Rhue's Sword

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Rhue's Sword

Postby Lancifer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:01 pm

We probably all know by now that Rhue has either a shadow sword or Illuminati. In other posts, I've metioned why I think he has a Illuminati, but it seems that alot of people are still using "Rhue has a shadow sword" as evidence for theories... So, this post is all about what one you think he has and WHY.

I guess I'll start this off:

I think that Rhue has an Illuminati because:
-The scene where he knocks the Night Reaper into the pits. "Did something just posess me?" An Illuminati would be inclined to possess Rhue to do such a thing, wouldn't it?
-The scene where you plunge with the shadow man in the pits. "Woah, my sword is going crazy!" The shadow man is obviously evil.
-The scene where Rhue tries to kill the harbinger to save Cetsa. Illuminati cannot kill the just. Harbingers stand for justice.
-The scene where Rhue kills Lyrra and knocks away her sword. This morning, I read that she has the Ghost Horror. An Illuminati might make Rhue do that.

I think that if we can all sort out what kinda sword he actually has, it would make everything fit together nicer. So far, I havn't thought of any evidence of the sword being a shadow sword that does not also support the theory of it being an Illuminati. What do you think?
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:07 pm

That last one is interesting, actually. Rhue DID knock the sword away! I can't imagine why an Illumaniti, a sword of justice, would kill an innocent person. But what if that was just an accident, and the sword meant to hit the Shadow Sword?
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Gizmo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Or perhaps the 'innocent' Lyrra isn't innocent at all.
Gizmo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Lancifer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:24 pm

Well, I think that it was self defence, don't you? SHE attacked HIM remember?

Maybe that qualifies as an "Illuminati Exception".
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby Lancifer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:26 pm

He actually kills alot of people who are innocent, But in the case of the Harbinger, he's not innocent, he's a man of order and justice, things the illuminati stands for.

Maybe the Illuminati don't care about innocence?
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby Violent_Paradan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:19 pm

Innocent is a relative term, it probably judges innocence based on the will of The Purpose. All wanderers who have settled are guilty under those criteria; the harbinger wouldn’t count because he wasn’t settling in Estrana, he was just there to execute criminals (remember that they had to wait for his arrival).
Violent_Paradan
Plyn

Postby fwacho » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:57 pm

this is an intersting train of thought... what is innocence? comparedto what? hmmm...
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 am

.......... Maybe I missed something during the episodes or just havn't checked out everything to do with 'The Way' that isn't actually in the game, but......... wtf is an/the Illuminati?

... and how do we know the names of the Shadow Swords or that Lyrra had a shadow sword?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Jabbo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:28 am

Illuminati were allegedly created by the Purpose, which could very probably be some sort of extremely powerful being who has assumed the role of a god, while really isn't one. Gaius is probably serving that power, whatever it may be, because he obviously isn't loyal to either faction of the Guided. So may the Illuminati are only "good" in their service to the Purpose, which has its own moral code to follow.

I don't really think Rhue is carrying an Illuminati or a Shadow Sword. I used to think it was one of the two, but it displays too many traits on both sides of the line to be either one. And Rhue was given the sword by the two men (and this is all Rhue's memory so it's probably all just symbolic)... maybe it's some kind of cross-forge between an Illiminati and a Shadow Sword, with each of the men who gave him his sword representing one of the sides.

If so, Rhue's actions probably dictate which type of sword it will become in the end. And I know I'm thinking too far ahead, but if that's the case, then the best ending will probably spring from the events that leave Rhue's sword exactly as it is, not allying himself with either faction.
The Way FAQ (Now updated, more or less, for Episode 6)
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:10 am

Well that makes sense.... I mean I've spent time trying to figure out to what end Rhues desicions throughout 'The Way' would be used... I mean the ones like how he has a choice between saying something like:
(Scenario: A guy is trying to get across a river and asks Rhue for help.)
- "It'd be my honor to help you" Very good
- "ok" good
- *sigh* "well I have to get across too" neutral
- "no I won't" bad
- *tell guy he'll make the jump across even though Rhue knows he cant* absolutely evil
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:13 am

I can't imagine why an Illumaniti, a sword of justice, would kill an innocent person. But what if that was just an accident, and the sword meant to hit the Shadow Sword?

Well, if she was innocent woudn't she be unaffected like gaius?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Lancifer » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:34 pm

But you guys arn't listening!! She attacked him!

It doesn't matter what the sword beleives, it's not going to not let Rhue defend himself.
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:02 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:
I can't imagine why an Illumaniti, a sword of justice, would kill an innocent person. But what if that was just an accident, and the sword meant to hit the Shadow Sword?

Well, if she was innocent woudn't she be unaffected like gaius?

Gaius, or the Harbringer, or whatever, wasn't innocent, but he wasn't evil either. Lyrra hasn't ever killed anyone, so she doesn't exactly swing either way.

But if Gaius IS the Harbringer, he MUST know what Rhue's sword is. So is he lying about it being a Shadow Sword? Hm, now THAT'S one to take to fwacho...

But you guys arn't listening!! She attacked him!

But Rhue didn't attack her, he attacked the Shadow Sword - that's what his sword was retaliating to.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Forerunner » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:30 pm

:shock: So Gaius is the Harbringer now...... did I miss something?
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:55 pm

But if Gaius IS the Harbringer, he MUST know what Rhue's sword is. So is he lying about it being a Shadow Sword?

Could you explain to me why Rhue's sword can't be a shadow sword if Gaius is the harbringer?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Next

Return to Estrana