The Wheel of Time series...

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: The Wheel of Time series...

Postby Sling » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:25 pm

To be honest I don't think that any film can be as good as the book it was based on. Then again, I am far to easy to impress when it comes to films so I'm sure I won't care anyway.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby PsychicK » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:58 am

Sling wrote:To be honest I don't think that any film can be as good as the book it was based on. Then again, I am far to easy to impress when it comes to films so I'm sure I won't care anyway.

Lord of the Rings definitely doesn't fit in that.
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:34 pm

I got my copy of The Gathering Storm the other week. :)
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Nice, it's definitely one of the better ones of the series.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 am

I have only read the plot synopsis so far. It's such a shame that Robert Jordan passed away. Sounds like Brandon Sanderson did a good job connecting all the dots and finishing what was started.

Either way, from what I can tell. They are still going ahead with making the Wheel of Time into a film series, starting with Eye of the Storm. Apparently, it is due to be released in 2011.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277941/

Make of it what you will.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:22 pm

I swear, that page is just set up to always be two years ahead of whatever year it currently is. Kinda like the Ender's Game movie.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:42 am

The Gathering Storm was incredibly good. The rest of the series is good but at no point during book 12 was I not compelled to read further. Every chapter, every POV, it's all significant to the storyline and interesting to read. I used to think of Wheel of Time as a series in which each book is equally significant to the series, of course it's still important to read them all, but if Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light are as good or better than The Gathering Storm, then the rest of the books are just a set up for the final insanely good trilogy.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:33 pm

When I saw the twelfth book came out I decided to reread the series from Eye of the Storm. For some reason I quit reading the series at book 7?8? years back I think it was because I didnt want to read to book 11 and never be able to finish the series. As for Ender's Game I really hope they make a movie for it. Its my favorite book of all time I guess because I saw myself as the Ender. :D I guess everyone else does too....
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 am

Yeah, a few of the plotlines in the later books drag out way too long and/or just plain suck. Namely Faile's kidnapping and the neverending bowl of winds plotline. Combining those with the fact its a 12 book series it can be pretty hard to get through.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:50 am

It's true. After reading book 12 I started rereading the series, and so far I've gotten up to book 6 without really getting bored with it. But I'm pretty sure Dumai Wells is the last really interesting thing until Rand removes the taint. Perrin's PoV has interesting parts... but drags out for a lot of the later books, somehow Mat manages to stay interesting the whole time, and after Egwene becomes Amyrlin she's boring until book 11 -_-
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby randomperson » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 am

May as well bump this since ToM just got released.

Amazing series, I only discovered it a few months back and read through them all very quickly. Great books, I didn't find them dull at any point really. Some plotlines went on longer than they needed to but the conversations and characters were always fun to read about.

On ToM, I am SO glad Perrin is back to his pre-WH awesomeness, the forging of the hammer was a great scene. And Rand Sedai is the coolest thing ever. Shame Egwene seems to have lost the brilliance she had in KoD-TGS but she's still decent. It was just more fun when she was trying to become Amyrlin than it is now she's actually achieved it.
randomperson
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:04 am

I'm probably not getting ToM until xmas so I can't really comment on it yet, but I really want to read it.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 am

The only thing you need to know about Towers of Midnight is that Rand now kicks the shit out of everything, Mat and Perrin do some pretty cool shit too, and at the end of the book 'the last battle' (is actually more of a war, as you'd expect) has already begun but the last battle is still coming.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby randomperson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 am

And also that we find out who killed Asmodean.

No, seriously.
randomperson
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:14 am

Well shit. Fair warning to anyone who hasn't read it yet, the glossary contains full spoilers for the book. I managed three spoilers in just one entry, including the Asmodean killer.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to The Scratch Wall