Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby tridon777 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:21 pm

I know your boards have been dead lately, but hopefully you can still welcome a new member. lol Anyways I have read alot of your topics in mostly every category and I really enjoyed the game. I joined hopefully to find answers to some of my questions on the game. :)
tridon777
Plyn

Re: New Member

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 pm

It's that new car smell.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby tridon777 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Lol.
I have a TON of questions. :lol:
I have a few, but if Lun has the time he should use XLA to convert The Way for the xbox.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Ugh. I'm fairly certain that the majority of the XBL community doesn't deserve The Way.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Hey, you never know. I just want The Way to be known to more people because I think it has an excellent story and would like to see the entire game updated. I would compare it storywise to FF7. FF7 had a lot going for it, but in my opinion the story of The Way was on par or better. Personally I think The Way would do well in the Xbox Live Arcade Community. Look at Braid which I havn't personally played, but from looking at reviews it had addicting gameplay with an excellent story behind it that made the reviewers ask questions about life.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Well, it can't simply happen for no other reason than it's both legally and technically impossible. Because:

A) The English RPG Maker 2000, which with The Way was made is illegal (both the translation itself, and the fact that it's not free software).
B) Most of the resources and music are taken from copyrighted sources.
C) It was made in RPG Maker, which is inexorably separated from real programming languages like C# and the XNA .NET framework which are the main languages for XLA games.

So to avoid these issues, Lun would have to remake the entire thing from the ground up, which is impossibly daunting for one person (most XLA games are made by at least small teams with budgets). Not to mention the overhead involved in acquiring the IDEs and tool sets for developing XLA games (it's not free or cheap, I've talked with someone involved in the process before). It also has to pass Microsoft's rather strict quality checking people, and be downloaded enough and make enough money to not be delisted. A six-part Japanese console-style RPG isn't necessarily a fit for this whole process.

I can't speak for Lun, obviously, but there's something to be said for delivering an engrossing and powerful game for free as well.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:52 am

why xbox anyway? Most xbox user would never appreciate a 16bit jrpg. Speaking of conversions. what ever happend to that talk of doing it for wii or something? I'm sure there was a topic around here where everyone discussed the possibility.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby tridon777 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Very true. :cry: I forgot the consequences of making a game on an illegal program. rofl. :lol: Though I thought all the music on the game was original I know some of it was. What were the other songs taken from?

About XLA, Dishwasher Samurai ( I think thats the name or some variation on it) was made by one person and was a success. The Wii though I think would be harder because Nintendo I don't think is very open to arcade games by third party software unless you count the Turbo Grafx 16. (Again Im not very good at remembering names of things.)

I own a Wii though so that would be very intresting if The Way came out for it.......
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22

There is an entire thread dedicated to the discussion of where the music comes from.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am

tridon777 wrote:Though I thought all the music on the game was original I know some of it was. What were the other songs taken from?
You're saying you don't recognise, or even worse, don't even know Aeris' Theme from Final Fantasy 7? No. That's beyond fail.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Well first off its been at least 5 yrs since I last touched FF7 and its been 6 mths since I touched The Way. Though Aeris theme song I loved I just forgot how it went.........lol.

If I went back to The Way I could probably find it. Anyways I listen to more rock music than classical now.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Sling » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 am

An excuse is an excuse and no substitute for the truth.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Your right lol. I should just stop by vg music and listen to it again. :lol:
tridon777
Plyn

Postby War » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 am

Naa, don't worry about Sling, screw FF7.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 am

I'm actually with War on this one. FF7 is hardly anything to rave over a decade later.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall