Shadows..

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Shadows..

Postby Querente » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:08 pm

My first post about The Way :)

Let me first say that I think this is one of the best stories I find in a game, especially considering it is free-ware. It almost reminds me of Xenogears in depth and twists. Thanks Lun!

Currently I am at episode 4 in Estrana, somewhere between missions. Please remember this, before you all start bashing my brains in for not knowing much at all :)

Shadows, there are a lot of Shadow people in this game. The Phantom Slasher, shadow people in Rhue's flashbacks, shadow people in the pits, a murdering shadow in Estrana (not PS). Then there is a book titled "Shadows of Jenwah".

Could it be that all those shadow peoples are people changed into shadows because of the catastroph in Jenwah? Most of them acting like vengeful spirits, by killing people (Phantom Slasher, the shadow in Estrana who killed the bandits and then the girl, which is not the PS). There is a shadow in the pits that challened Rhue to an "honorable" duel (again, not the PS, neither the shadow killer in Estrana..a third one). Then there are shadow people in Rhue's past. The shadow people in Rhue's past gave him a sword and most likely, somehow are involved with the spirit/body transfer (prolly to keep him alive), unless the sword itself holds the spirit/soul/aura of either Rhue or Jeruh (sp?). Certainly there are two spirits, as there are points in the game he is actually talking/disagreeing with his own thoughts.

So it looks like Rhue's soul is put in the body of Jeruh, Lytta's relative. Since her father was still with her, it should be her brother (later confirmed I believe when Lytta was captured by Dancing Violet). Another point that confirms the body-switching, is that Rhue said he was travelling for a few years on the Way finding Serena..and we know he left right away, not even bothering the talk to his parents. If so, that after 3 years, he should look younger (wasnt he around 6-7 when the hounds attack?), yet he is far into his teens, atleast.

If this is true (about the ages), that means that Serena should be quite young looking still (unless she has her own body switching) :) ..but I am pretty unsure about the ages to be truthfull, 320x200 graphics doesnt give much details about that. Perhaps Lun can tell us how young they were when the hounds attack.

At first, I thought the masked girl (Scatha) was Serana...however, remembering her lines in the Pits, this is incorrect. She recognizes Jeruh, not Rhue. And her Jeruh is different in some way, using a different name as well (Rhue, instead of Jerhu). This does mean however, that she most likely part of the Landorin Stretch, like Rhue AND Jerhue...perhaps one of the children that was attacked, and thats why her face is disfigured.

Back to the Shadows, it seems the Shadow people have their own agenda, that is different from the Purpose and anti-purpose, which seems to involve Rhue. They also gave him a sword, which acts a bit wierd sometimes. (I read a bit about the illuminati and Shadow Swords on the forums as well). I think that the Shadow People of Jenwah might have given him a Jenwah-blade. Which is unknown in all purposes or alignments, but it might involve destroying all other swords as it seems to have the same powers as the other swords. As Jenwah was indeed the most advanced city ever on the way, their knowledge and power might be unequaled...including knowledge about the Way itself and the Purpose..depending what they found out, they might wanna destroy the Way (and the Purpose in the process), perhaps to "free" themselves

Ah, I wrote too much..but I just wanna share some thoughts..and well, see this length as my enthousiasm to quickly further in eps 4 and then eps 5 :)

Cheers
Querente
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:31 pm

First off, Scatha's character becomes alot more indepth in EP5, so that will help you straighten alot of that out. Also, you seem quite sure that the shadow in Estrana isn't the PS, why do you think so? And how do you know Rhue's only been searching for three years?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:36 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Also, you seem quite sure that the shadow in Estrana isn't the PS, why do you think so?

I had just written the same question and was about to hit the submit button. Using the editor you can see that the event even has the name "PHANTOM SLASHER".
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby DSOK » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:55 pm

I will again caution against reading too much into things that appear only in the source code. One must be careful....
Demon Sultan of Khaipur
DSOK
S4 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:44 am

The reason I think that the Phantom Slasher was not in Estrana but another "Shadow being", is the graphics of both character and the portrait.

