Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: New Member

Postby tridon777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:20 pm

FF7 wasnt the first RPG i played but it was the first RPG that made me really care about the characters. I think The Way had a better story and more meaningful characters, but FF7 will always be one of my favorites. lol FF7 made me play all the old school FFs. The only old FF I havnt completed is #4.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Sling » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:11 am

I know pretty much every FF track from 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 and I haven't played those games in years. Then again, I have super memory.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 am

I dont think AS gives you super memory if thats what you are implying. AS one of the symptoms is intense focus on a narrow range of subjects so you just played the games so much that the music became ingrained in your head. Heck, I could have said I had AS when I was younger. lol Not trying to say anything about AS just pointing out a difference.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:08 pm

oh god here we go.

I'm sure Sling will be more than happy to tell you allllllll about his AS.

Come to think of it, is never shutting about having Asperger's a symptom of having it? It's certainly a symptom of having self-diagnosed AS, which is a clear indicator of douchebaggery, since AS is invoked as a fad disorder whenever some idiot wants to give a medical explanation for plain ol' dumbassery, the treatment for which is not pills, but a solid ass-kicking.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby tridon777 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:28 pm

:lol: Its a true neurological disease, but the symptons are so vague that any person labeled "loner" "outcast" "nerd" "geek" could fake having AS. I had 3/4ths of the symptons down to the dot when I was in Junior High, but then again people change. I think the only conclusive evidence for Sling to be AS would be a CAT scan since even the tests doctors do for AS are too vague and not reliable. Just my view on AS.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Angel_OA » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:16 am

I always thought of Sling as more of a Narcisist.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 pm

tridon777 wrote:I dont think AS gives you super memory if thats what you are implying.

I've only played each game twice. I am replaying them now, but I'm only up to FF4. I also never mentioned AS in that post, just that I had super memory. I was professionally diagnosed... twice, although I may get a CAT scan to shut up people who think AS is made up. Thanks for the tip. Either way, if you want to know about AS and other ASDs, then go to WrongPlanet.net. The Wikipedia article on AS is pretty accurate if you want to give that a spin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome.

Emperor Jeramyu wrote:Come to think of it, is never shutting about having Asperger's a symptom of having it?
I have only mentioned having AS once or twice. I can recall 5 times at most. I don't think I've ever used it as an excuse for idiocy. The only excuses I have ever used were: "I was drunk" and "I have anger problems", which were true at the time of my postings. Either way you seem to have missed one rather salient point: I used to use satire a lot in those days. (late 05-early 07)

Emperor Jeramyu wrote:the treatment for which is not pills, but a solid ass-kicking.
Sounds like a challenge. Anything in particular you want to debate about, or are you just piss-taking?

tridon777 wrote:Its a true neurological disease
The correct term is Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Also, if I were you I'd avoid using the term "disease". Some people with AS can be quite touchy. It's best if you use the word "condition".

tridon777 wrote:could fake having AS
Why would anyone want to fake having AS? You only have half of the benefits of being Autistic (and this varies widely) and practically none of the benefits of being an NT. I guess nerdy people could fake AS to gain acceptance in the Aspie community, but we tend to catch on to wannabes quick.

Angel_OA wrote:I always thought of Sling as more of a Narcisist.
Really? How so? I'd say I initially come across as an arrogant and insufferable know-it-all, but not a Narcissist.
Last edited by Sling on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm

People fake or rather, act like mild AS is actually an uncommon issue for the sake of having an excuse to do something poorly but accept even greater praise on anything they do well. It's the same issue that people have with ADD/ADHD.

Too many kids are diagnosed with such a mild form of the condition that it is pointless to actually acknowledge it. The variability in personality, intelligence and every other trait within the human race is just too great to call slight detriments a disease or disorder.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:People fake or rather, act like mild AS is actually an uncommon issue for the sake of having an excuse to do something poorly but accept even greater praise on anything they do well. It's the same issue that people have with ADD/ADHD.

Too many kids are diagnosed with such a mild form of the condition that it is pointless to actually acknowledge it. The variability in personality, intelligence and every other trait within the human race is just too great to call slight detriments a disease or disorder.

Actually, AS is a verifiable condition. Although I do agree that too many people are jumping "Hey, I'm a social outcast so I must have AS" bandwagon these days, as if it somehow makes them better off. For the record, I don't have mild AS. As far as levels of AS, I have quite high levels. Mindyou, AS is a mild form of Autism, or Higher Functioning Autism. Eitherway, AS isn't "slight detriments" but observable and testable symptoms. Oh and Jera, sorry for going on about AS, I can't miss an opportunity to regurgitate useless pieces of information. Especially when it is on a matter than nobody cares about.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:36 pm

It is difficult to decide which point to pick apart first... but I'll go with a cheap one:

A pimple is a verifiable condition, it is observable and testable. Granted, I'm using the term "condition" very loosely to prove a point.

Second, I just explained how it "makes them better off". Good job trying to distance yourself from them though, it wasn't obvious at all.

Oh? You have high levels of AS? That's interesting. Instead of pretending to take the high road with other statements, you could've actually taken the high road and not brought up the severity of your own condition.

Now... how about we discuss the actually diagnosis of AS, which is easily confusable with a host of other disorders as well as a few personality quirks? Obviously I'm not going to do that. It would be senseless, I'm sure you know it already.

I'm going to take the low road here, and just make the statement that you are an insufferable douchebag. That is your disorder. You may or may not have AS as far as I am concerned, but it is well beyond eclipsed by that collection of vaginal waste in your skin.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:I'm going to take the low road here, and just make the statement that you are an insufferable douchebag. That is your disorder.
That's rich coming from you. I tend to reserve douchebaggery for fuck-wits, but maybe since that is all you have experienced of me, that really just explains it all. I could dignify you with a reasoned response but I don't like to feel the need to feed your ever growing ego. Your post was, just like 100% of what you say, nothing but non-sequiturs, cariactures, straw men and vitriol.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm

You win.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Strayed Wanderer wrote:You win.

Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby tridon777 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Well that was heated. rofl

Yes, Sling I have already read the Wikipedia page on AS and been to Wrong Planet. Very interesting on both sites. Though I have to agree with Strayed Wanderer that AS is like ADD/ADHD in that people are often misdiagnosed with them as the doctor just cant tell the parent that their kid just needs discipline, social interaction etc...... plus thedoctor can make money of the diagnosis. :twisted:

Sling wrote:tridon777 wrote:
Its a true neurological disease
The correct term is Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Also, if I were you I'd avoid using the term "disease". Some people with AS can be quite touchy. It's best if you use the word "condition".

As to the "disease" part thats true even if it does offend sensibilities since AS is inherited. Genetics can be tough sometimes.

Sling wrote:could fake having AS
Why would anyone want to fake having AS? You only have half of the benefits of being Autistic (and this varies widely) and practically none of the benefits of being an NT. I guess nerdy people could fake AS to gain acceptance in the Aspie community, but we tend to catch on to wannabes quick.

Just to have people leave you alone. Believe me sometimes being alone is more relaxing. I never have faked AS, but sometimes you just want to get away from all the BS and drama of high school.
tridon777
Plyn

Postby Sling » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm

tridon777 wrote:Well that was heated. rofl

That's how Strayed works. Although, I used to be worse back in the day.

tridon777 wrote:discipline, social interaction etc

I had both of those when I was a kid.

tridon777 wrote:plus thedoctor can make money of the diagnosis.

I live in the UK. Health care is free over here. We have the NHS.

tridon777 wrote:As to the "disease" part thats true even if it does offend sensibilities since AS is inherited.

Firstly, it is still unknown if AS is inherited: -
Wikipedia wrote:The exact cause is unknown, although research supports the likelihood of a genetic basis; brain imaging techniques have not identified a clear common pathology.

Secondly, the correct medical term for AS is either disorder or syndrome: -
Wikipedia wrote:A medical condition is a general term used to describe an observation made that can have an impact on the health of an individual. The term is sometimes used when a study encompasses a diverse variety of clinical entities, such as in the evaluation of generalist care. Although the phrase is sometimes equated with disease, usage of the latter term can be questionable in some contexts.

Wikipedia wrote:In human beings,"disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes extreme pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, and/or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts and for other purposes these may be considered distinguishable categories.

Wikipedia wrote:Asperger syndrome (also called Asperger's syndrome, Asperger's disorder, Asperger's or AS) is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD)

Wikipedia wrote:The autism spectrum, also called autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or autism spectrum conditions (ASC), with the word autistic sometimes replacing autism, is a spectrum of psychological conditions

Wikipedia wrote:In medicine and psychology, the term syndrome refers to the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one feature alerts the physician to the presence of the others. In recent decades the term has been used outside of medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

And lastly, disease can only really be applied to AS colloquially. Even if AS is considered a disease it best to use a synonym due to the negativity the word disease conjures up: -
Wiktionary wrote:condition (plural conditions)

1. A logical clause or phrase that a conditional statement uses. The phrase can either be true or false.
2. The health status of a medical patient.
3. The state of any object, referring to the amount of its wear.
4. (obsolete) The situation of a person or persons, particularly their social and/or economic class, rank

Wiktionary wrote:disease (plural diseases)

1. (pathology) An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired.

The tomato plants had some kind of disease that left their leaves splotchy and fruit withered.

Wiktionary wrote:disorder (plural disorders)

1. absence of order; state of not being arranged in an orderly manner

After playing the children left the room in disorder.

2. a disturbance of civic peace or of public order

The class was thrown into disorder when the teacher left the room
The army tried to prevent disorder when claims the elections had been rigged grew stronger.

3. (medicine) a physical or psychical malfunction

Bulimia is an eating disorder.

Wiktionary wrote:syndrome (plural syndromes)

1. (pathology) A recognizable pattern of symptoms or behaviours.

Harper-Collins Dictionary (Eighth Edition, 2006) wrote:condition (ken'difen)n 5 an ailment of physical condition: a heart condition

Harper-Collins Dictionary (Eighth Edition, 2006) wrote:disease (di'zi:z) n 1 any impairment of normal physiological function affecting all or part of an organism, esp a specific pathological change caused by infection, stress, etc producing characteristic symptoms; illness or sickness in general.

Harper-Collins Dictionary (Eighth Edition, 2006) wrote:disorder (dis'c:da) n 3 an upset of health; ailment

Harper-Collins Dictionary (Eight Edition, 2006) wrote:syndrome (sindreum) n 1 med any combination of signs and symptons that are indicative of a particular disorder 2 a symptom, characteristic, or set of symptoms or characteristics indicating the existence of a condition, problem

tridon777 wrote:Just to have people leave you alone. Believe me sometimes being alone is more relaxing. I never have faked AS, but sometimes you just want to get away from all the BS and drama of high school.
If I wanted people to leave me alone at High School, I would either a)beat them up or b)walk off/ignore them, depending on the nature of their harassment. Most times people didn't bother me or get on my nerves. Being alone, like being around others, is a two-edged sword. Both are good, just not too much.

On a side note, LunC was actually here, but I think we (I) scared him away.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to The Scratch Wall