Editing RPG Maker Games

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Editing RPG Maker Games

Postby MagicDoors » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a way to edit games made in RPG Maker that have already been published. I noticed that a lot of people have been able to open up The Way and see its code, which is why I asked this here.
Of course if I'm mistaken, then sorry for the trouble.
MagicDoors
Wanderer

Re: Editing RPG Maker Games

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm

It's pretty simple. "Publishing" an RM2K/2K3 game basically means nothing other than putting it in an installer, so you can still open it up like any other game. Certain (asshole) game makers "break" their games in such a way that they can't be opened, but The Way is not one of those games. All you really need to do is download RM2K or RM2K3. The Way was made in 2K, but you can edit it just fine in 2K3, though trying to add any 2K3 features to a 2K game will try and convert it probably blow everything up. I personally prefer 2K3 even for looking around 2K games since it has a search function. From there, all you need to do is open a new project and set the project directory to the folder that contains all the folders for whatever game you want to edit is. Not the actual game folders, but the folder those folders are in. It should appear on the Project List and you should be good to go.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Re: Editing RPG Maker Games

Postby MagicDoors » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Great, thanks a lot.
MagicDoors
Wanderer

Return to The Scratch Wall