RPG Maker Revolution

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

RPG Maker Revolution

Postby Shindy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_34U6Myos

The maker is perfectly fine compared to this ad. It actually has those neat features that were removed from RPGMakerXP.
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Re: RPG Maker Revolution

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:27 pm

PIXEL ART IS AWESOME!

It could end up being the best rpg maker ever, and I'll still never take it seriously thanks to that video.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Ghoti » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 pm

oh hey guys did you see the video, you can get eye-tems!!! Don't you just loooove getting those eye-tems!?! I know I do~!
Ghoti
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Ugh, I think I had a panic attack. The maker looks good though, I'm totally getting it, well, I will if it's free.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:07 pm

Heres some guy who has too much time on his hands that game a fully functional err..-game thats completed when the frigging RPG maker came out a month ago.
http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=274
download link is in the text so its find to hard... for u lazy people:
http://www.rpgmaker.net/~craze/VersusXerza/VX01.zip

Heres a review by some RPG maker veteran... Just read the bold prints if you are lazy :mrgreen:

Review by ShinyGiver
"Worth the upgrade from XP? Possibly yes, and also possibly no."
Introduction:

After obtaining my copy of this from Japan, I got very excited and decided to get this up and running right away. When I first tried this out, I was awed by the many features that came back from RPG Makers older than XP. I was also happy to see new features, such as a dungeon generator and so on. However, not too long into my enjoyment, I've noticed that there were a few flaws with this RPG Maker (Tsukuru in Japan).

Features 7/10:

This software has some neat new features, such as a dungeon generator and easy to manage, system tags (Items, Skills, Status etc). It also has the script editor from XP but with a cleaner interface and better organized.

What's keeping me from giving this section a 10 is the fact that due to rewritten modules from the new RGSS (A scripting system used in RPG Maker XP), most scripts made in RPG Maker XP won't work in VX. Also because of the fact that you are really limited in map making and you only get two layers to work with. What I mean by really limited in map making is that when making maps for your games, you'll only ever get to work with 5 tabs of one map tile throughout the entire project. A huge draw-back for RPG Maker veterans.

Graphics: 7/10

The default graphics from the Run Time Package, or RTP, are pretty nice, except for the fact that character sets are now chibi sized (And I mean this in a bad way). However, the artworks are okay and the tiles looks pretty smooth in a way. Also, the graphics resolution has gone down from XP, which is kind of bad. But if you don't like the RTP resources, you can always make some yourself or find some new ones.

Sound: 8/10

Although not as well done as the ones from XP, the musics and sounds are okay. It's more like something you'd hear from the older RPG Makers but a tad bit better. Sound effects are pretty much the same from XP so there's not much to say about them.

Usability: 10/10

Compared to XP, this RPG Maker is very easy to use. It has returning features that were taken out of XP and some new ones at that. It's by far the most advanced but user-friendly RPG Maker out there. Even if you're just starting out, it'll be a piece of cake once you learn what everything is and does. This program is more devoted to those who are just making games for fun, but if you want to sell your games (Provided you made everything yourself or have permission to sell the materials along with your game), you can do that too.

Buy Or Trial First?:

Trial first. You'd want to experience a piece of this before you go out and buy it. I wouldn't want you guys to feel disappointed if the flaws I've mentioned were a big bother to you. However, scripting is not usable in the trial version.

Final comments:

To be honest, I was quite satisfied with this RPG Maker but a bit disappointed in a way too. I can see myself making a game with this engine so hopefully you can too, if you ever decide to buy this and try it out. If you ever wanted to make a game, I recommend this software for starters.
Reviewer's Score: 7/10, Originally Posted: 01/28/08

Game Release: RPG Tsukuru VX (JP, 12/27/07)
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Shindy wrote:Heres some guy who has too much time on his hands that game a fully functional err..-game thats completed when the frigging RPG maker came out a month ago.
http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=274
download link is in the text so its find to hard... for u lazy people:
http://www.rpgmaker.net/~craze/VersusXerza/VX01.zip

You fail to mention that the game blows :P
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:06 pm

I tried this a month ago. I'd say it was better than RMXP, but that certainly doesn't mean much. Rmk2/3 still beat both.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Preki » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 am

Some Hassan guy written on Polish TiTek forum about that... (errr...) crap. They want to make something much better than older RPG Makers, despite to fact, that many amateur developers is still using previous makers like 2000 or 2003. However, we got Powermode2003 - an add-on to RM2k3, and we'll going to have another one thing of that sort. I don't know it's name, but this makes RM2k3 much much better than RMXP* or that 'cool' RMVX. Just read description (translated from [url="http://www.tsukuru.pl"]Tsukuru Archive[/url] news):
Imagine now patch, that gives more than Powermode 2003 - supports bigger amount of pictures (up to 200) with processing texts into image, setting text window size, open variable manipulating, aqquiring real date and time, or even (I don't belive that I write this) online game! The patch is being developed from one and half a year by some freak German RM-maniac, and the recent version is aviavable for "the choosen ones". The patch has obviously many more options - but it's hard to write about them - patch allows to use scripting language (something like JavaScript). So abilities are great.

This proves, that older RPG Makers CAN be better than the new ones. And what? RMVX... suxx!

*sometimes called "RMxD"
Burn me...
Preki
Plyn

Postby Sling » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:45 am

Well I keep trying to install VX but my computer keeps telling me it's spyware. Awesome.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:55 am

Was that voice-over done by Billie Mays' retarded clone?
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Return to The Scratch Wall