such, more likely to succeed. Having a girls only math class will free up a lot of attention that otherwise would have been taken by boys.

Boys also tend to have a laugh and play around more when girls are around, go figure.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:20 pm

If he means racially segregated then I'm going to vomit.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Separate schools for black people.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Of course, I'm not trying to be racist but... Canada has black people?
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 pm

From Wikipedia; take with appropriate amounts of salt:

In January 2008, the TDSB considered alternate schools for African Americans due to high drop-out rates for young, Black men.

And from the City News:

However some expressed enthusiasm for the idea. Diallo Masters opined, "I think that's a very good idea. More black influence."

The hypothetical African-centred alternative school would run from junior kindergarten to Grade 8 and aside from highlighting black history and achievements would also employ more black teachers and mentors.

"We've spoken to some of the kids and what they're saying is that the curriculum does not focus on who they are in a positive way," said Louis March of the African-Canadian Heritage Association. "It's time for change ... the current status-quo system is not working."

Such schools already exist in U.S. cities including Detroit and Washington, and though there aren't any black-focused schools in Ontario yet there is a grade school and high school for First Nations students and an alternative high school for gay and lesbian students.

The fact that some black leaders are pushing this boggles my mind. Isolating and insulating yourself isn't in the long run a particularly healthy solution, and quite frankly, what you'll end up with is Balkanized communities where no one relates to each other. I'm also shocked that some US schools, according to this article anyway, employ the same logic. Of course, the only logic a school board cares about is keeping the teacher's union happy and making sure that next levy passes.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Canada doesn't have the same racial tensions the way we do in America though.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:18 pm

That's true, though I can't speak to how the cultural climate is Canada. I imagine a somewhat similar climate exists in the UK and Europe. To be fair, though, slavery, even if you want to single out African slavery, isn't a singularly American failing; many other countries have sadly practiced slavery of one group or another since the dawn of history and indeed, it still exists today in various forms. It just seems incongruous to me, having heard so often in this country that integration is the correct and noble path to take. Again, to advocate having your own racially-oriented or whatever-oriented schools, speaking from my own country's experience, it's like blacks erecting their own "Whites Only" bathroom signs. There's a vast difference between being proud of your heritage and erecting barriers to insulate yourself from potential unpleasantness. There are obviously far deeper issues at work, but that's my quick and dirty two cents.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:12 pm

That's what I was thinking. It's like when black people whine about having Black History Month on the shortest month of the year. Would you like some cheese with that whine? Why the **** is there a Black History Month anyways? Is the history of other races not important? Why should black people get special schools? Is it that other people don't drop out? Apparently, they say that the school system is not made with black people in mind... Well it's not made with Chinese people in mind. Do we need a Chinese school now? What about Indians? Another school? What the ****, Toronto.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Black history month shouldn't be annulled because it makes other races less important. If anything it should be for trying to separate Black accomplishments from American (or Canadian) accomplishments.

Keep in mind that there is an Asian Pacific American Month in May and a Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15.

Also March is Women's History month.

Plus, I've never heard anyone comment seriously on the brevity of Black History Month. It's always been in a jocular fashion if that's brought up.

Anyway, here in America the achievement gap is a HUGE deal and officials are just scrambling for new ideas and plans to solve it. I assume it's similar in Canada?
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:58 am

No, we treat them like normal people.

...Except for this, of course.

If you think about it, it's like people saying "not that there's anything wrong with that" after discussion homosexuals. If there's nothing wrong with it, then stop talking about it like there is.
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 am

MusashiEX wrote:No, we treat them like normal people.

...Except for this, of course.

If you think about it, it's like people saying "not that there's anything wrong with that" after discussion homosexuals. If there's nothing wrong with it, then stop talking about it like there is.

Affirmative. Action.

Totally equal, totally normal. Funny thing is, most people are considered as being unfair if they don't give affirmative action, if not racist. But you could say that AA is not treating a black person equal, it's actually making them special. Fun.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:01 am

man speaking of racial problems, We've got aboriginal communites in northen queensland and Northen Territory where there's no school, more than 20 people live in each house, most of the members of the community have no work and spend their dole money on booze because they've got nothing better to do. If they can't afford booze, then they'll buy petrol or paint to sniff. And the amount child molestation and child abuse is insane. And what's the government doing about it? shit all. It's so bad that i heard of some 5 year old girl who had contracted 2 STDs.

The reason? Probably because they can't really embrace their aboriginal heratige. Because there is no school and all the adults are too out of it to teach them about their own culture, which makes them feel worthless.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Ghoti » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Teenr0cker wrote:Affirmative. Action.

Totally equal, totally normal. Funny thing is, most people are considered as being unfair if they don't give affirmative action, if not racist. But you could say that AA is not treating a black person equal, it's actually making them special. Fun.

i see you just got back from your sociology 101 class, how was it?
Ghoti
S1 Hilyn

Return to The Scratch Wall