The Phantom Slasher from episode 1 and such, has a kind of a ponytail. The shadow being in Estrana had not (this is the character graphics, not portrait). Also the color of the background of the portraits is different ,I think.

Ofcourse, the difference of the shadow being in the Pits was more obvious to see :) ..with those " cat-ear" hair

Also, the PS graphics reminds me a bit of Scatha...who knows what kind of jobs she has taken for her own personal Purpose (aka, getting pretty again)

Edit Addition: Also, when they came first to Estrana they were a bit surprised about the PS becoming so infamous , so quickly. This also might point out that there are more then one "phantom". Remember that Rhue and party kept travelling most of the time as well. The fear of the man thrown out of Estrana indicates that the PS isnt just rumours there, but should have been busy for a little while atleast, despite nothing happened in Estrana before that.
Last edited by Querente on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Querente
Wanderer

Postby loona » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:46 am

tl;dr

Sorry, had to do it. :)
loona
S1 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:05 am

About the age thing. I am most likely completely wrong. According to the manual (which I just read again), the Landorin massacre happened *many* years ago. So I guess that means more then 2 or 3 years and more like 10 years.
Querente
Wanderer

Postby Forerunner » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:51 am

Yeah this all sounds good, we've pretty much heard most of it before and once again I repeat that it is pointless endevouring into deep theories about the way because there is just too many possibilities and really, if Lun wanted us to figure it out he would have given us more clues. I'm not saying don't make theories, I'm just implying that they're all probably bullshit and therefore pointless in the end.

oh and the real point of this post is to point out that your so-called 'Lytta' is actually 'Lyrra'.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:26 am

Querente wrote:The Phantom Slasher from episode 1 and such, has a kind of a ponytail. The shadow being in Estrana had not (this is the character graphics, not portrait).

I think what you are describing is actually his sword and it just looks like it could be part of his hair because everything is the same color. Just compare it to Rhue's graphic to see this. So if the Phantom Slasher has his sword drawn and not on his back, you obviously would not see this "ponytail".

Edit: I just checked and the background color for the face sets has not changed.
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 am

No, he just confused the PS with Scatha. The PS is never in Lide, the shadow there is actually Scatha, the figure without the ponytail (as seen in Estrana) is what the PS looks like.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby fwacho » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:59 pm

congrats to the newbie stating something new even though he's only been through four episodes. *takes off hat and smiles*
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:41 am

Yeah, pretty nice for a new guy. I think reading everything is bound to influence your way of thinking, so only by being new can one come up with new theories... Or something like that.

And it did remind me of Xenogears/Xenosaga at first too. You know, a story full of mysteries with no real goal in the story. I like that (a.k.a the "Stay clear from saving the world plotline").
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks for not bashing the newbie.

And I was indeed confused. The PS in Estrana is the same as in the beginning, who is "spooking" around Rhue. (After forcing my friend to play the way ...I saw the PS-portrait in the beginning again..same as in Estrana)

I still think there a lot of shadows around though :)
Querente
Wanderer

Postby KaiBlue11 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Well playing Episode 5 would answer alot of your questions.
KaiBlue11
Plyn

Postby Imoto » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:19 pm

More interesting then some things, the shadow thing in the pits has a very similar plunge stance to good old Traziun.

It was probably a shadow he made to slow down or stop Scatha when he took the sword she was after, since he was pre-occupied with getting out of the active volcano, and Rhue's sword reacted to it becauseof it's origin of the shadow blade.

This also explains the Phantom Slasher, since Rhue isn't really aware he has a shadow sword, in'ts that stable a person, AND he doesn't know fully how to control his sword, he's probably projecting a murderous shadow subcontiously with the sword, fueled by his own negative emotions. And since the SS are very protective of their hosts, it explains the times in which the shadow helps him.
Imoto
S1 Hilyn

Next

Return to Estrana