cheating

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

cheating

Postby preventative cheater » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:43 am

Hello all Way players. i have played through all 5 of the The Way games that are out so far legitimately and then again with various different cheating tools......i have found one that works well and was wondering if the game creator would like to know what one it is so as to prevent anyone from using it...i know i'm a kill joy for the cheat fanatics out there but i think it's not worth playing if you have to cheat to win. Thank you for your time and good luck to you all on #6 and beyond.

A Caring Gamer.......PEACE
preventative cheater

Pif

Postby TempestTide » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:52 pm

Pif, if someone wants to cheat, they can go into the editor and do a number of things:

-Change monster HP to 1
-Beef up character stats
-Delete battles
-Hit F9 and make Rhue's stats go up
-Hit F9 and turn on the EnemyDead switch during Plunges.

There are a few ways of stopping cheaters, but they're too time consuming.
Here's to the death of Slade! =D

Quote by Leo
...because Slade wills it.
TempestTide
Plyn

Postby Porter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:56 pm

I wonder if he just figured out you can cheat horribly on RM2k games :lol:
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Excell » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:00 pm

I would hope not.....I figured it out after about 3 seconds. Of course I immediately abused it. 8)
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby preventative cheater » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:11 am

no i wasn't speaking of RM2K/RM2K3 i was speaking of an external cheat/editing tool and it's not that time consuming to prevent the use of any of the editing abilities of either RM2K or RM2K3 nor any other kinds of cheats tedious yes but not really time consuming.....at least not any more so than making a game of this quality.

A Caring Gamer.......Peace Out
preventative cheater

Postby BustermanZero » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:23 pm

I don't approve of cheats, but guides are okay. I mean, not everyone is extremely observant, and in some cases the game doesn't even hint at what you have to do, and you need something to tell you. I think of cheating like a metaphor in life: taking the easy way out has less satsfaction than the long, hard way. I take pride in my level 99 the hard way RPG characters that I have in many other RPGs, and my fairly strong Rhue (not perfect, otherwise I'd beat Strata with ease) is made without cheats, and nothing can dampen that. Besides, who likes 'hackers' in FPS games? The same goes for people who cheat at RPGs. Me, I rig my games with cheater traps.
Don't lower yourself to petty insults that make no sense. That only leads to a weak Communist system which soon crumbles into a Dictatorship.
BustermanZero
Plyn

Postby War » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:58 pm

There is pretty much no way to stop cheating with out cahnging the code of rm2k.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby BustermanZero » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:02 am

Actually, there are various ways to trap cheaters, including clipper traps, level 99 traps, hp 999 traps, etc. Insert enough and the cheater, who is already lazy, will have to spend a good chunk of time finding the code which is hidden in several events.
Don't lower yourself to petty insults that make no sense. That only leads to a weak Communist system which soon crumbles into a Dictatorship.
BustermanZero
Plyn

Postby War » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:51 am

Well Lun has already used up much of the varibles, switchs, and common event that making these wound take up to much room.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:30 am

Well he could always use a utility that makes it impossible to access the game files through Rm2k/3 so the cheater can't even get into the system. But you would want to copy the game folder first because it also makes it impossible to change the game further.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby BustermanZero » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:46 pm

War wrote:Well Lun has already used up much of the varibles, switchs, and common event that making these wound take up to much room.

Oh please. All it takes is a few nicely placed if fork statements. And for added security, edit the exe. It's not hard. The edited exe, once rendered, compiled, whatever you want to call the said process, will be the only one that works for the game, besides shortcuts of course.
BustermanZero
Plyn

Postby Escushion » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:41 pm

BustermanZero wrote:
War wrote:Well Lun has already used up much of the varibles, switchs, and common event that making these wound take up to much room.

Oh please. All it takes is a few nicely placed if fork statements. And for added security, edit the exe. It's not hard. The edited exe, once rendered, compiled, whatever you want to call the said process, will be the only one that works for the game, besides shortcuts of course.

That edited exe can be easily undone once someone knows that it's been edited.

I don't think Lun needs to bother though. If you're just going to cheat, what's the point in playing?
Escushion
Plyn

Postby HumanBean17 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:43 pm

Well, you still wanna find out what happens, don't you? And it wouldn't be as fun if you just read through the programming or something.
HumanBean17
S1 Hilyn

Postby HumanBean17 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:50 pm

BustermanZero wrote:Actually, there are various ways to trap cheaters, including clipper traps, level 99 traps, hp 999 traps, etc. Insert enough and the cheater, who is already lazy, will have to spend a good chunk of time finding the code which is hidden in several events.

Yeah, but if someone figures that out, they'll just resort to 998 HP and things like that. And that's a lot of extra tedious work for the programmer. If a cheater wants to cheat, let him. If it makes the game any less fun for them, then they'll learn there lesson. If it becomes even more fun, well... then I guess they'll keep on cheating.

Do you have any games out right now BMZ? I'd love to check 'em out.
HumanBean17
S1 Hilyn

Postby BustermanZero » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:40 pm

HumanBean17 wrote:
BustermanZero wrote:Actually, there are various ways to trap cheaters, including clipper traps, level 99 traps, hp 999 traps, etc. Insert enough and the cheater, who is already lazy, will have to spend a good chunk of time finding the code which is hidden in several events.

Yeah, but if someone figures that out, they'll just resort to 998 HP and things like that. And that's a lot of extra tedious work for the programmer. If a cheater wants to cheat, let him. If it makes the game any less fun for them, then they'll learn there lesson. If it becomes even more fun, well... then I guess they'll keep on cheating.

Do you have any games out right now BMZ? I'd love to check 'em out.

Not very many people are smart enough to edit exe files.

Who said it was only 999 blocked? I did predict stuff for stuff like that. The limit starts low, and gets higher. Overall my cheater traps took at the most half an hour to code. Wasn't that bad.

I'm working on an original game for once...most of the ones I've ever released were crappy fan games. I was at one point the extremely stereotyped newbie.

My Legion Saga Zenith demo (it's an older one) is available at the Legion Saga site, I think. It was a crappier demo, but there were a few traps. Also, the other game I made that is not crappy enough to so that people won't host it was 'Hero from the Shadows.' There was nothing really wrong with it, justa few minor bugs, and nothing unique, aside from the final fantasy 6 character sets which were almost all my own work, plus the fact that it was consistent FF6 character sets. I heard rumors its at Skytower games.
BustermanZero
Plyn

Next

Return to The Scratch Wall