Porting the original Crestfallen games

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Porting the original Crestfallen games

Postby agoaj » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi, I've been a fan of Lun's work starting with Crestfallen Act 1 and 2, but they're getting harder and harder to play on modern computers. So I've been working on porting them from RPG Maker 95 to RPG Maker MZ and I'm almost done. I've been able to write a program to convert the maps and events, and made a plugin to support 95's unique features.

Act 1 is playable from start to finish and works 95% identically to the original. A few cutscenes are broken because the RPG95's movement timing is hard to reproduce(I've got a new level of appreciation for the quality of these cutscenes). Act 2 is playable but has more issues. I want to get get the cutscenes errors fixed before I move on to testing all of 2 because it's a much bigger game.

I've been working on this in my spare time and that last 5% is always the hardest. I wanted to share what I've got so far incase I never get back to finishing it.

You can play a test version of Act 1 in your browser here:
http://agoaj.com/apps/Crestfallen_Inception_Test/

These games have always been special to me and I'm excited to share Act 2's port when it's ready.
agoaj
Wanderer

Re: Porting the original Crestfallen games

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:37 pm

Wow, this is great! I keep an old Windows XP laptop around specifically for ancient games like RM95 stuff, and even then it's a struggle sometimes. Act 2 is a real gem, and at one point I was trying to remake it in RM2k3, though I never got farther than the caves in the intro, so this will be neat to see.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Porter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 am

Excellent idea. Love the original games.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Porter » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 pm

I see all downloads have been removed and I can't even download Crestfallen anymore, anyone have a copy still of 1 and 2?
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 pm

If you're talking about the originals I only seem to have a copy of Act 2 I can find.

https://mega.nz/file/Fptn2Q7B#QDtofOau2LCbC8SE8wYsagbzgsz_bmlhxZBUDkgN4aI

Can either be launched with Game.exe, or opening it with rpg95.exe. Running in Windows XP compatibility mode seems to work somewhat fine, but I didn't test very much.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby LunC » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:31 am

Very cool port!

Porter, you can download a zip with Act I and Act II here. (I think)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
LunC
Pharaphalyn

Postby Porter » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Thank you Lun!
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Return to The Scratch Wall