The Wheel of Time series...

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: The Wheel of Time series...

Postby Forerunner » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 am

Old news, I know, but I'm bored and avidly waiting for the next book still.

Sling wrote:My understanding of Elayne is that she is just Rand's annoying but hawt fuck buddy who just happens to be the heir to the Andorian and Cairhienin thrones. She is nowhere near as an annoying bitch as Egwene. No one is. If I could reach into the book and punch Egwene in the face, I would.

Is it just me but is Gawyn really fucking annoying too? I like how badass he has become in becoming this great military leader type guy, but he also comes off as just this hate-filled douche who hates Rand for, well, being Rand. Like how he doesn't even consider that Rand didn't kill Morgase, but automatically believes that he did it.

Pretty much. On both accounts.

Sling wrote:Perrin and Mat are still good characters. Perrin is only slightly annoying, in that he seems to be so pussy-footed about killing bad guys just becuase he don't want to give in to his "inner wolf." I think it would have been better if that had just cut out that horse shit altogether or maybve just only included it subtely from time to time instead of just slapping us in the face with it. Yes, Perrin is one of these wolf guys. He is afraid of going nuts like some of them have been known to do. We know, we get that, but why the fuck did he have to become so emotional about it? Like, how every time he considers fighting and combat he is like: "OMG, WE CAN'T KILL PEOPLE?!" I understand that he has been haunted and harrowed by incidents where things went over the top, but come on dude, get a fucking grip.

On this note, I think the coolest scene with Perrin was either when he forged his new hammer, or when he went 'hard' and chopped off that Shaido's hand. Seriously, the Aiel are hard to break. But his idea fucking owned their entire concept of suffering.

Sling wrote:The side plot with Avienda was awesome, I mean, if I am not mistaken, the visions of the future show the future generations developing guns and other more modern equipment, although I was royally pissed off that the Aiel had somehow been defeated by the Seanchan.

Agreed on both accounts again. I like the concept that in the 'wheel of time' the same 3 ages repeat themselves over and over again. The first age; 'the age of legends', where using both the one power and advancing technology the world achieves a sort of ages of peace, or more accurately the world is already at peace therefore giving them the time to develop new things and acheive the impossible. Then some dick fucks things up, partially releases the Dark One, and bam we're in the second age, an age of constant war, ie. the trolloc wars, the war of 100 years etc. After everyone gets sick of war then begins the third age, the age where the dark one is(or has been) slowly becoming fully free, and the forces of 'light' have to pick their shit up a pace to seal him again and save the universe. The dragon/dragon reborn dies (or doesn't), leaving everyone united, the world at peace, ready to pave the way into the new age which is coincidentally a lot like the first age. Rinse and repeat.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:No idea what Lanfear's thing was, but I'm going with manipulation. For what I have no idea. But a 'Lanfear was really good on the inside' revelation just seems silly.

I agree entirely, and yet somehow I feel like that is honestly what BS is going to go with.

I think we've already discussed how Logain's 'Crown of Glory' pretty much indicates that while Rand (potentially) sacrifices his life at Tarmon Gaidon, Logain lives on, becomes the Tamylrin, and becomes the most famous male channeler of the next few ages. That royally pisses me off. Despite his decent nature, Logain has been and will always be an asshat in my books. He'd be nothing but a false dragon without Rand's amnesty, and can stay that way as far as I'm concerned.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Re: The Wheel of Time series...

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Agreed on both accounts again. I like the concept that in the 'wheel of time' the same 3 ages repeat themselves over and over again. The first age; 'the age of legends', where using both the one power and advancing technology the world achieves a sort of ages of peace, or more accurately the world is already at peace therefore giving them the time to develop new things and acheive the impossible. Then some dick fucks things up, partially releases the Dark One, and bam we're in the second age, an age of constant war, ie. the trolloc wars, the war of 100 years etc. After everyone gets sick of war then begins the third age, the age where the dark one is(or has been) slowly becoming fully free, and the forces of 'light' have to pick their shit up a pace to seal him again and save the universe. The dragon/dragon reborn dies (or doesn't), leaving everyone united, the world at peace, ready to pave the way into the new age which is coincidentally a lot like the first age. Rinse and repeat.

There's more than 3 ages at least. Most of the quotes from before and after each book come from the fourth age if i remember correctly. Also what you said was the first age was the second age. We know almost nothing about the first age, i think we know portal stones come from then, but that's it. So because we don't know about that age we don't know when the second age started, but its the whole age of legends, and ends with the breaking of the world. The trollic wars and 100 years war is all third age. Fourth age would be the visions Avienda saw. First age wouldn't come around again until some event basically restarts humanity because they will have to think they're the first age again.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Previous

Return to The Scratch Wall