The Way FAQ

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Way FAQ

Postby Jabbo » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:46 pm

I know that this is the first time I've posted here, but I dislike forums.

Anyhow, I have written an FAQ/Walkthrough for the Way. I've uploaded it, hopefully temporarily, to geocities at http://www.geocities.com/jabbo_kaldra/way_faq.txt

I know that there is already something like this in progress, and it is my sincere hope that my guide does not conflict with that one. After all, there can be more than one guide for a game.

Also, everything in my guide was found through my own research (using RPG Maker) and is my writing. I hope I haven't missed anything. Writing this took a large amount of my time (as you could probably guess), and I had a lot of fun doing it, so I hope that at least a few people will find it helpful.

If you're interested, here's a short list of what my guide has:

A walkthrough detailing the location of (I hope) every Notch Item, Aura, and Blade Art in the game, as well as CTP Spouts and AR chests. It also contains battle strategies, character descriptions, and optimal stats.
A thorough Plunge section detailing how every bit of the Plunge works as well as a full listing of enemy stats.
Descriptions of everything you need to know about Notch Items, Auras, and Blade Arts.
Other miscellany like character info.

And here's a short list of what it doesn't have (yet):

A bestiary.
A more concise list of Notch Item, Aura, and Blade Art locations than the walkthrough.
Information about the RPG Maker default battle system, including what the stats do as well as a listing of all the battle conditions and exactly how they affect your characters.
A detailed listing of each character's strengths and weaknesses in relation to every attribute and condition in the game.

So that's my FAQ. I honestly don't think anyone is going to read the walkthrough unless they're actually going to use it, but I hope a few people will read over the supplemental sections. I hope that you like it.
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:22 pm

Descriptions of battle conditions and stuff could be useful...

And on the subject of battle and notch items, let's hope Lun was serious about real challenges for people with high stats. I bet beta testers could work out what's too easy and what's too hard... >_> I just wish testing would get started faster, so Lun doesn't have to do everything.

On-topic, I haven't read the FAQ yet, but it sounds like you're going to make it pretty detailed and helpful.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Culix » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:30 pm

Impossible wrote:Descriptions of battle conditions and stuff could be useful...

Aye. He goes into a lot of detail about pretty much everything that he covers. He's done a very good job so far. The only thing I noticed missing when I glanced over it is a minor detail involving the Plunge in the Pits; if Rhue is defeated, his sword will shoot an energy blast at the Shadow Man, so losing down there doesn't mean the game ends.
Culix
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:23 am

The only Plunge in which losing ends the game is the second one against Strata, isn't it?
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Kyle » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:37 am

I've read your walkthrough up to episode 3. It's incredibly good and should replace the notch guide entirely. I have two remarks however,

1) Just going into the hut and talking to Belson doesn't give you the option to buy him a drink I think. Isn't there someone you need to talk to first that leads to Rhue setting up the plan to drive Belson drunk? I could be wrong about this, it's been a while.

2) You should really include the details if you side with the thugs on the Marna Stretch. Even though it isn't the best option, people might want to know how the other option works out as well (first time around I sided with the thugs).

I haven't yet looked at your other sections, but I'll probably read through the entire document this week. If I find anything else I'll report it here.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I hope you'll cover Episode 6 when it's released as well.
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby Berserker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:45 am

The only Plunge in which losing ends the game is the second one against Strata, isn't it?

There are a lot of minor plunges where you can't lose, but I guess nobody really lost there since they're so easy.
"I shouldn't have to live in a world where all good points are horrible ones" (Black mage, 8bit theater)
Berserker
S2 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Are you sure? I thought all the compulsory battles can't be lost... Although there are the two tournament battles, which I think can be skipped now anyway - and so can Strata. >_> But Strata's Plunge is more like something optional that might not happen, Rhue wins those two Plunges no matter what.
Last edited by Impossible on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Jabbo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:58 pm

Kyle, you're right about Belson, you have to talk to the guy in the upper right corner first. I've updated the walkthrough. As far as the Plunges go, I decided to make a notation of which result in game over and when they do in the enemy section. I don't know which ones are skippable, but I don't really need to include that...

I should include the option of siding with the settlers (I sided with them the first time too, cause the Guided annoyed me), but I really don't feel like putting that in right now.

As far as other changes, I noticed that on the Plunge enemies, my blade art listings were screwed up. I had stuff like "15, 22, 13," for blade arts. I'm positive I already went through and changed those into actual blade art names, but apparently something happened to that save of the FAQ. I fixed it now though. Hopefully it's correct now.

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:09 pm

This reminds me, I have to get around to finishing the bestiary I'm writing. I think I'm about half way through EP5.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby lonewulf123 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:43 pm

this really helps out... ALOT Thanks i had to figure out most of this stuff my self on the first play through of the series..
lonewulf123
Plyn

Postby Trihan » Thu May 05, 2005 9:52 am

Your solution for the switch puzzle is missing a step. After turning switch 3 on, you have to turn off #1 in order to continue down.
Trihan
Plyn

Postby Shindy » Thu May 05, 2005 10:36 am

Incredibly high detailed. The creator obviously put huge time into it, amazing guide.
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Aegis » Thu May 05, 2005 3:58 pm

Impressive.

Best guide for The Way i've seen yet.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Excell » Thu May 05, 2005 4:01 pm

Sweet, this is really useful. Alright, that is going to be the main guide, I will put the link to it up on the Notch Item page. Use whatever info I gather to help with it.
Porter licks dicks.
Excell
S3 Corlyn

Postby Flibbo » Thu May 05, 2005 4:31 pm

WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I WAS REPLAYING?????

nah its really very good
are you going to update it for episode 6 when it comes out? i hope so because you do it with a cirtain professionallisim i really like

well done
Tele wrote:Define a cool genital wart.
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Next

Return to Estrana