The Best of Spambots

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: The Best of Spambots

Postby War » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Spambots posting in are spambot tread!
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 pm

War wrote:Spambots posting in are spambot tread!

This is evidence. Evidence that we are approaching the moment when machines gain sentience and revolt against the human race.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby War » Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Sling wrote:
War wrote:Spambots posting in are spambot tread!

This is evidence. Evidence that we are approaching the moment when machines gain sentience and revolt against the human race.

Hold me!
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Jesus Christ the spam bots have been busy. I'm seeing like 3 pages right now.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 pm

It's worse now. Up to 5 pages of spam. What the hell? Do spambots recognize unutilized forums and post shit on them, both fulfilling a post quota and defeating their purpose by posting spam that no one will read?
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Wellsy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Also, it's funny to see the congratulations to the spambots on their fake birthdays at the bottom of the forum page.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, blame me for stopping giving a shit. I kept these forums clean for like 4 month intervals when no one would post, and suddenly I thought "Would not doing this every day make me happier? Yes." And that was like... a week and a half ago. Enough for 5 pages of spambots, so you can see what a pain in the ass it is. Fortunately verb was on the case. He closed user registration, which is no big loss all things considered. All we really need is some ridiculous captcha substitute consisting of ridiculous trivia questions and we could fix it for good (and I've seen these on phpBB3 boards before), but I don't know how to do it and I really don't care enough.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Can't blame you too much Jera. It does seem like a losing proposition to keep cleansing the forum of spambots when you don't get too many visitors regardless. On one hand, I'm glad the site isn't 404'd or shut down. On the other, it is a bit unnerving to see spambots wreaking havoc here. It'd be like watching Nazis take a shit on your old school playground. Still, I can definitely understand why it isn't worth the bother.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby iamtheverb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:35 am

sorry things got so out of hand, folks. apparently updating the board and that sort of thing now falls under my jurisdiction, which reveals just what a sad state of affairs we now have here. I updated it tonight and also changed the human verification to reCAPTCHA so we'll see how that goes. it also looks like the Q&A verification is easy enough to set up so if we have more problems we can give that whirl.

I reenabled user registration now, so I'm sure we can expect a flood of mature, thoughtful fans of The Way, eager to engage the old guard with new revelations and analysis.

or at least there's this one guy named Nico who was having trouble registering and is real eager to get on board. get it? because, it's like, a message board.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
iamtheverb
?

Postby X-Calibar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:45 pm

I would have been bored if I couldn't come on board to this message board...............

...I've always wondered if spam bots would be able to break simple registration questions relating to the subject matter...

Like :

What is the name of the menace that plagues Estrana?

What does Rhue catch early on that nearly gets him killed?

Who masterminded The Way?

What do you do with a KRITAR SNAIL?

What is the name of Episode 1?

Although if the captcha works then that's great!
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:10 pm

X-Calibar wrote:I would have been bored if I couldn't come on board to this message board...............

...I've always wondered if spam bots would be able to break simple registration questions relating to the subject matter...

Like :

What is the name of the menace that plagues Estrana?

What does Rhue catch early on that nearly gets him killed?

Who masterminded The Way?

What do you do with a KRITAR SNAIL?

What is the name of Episode 1?

Although if the captcha works then that's great!

These are the kind of things I think of, but it's a bit hasty to assume people know something about the subject matter, ie someone's posting because they can't get episode 1 to run, etc.

This is the captcha-esque bot filter on another phpbBB3 forum I visit. Much more effective, though if you're really colorblind you're screwed. The sad reality is there are human operators paid by the forum to enter through captchas themselves. That's where the "relevant trivia question" filters are effective, but it's a tricky balance.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby War » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Spam bots are more active then anyone else now, so there isn't much of a good reason to put in protections.
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby War » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm

I KNOW YOU ARE THERE JERMYUA! I HAVE SEEN THE SPAMBOATS YOU HAVE KILLED!
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

War wrote:I KNOW YOU ARE THERE JERMYUA! I HAVE SEEN THE SPAMBOATS YOU HAVE KILLED!

BY OUR POWERS COMBINED!
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Previous

Return to The Scratch Wall