The Wheel of Time series...

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Wheel of Time series...

Postby Sling » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 pm

...is apparantly going to be made into films. I have but one word to say. Awesome!!!
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Re: The Wheel of Time series...

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 am

Is this actual new information, or did you just stumble upon some ages old article about it that never ended up really happening?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:50 am

"On 12 August 2008, Variety.com reported that Universal Pictures had optioned the rights to produce feature film adaptations of the Wheel of Time books. The movies will be produced by Red Eagle Entertainment."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=13&cs=1
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Ah, that's new. Some company had rights to make a Eye of the World miniseries or something for awhile but never did anything with it, that's what I was thinking of.
This would be so cool if it were done right.(How many times has that been said about something.) I don't think it could be done right though. To much story to tell, and you just no they'll try to combine books as opposed to trying to make 12 movies, which while understandable, would just make it worse.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Pretty much. Stupid fucking "mainstream". As long as they get them fairly good then I won't mind too much.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Cavalier » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:57 pm

At least they'll be able to get rid of a good one third of the books by just panning over what the characters are wearing.

Seriously though, I'm excited about this, it could turn out really well, though I always thought it would do well as a television series rather then a movie. It could turn out really well.
Cavalier
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah, and cutting down on how much the girls bitch would cut it down another third i guess.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PsychicK » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:30 am

So true! :P

A miniseries would be awesome though. Personally I'm around the middle of the series... its just way too long. Ain't gonna give up!
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I managed to read all of the books in a month.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm sorry, but I really don't believe that.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 pm

I have Asperger's Syndrome.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:25 am

Considering how huge WoT is, I think it'd do better as a mini-series, like they made out of Star Wars.

Just using that as an example, the Clone Wars cartoons show way more of the storyline. Whereas even at the start of the Revenge of the Sith movie you come into it wondering "Why is this space battle happening, and why is Grevious coughing like a terminal nicotine addict?"

I shudder at the thought of them doing that to Wheel of Time.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:19 am

Forerunner wrote:Considering how huge WoT is, I think it'd do better as a mini-series, like they made out of Star Wars.

Just using that as an example, the Clone Wars cartoons show way more of the storyline. Whereas even at the start of the Revenge of the Sith movie you come into it wondering "Why is this space battle happening, and why is Grevious coughing like a terminal nicotine addict?"

I shudder at the thought of them doing that to Wheel of Time.

But WoT has somewhere in the range of ~100 books. Star Wars is just 6 movies.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 pm

EA is going to make a series of WoT video games and an MMO. Knowing EA they'll be milking it for all that its worth so that's at least 13 games right there before they just start making shit up. And yes, they are all going to be terrible.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PsychicK » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:12 am

In November, Red Eagle producer Rick Selvage told Venture Beat that each game will debut alongside a Wheel of Time theatrical release, and the studio expects "no less than three" films based on the books, hinging upon how well they perform. According to Variety, Universal Pictures will team with Red Eagle on producing the films.

Source: GameSpot
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall