Another trailer for The Way that will make you blush

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Another trailer for The Way that will make you blush

Postby LunC » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:50 pm

I knew it would be difficult to top the amount of embarrassment generated by the last song choice (Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"), but I think this mainstream track just may just have what it takes.

http://www.crestfallen.us/downloads/theway_trailer2.wmv

Tell me what you think.
LunC
Pharaphalyn

Re: Another trailer for The Way that will make you blush

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:20 pm

To be honest, I think that while it does explain the basic premise fairly well it also fails to capture the spirit of the game and contains too many spoilers.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby tulleh » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:24 pm

First trailer was win, downloading!
tulleh
Plyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 pm

It kinda makes The Way look like a sappy love story. It doesn't really show any other side of the game.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah, I think it's misleading. A trailer should represent what the game is actually about... It doesn't fit, and even less so with how futile the search for Serena was. And how many loose ends and plotholes still seem to remain, to the point where we still don't really know what happened to her or to Rhue anyway. There are other aspects of the story which add a lot more depth to it.

And where's Lexus?
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:26 pm

I agree with the others about focusing too much on the love story aspect of it, but I think the level of spoilers is fine since when you think about it someone seeing this trailer with no prior knowledge of the game isn't gonna remember most of the specifics of what happened in the video, and what they do get from it will be completely out of context. Sort of like how a lot of people seemed to not even remember Slade was in EP1 until they play through it again since his role was so brief and no background was given for the character. I trailer with the same style but that showed more aspects of the story would probably be the best yet. I still imagine an instrumental version of Freedom as the perfect song for it, but as far as I know that only exists in midi form.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I have the instrumental of Freedom (radio mix) in MP3, I actually sent it to Impossible a while ago.

Anyway, now that I finally got a chance to view the trailer... and have the sound on, I liked it.

I think most of it was very well thought out. The parallels from the beginning of the trailer to the end, were very nice.
-Traziun: "You're way over your head" |->| "I don't care, If I don't win, I'll lose her"
-Kloe: "You're a bad, bad man." |->| "I'm all alone, please help me" and Rhue shows up
-Cetsa: "I don't like you" to Rhue |->| "I don't like you" to Cetsa
-Lyrra: "You're not who I thought you were" |->| Rhue (unwittingly) saving Lyrra
The strings of sequences, such as discussing Serena or just yelling "Rhue" fit very well.
We also have the boy telling the girl that he'll protect her while running through the forest, and it flashes to Rhue saving Cetsa and Scatha.
Some of scenes with the lyrics matching up to the events were very nice
-"Sun's gonna shine": Scatha and Rhue discussing the light and dark.
-"Water's gonna rise": The girl being knocked into the river.
-"and I'll carry you home": Rhue carrying Scatha through the caves.
And toward the end, the girl from the dream city: "I was waiting for someone, but I don't think they'll be coming...", which could definitely be foreshadowing for Rhue and Serena never meeting up again.
I also thought that the discussion with Lilah setup the theme of the trailer and concluded it very well.

(I did paraphrase some things in there.)

The trailer definitely accomplished what it was intended to do, the theme was love. Which is really the theme of The Way. If anything, it is a tragic love story, we just tend to think otherwise because of all the turns it makes, and the fact that the traditional female role is absent for the whole story, or is it just taken over by the others?

Impossible, let it go already. I know you like to cry over the loose ends and "plotholes", but that is way it goes. If you can't accept the way a story ends, you'll be sorely disappointed with life.

Anyway Lun, bravo.
Last edited by Strayed Wanderer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 pm

If the video walkthrough had ever been completed, I would so pour my time into making a trailer set to Knights of Cydonia.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 am

Maybe the next time you make a trailer, you could swap in a systemset that doesn't have the blinky arrows in the message box. I really dislike those things.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Angel_OA » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 pm

EmperorJeramyu wrote:If the video walkthrough had ever been completed, I would so pour my time into making a trailer set to Knights of Cydonia.

Do it! Just do it for the love of god! No offence to Lun but his choices for music so far have been dreadful...just terrible. But I guess it's a good sign that the game footage still stands up against it.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:11 am

I like Muse but they are so hideously overated by stupid scene, pop and indy retards.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby LunC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks for the comments. And thank you Strayed for noting some of the thought that went into the vid.

1. I can definitely get rid of the blinky arrows for any future videos. (If I remember...)

2. If I do another vid, it will probably be accompanied by a track from The Union Underground, a now defunct nu metal rock band. Anybody familiar with them?
LunC
Pharaphalyn

Postby Angel_OA » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm

That will be awesome!
Is this next trailer going to be more action oriented then?
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 pm

LunC wrote:2. If I do another vid, it will probably be accompanied by a track from The Union Underground, a now defunct nu metal rock band. Anybody familiar with them?

Heh. If I remember the library in Inception Act 2 you're a bit of a wrestling fan? Across the Nation doesn't really strike me as right for any Way trailer, but that's the only song from them I've heard so I'm sure you've got a better idea.

And
LunC wrote:metal

is usually a step in the right direction.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby tulleh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Make a new game imo! :P
tulleh
Plyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall