My HDD got pwnt?

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

My HDD got pwnt?

Postby Preki » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 am

Well... a couple of years ago, something on my HDD was burned. I don't know why this happened, either I don't care about this. I only wanna know one thing - is my HDD able to be repaired, or it's got owned? Look at the photo below, maybe this will help.
Aaaand, one more important thingy, the HDD is Seagate's ST34001A.
Burn me...
Preki
Plyn

Re: My HDD got pwnt?

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:58 pm

If you're actually thinking about having it fixed, I sure hope you have something you really want on it. Anyone who could fix it would probably charge you way too much, and not guarantee anything.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Preki » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:17 am

If I didn't had something you really want on it, then I wouldn't care. I tried changing electronics, so I bought this same HDD. But this one has newer electronics (manufactured in 2004, mine previous was form 2003), so it failed as a spare part donor. Maybe buying this same HDD, from the same year like damaged one will help?
Burn me...
Preki
Plyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 pm

If your HDD fails, there's really nothing you can do. Switching parts isn't gonna work. If you really want to get some files back, take it to some repair place. You'll get charged a couple hundred dollars and you'll get back all of 2 megabytes of data.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I completely fucked over the hard disk of my old laptopsome time ago by punching the spacebar in a drunken rage. I took my laptop to a repair place and they swapped the hard disk for a new one and, since I didn't have a disk for the OS, provided me with a nice shiny copy of XP SP2 and transferred all the old data from my laptop onto the new one and they only charged me for the OS disc and the new HDD, which still pretty fucking expensive (£150 total (I think that is around $300). Although, my HDD was partioned and for some reason only one paritition was fucked, which was the one with all the OS and Program data on it. The partition with all my personal data was okay.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Sling wrote:(I think that is around $300).

OUCH.

I've kept the same personal file folder since probably 1995, transferring it from computer to computer, even through a laptop explosion. I'm amazed I've never lost it.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Jera, the time to knock on wood is NOW.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Return to The Scratch Wall