Is Rhue psychotic?

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Is Rhue psychotic?

Postby Lancifer » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:47 pm

Hey, I'm Lancifer, this'll be my first post!

After playing The Way 1-5, I have become a little obsessed. Not only is this the best game I've ever played (Other than Morrowind), but it's made with a program I own and can use.

But anyways, thats a bit off the topic. I thought I noticed that further on in the game, Rhue has started to lose his mind. In episode 1, when he kills those men after the rabbit race, he makes a big deal out of it (wouldn't you?), but later on, the killing just becomes second nature to him. I won't go to into it, but in episode 5, he spends alot of time with Cesta (Cetsa? not too sure how to spell it.) But he's willing to kill her on thespot when he finds out she doesn't know about Serena. He walks right by her when she's dying and helps Slade! Now Slade's a guy that Rhue never liked that much. Back to the Cesta thing. he know's that she is a mass murderer, and the leader of the worst gang around, but he jumps into the pit where she is gonna be killed, willing to kill a bunch of just council members (I use the word "Just" loosely, they were kinda crooked, but Rhue didn't really know that.). He starts to threaten to kill people, even people he can't beat. (Strata), and when Lyrra lunges at him, he doesn't try and block it, or dodge it, or explain to her the truth, he just lets her run on his sword, justifying it as "Self defence". After she dies, pretty much in his arms, he closes his eyes, says to himself "Burn me." and walks away, doesn't even look at Strata. I think when he say's "Burn me..." is when he realizes deep down what he's done, but he just forgets about it. It seems Lexus is the last person Rhue kills that he really cares.
Then again, Lexus was the only person besides Serena that he cared about...

Anyways, thats my theory...

P.S. Lexus, Red Zero, and Cesta all suck in battle.
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:58 pm

Well i think he just got used to the fact the people will die by the sword if they get in his way, his determination drove him to kill. He had to know if Cesta was Serina or not, so he killed people for that. Other than that he just just what he felt he had to, i mean if he didnt kill Lyrra, she would have attacked again, and again, and again until one of them were dead, but the factt that he had to kill somebody he knew was a lot forhim to handle
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:00 pm

well Rhue went to help slade instead cause Cetsa used him. He doesn't like being... overrun?
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:02 pm

well just think about it, you searched for this chick for all your life, you find your first real clue to her, then she says shes her, then you find out it was all lies, i would ahve like riped out her inards
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Shindy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 pm

well he searched this chick for all his life, pretty pointless.
also think about it on Cetsa's side. She likes Rhue XD shes also a strong fighter and leader of Blue Scarves, i'd say Rhue should go for her.
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Locke » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:39 am

when he kills those men after the rabbit race, he makes a big deal out of it

He doesnt have to kill them, the second time I played it, I just ran away.
Locke
Locke
Plyn

Oh man.

Postby Cocoa » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:26 pm

Hey guy I know your new here so I’ll try not to be too mean. You’re killing me guy. I’ll give you the same advice I give every other new guy; read MY past posts. Everything you could want to know about “The Way” is in my past posts. I only have a couple of them so It shouldn’t take more than a half hour. Start with the old ones and work your way forward. Just this once I’ll restate a prior conclusion for your benefit.

You’re right. Rhue is becoming more violent. His aggressiveness is representative of his growing awareness of his own sexual deviances and sexually predatory nature. This is being caused by his drive to find “Serena” who is all the beliefs and values of sexual normalcy rolled into a human package. As you may have noticed in his quest to achieve the peak of sexual normalcy, (pure childhood sweat-heart love) he has in fact fallen into a dark valley of deviance.

The “Phantom Slasher” is a manifestation of his Id. As the game progresses he incorporates more and more of his primal, bestial desires into his everyday self. On a related note this is how we know the PS must be Rhue.

I could go on all day about the importance of these two revelations, but I already have in the past. Once again I will leave you with an admonition to read my old posts.

Cocoa O. Muerto,
It is the only way.
Cocoa
Plyn

Postby Belthazar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:47 pm

cocoa i know i haven't been here that long but why the hell do you incorporate everything Rhue does in some way with sex?
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Re: Oh man.

Postby Violent_Paradan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Cocoa wrote:You’re right. Rhue is becoming more violent. His aggressiveness is representative of his growing awareness of his own sexual deviances and sexually predatory nature. This is being caused by his drive to find “Serena” who is all the beliefs and values of sexual normalcy rolled into a human package. As you may have noticed in his quest to achieve the peak of sexual normalcy, (pure childhood sweat-heart love) he has in fact fallen into a dark valley of deviance.

What does that mean for the sword auras, or should I even go there?
Violent_Paradan
Plyn

Postby Grand Admiral Thrawn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:20 am

No, you shouldn't. But it's already too late. (Or will be as soon as Cocoa reads that....)

Don't question Cocoa. Just know that you can get a good laugh out of his posts.
Current games in progress:
Legend of Dragoon
FF8
FF9
Chrono Cross
Grand Admiral Thrawn
S2 Hilyn

The answer to your question.

Postby Cocoa » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 am

Once again that is a question that I have answered in the past; however because of my commitment to education I will once again repeat myself.

Sword Auras are, for lack of a better term, SEXP. Every time Rhue has an encounter with someone he learns a little more about his “sword”. Flibbo can fill you in on the obvious phallic symbolism here. In order to avoid a long post I’ll just sum it up with the following: “Sword Auras” are representative of aggressive tendencies that Rhue learns and perfects through aggressive contact with others. They are just as much psycho-sexual as they are physio-sexual.

I hope that helped, if it didn’t it’s because you’re not paying close enough attention. I’d like to end with a plea to all the new folks on the board to read my old posts as they will doubtlessly prove incredibly enlightening.

Cocoa O. Muerto,
It is the only way.
Cocoa
Plyn

Postby Telephalsion » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 am

So piercer is the first one, obviously the type of sword aura everyone can use, and quite a few people know the slasher type sword aura as well.

Hmm...
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:21 pm

*doesn't read any of the previous posts*

Naw, he just likes to kill stuff
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:46 am

I'm almost afraid to ask, Cocoa, but how do you explain the Transcendent "sword" auras?

You know, on second thought, don't answer that . . . :shock:
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:13 am

In essence.. Rhue is turning to stone.
We've all noticed that as we progress along the storyline Rhue cares less and less about the people he kills. He also is becoming less hesitant to kill... he just does it. Like in episode 1 he spends the race debating whether to take the rabbit because he knows he'll have to fight his way out... now he just does things to achieve his goal. he doesnt care.
He's becoming like Strata in a way, because Strata didn't care who he hurt... although Strata's goals are/were selfish and he pretended to enjoy hurting. Rhue's had to many shocks, he is doing such horrible things along the way that he doesnt think about them, he doesnt care, he forces himself to be stone, a completely single minded stone: finding Serena is his reason for existance and nothing else matters.....
..... well If I was Rhue, I'd do that as well... it's either that or breakdown completely.....
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Next

Return to Estrana