Harry Potter and the end of the world.

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Harry Potter and the end of the world.

Postby Glenn47 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 am

So I read all four Twilight books, and thought they were pretty good. I loved the first one, was okay with the second, liked the third, and enjoyed the fourth. So I bought Meyer's other book, The Host, for my mom, and then eventually ended up reading it.

The problem I have with Stephanie Meyer though? The male character in The Host basically IS Edward Cullen without vampire skills. The same exact descriptions on how the main girl feels about the main guy are used in Twilight AND The Host, all the time. And every other character gets the same adjectives used in both books to describe them, all the time.

Overall, I don't read much, so my criticisms on Twilight are fewer. It was decent at times, and boring at times, but ultimately worth reading if you can ignore the unrealistic views on love, the lacking plot, and the TERRIBLE movie they made from it.

Those who read it, did you notice this? Edward Cullen is apparently the hottest man on earth, and you know why? They NEVER describe what he looks like. Brown hair, golden eyes (I think), somewhat pale, and tone. This description is coupled with Bella finding him irresistible. Everything else was left to the imagination of the female reader. Quite a brilliant way to make a "heartthrob" character, I must admit.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 am

It was decent at times, and boring at times, but ultimately worth reading if you can ignore the unrealistic views on love, the lacking plot, and the TERRIBLE movie they made from it.

Good luck finding many people who are ok with ignoring all that.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Glenn47 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, true.

On a separate note, a teacher of mine in my "Mass Media and Society" class called Harry Potter "important." When the class laughed he went on to explain that Harry Potter made JK Row...ling? the second most selling author alive (with only seven children's books, compared to the #1 person who has been writing for decades) and also she is the second-richest person in England now, with the queen being the one ahead of her I believe.

Harry Potter - Important...for some reason.
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby War » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:19 am

I bet the #1 most selling author is Steven King.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:30 pm

I do believe it's actually Agatha Christie. I didn't have too much luck with a quick search of best selling authors of all time, but the list at Wikipedia (take it as you will) indicates that Christie, William Shakespeare, Danielle Steel, Leo Tolstoy and Dr. Suess are among those who have sold more than J.K.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 pm

R.L. Stine is actually beating Stephen King in the Max Estimated Books...
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 pm

As if I needed another reason to hate the world...
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:25 pm

What I don't understand is how shit like Harry Potter and Twilight make loads of money and decent books and films are less successful. Oh no wait, I do understand. It's becuase the majority of people are fucking stupid, have no imagination and won't watch anything that requires them to think or to remember lots of things.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Otaku No Anime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:34 am

In the film and television industry, you can always make a profit from questioning the intelligence of your audience...or at the very least, you probably won't lose much by doing so. =P
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 pm

"Ron said something. Hermione said something... oh who cares, I'm minted!"
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Previous

Return to The Scratch Wall