What ever happened to that Plunge game?

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

What ever happened to that Plunge game?

Postby Lumino » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:50 pm

Someone suggested one awhile back. Well I was just thinking, is anyone around here still interested in that idea? I got no skills so all i can really do is light the spark of interest and submit ideas, but still.

PS: Yes Impossible I AM that Lumino, so stop ****ing asking!
Lumino
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:15 pm

You told me on AIM... I haven't asked since then. >_>

Yeah, someone was working on that game... Don't remember who.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:11 pm

I suppose another question to add to it would be: Would it be flash generated or something else.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Lumino » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:28 pm

You could make it on http://www.byond.com That way it would be net based. That site...prolly has instructions for making games with it's system
Lumino
Plyn

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 am

A Plunge game might be fun, but a lot of the fun of the Plunge was levelling up your Plunge abilities and getting new Plunge attacks by going through the game and exploring different areas, levelling up different notch items . . . In this way the Plunge minigame really is more of a facet of the entire game than something you can extract and enjoy by itself.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Phile » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:40 am

I guess I can use this thread to ask you guys a Plunge-related question. So: What Blade Art would you invent if you could (program it)?
I do not intend Lun to create more Blade Arts; this shall be a 'just for fun' discussion :) For example, a "Berserk" Blade Art could increase your Critical Strength/Plunge and therefore decrease your Damage Treshhold.
Another Blade Art could lock up one of the 3 strike techniques (Cross Sweep, Lunge Cut and Drop Slash) of your enemy, so it gets easier to choose the right strike.
There could also be Blade Arts like "riposte", "feint" etc.
Phile
Plyn

Postby Shindy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:25 pm

the Plunge Online game was all discussed here: http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1218

since there were LOTS of flaming in the topic (which was locked eventually) and to make this post useful...

AEGIS
1/23/2004

I made some pretty decent progress this week on Episode 6. I haven't had as much time as I normally do as of late, but I'm keeping up a pretty good pace.

I noticed that some people are talking about an online plunge and maybe a MMORPG for The Way. I've always wanted to do some network programming so I actually did code the framework for an online plunge game back in December. Iamtheverb helped me test it out and it played pretty smooth. It's in a pretty raw form right now though. There are no Blade Arts or Link Attacks and I haven't set up a PHP page to keep track of hosted games, stats, etc. Network programming is probably the most difficult type of programming I've ever done so it's been a good learning experience thus far. Hopefully I'll get more done in the future as I further develop my programming skills.

Jaa, mata

Lun

AMGARD
Problem with an Online Plunge system is that the Plunge was complimented by generic combat (to include notch items)

I'd say if you wanted to make the Plunge online, you would have to include nearly every aspect of the Way's gameplay (Not complaining, however. That would rule)

And of course, make the Way very very large but linear.

AMGARD
Well, thats what I was thinking about. I am really not much of a plunge fan, but The Way Online would just own. I would play in the enforced RP servers for hundreads of hours and mabye get my charicter into one of the games

P.S. Auras are fun.

GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN
They wouldn't have to include every aspect of the Way. (I agree though. That would be like God visited Earth and gave me access to heaven while I was still alive)
People would start off with crappy stats and the p;lunges would give more CTP and extra notches than usual. Dwonside: Boring after a while

AMGARD
If you made the Way dynamic and ever changing (constantly adding new maps...and deleting olds ones), it would keep the game very interesting. Of course, that would be unbeleivably hard.

Plays who lag behind get teleported further along the Way...

>_> And of course, you may travel on the lower way (if you can survive it)

No, I think I'd have a lot of fun with it

IMPOSSIBLE
Doing that would be insane... I don't think you can constantly have maps being made and constantly delete maps, you'd need a huge team of developers to put in that much work. Especially if it were less linear (more areas and forking paths). It's a nice dream, though... Although we can see that the Way's movement isn't all THAT fast anyway, it would still be difficult to make and difficult to implement - Lun alone can't create a MMORPG..

this is most useful post ever posted by Impossible. :D

AEGIS
to the maps deleting/creating thing, I personally don't believe the mists exist, but we'll just have to watch and wait. Other than that, sections of the way could be created procedurally ( as in not by mappers but by math going on in the program - don't give me that look, it's quite possible, very likely already demonstrated).

I think, really, that it would be retarded to release The Way Online before the series is finished. However, due to the longness of making games (even pros take 1 1/2 to 4 years with this genra), if this is going to happen at all we're gonna have to start thinking, mabye even working on it now. And yes, Lun cannot do it himself. That is why we have to help. In fact, I'm not even sure he was serious about a The Way Online, but if we are, mabye it could happen. What I ment by that is that Lun would probably like it to happen, but dosn't believe it could happen. So, it's really up to us wether it could happen or not. Unil Lun expresses his opinion on this whole thing, read programming and graphics tutorials, and wait. Seriously guys, wether or not there ever is a Way Online depends entirely on how many of us help and how much we help with it. There my writing teacher, if that is'nt a call to action then I don't know what is!

After that I started a flame war against Impossible. U really dont wanna go into page 5...

and why would we be against you making a plunge game?

So in conclusion, Lun is going to make it hopefully (he can do it or not), but it won't be until The Way series is complete. By that time the gaming would be so advanced, not much users would be left in this board. Luns gotta get that RMXP (Graphics and Battles) going.
Shindy
Dark Lyn

Postby Telephalsion » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:30 pm

If you implement the rolling mists you can have sections fo the way "active" and then move the mists whenever you feel like an area is being overused, and have the area that appears on teh other side of the mist change as you progress, I dunno...
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby iamtheverb » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:19 pm

for the record, lun and I played one game, and I won it. except... I didn't realize which character I was until after the game was over. I am awesome.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
iamtheverb
?

Postby Escreon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:21 am

...did Spaceboy die while I was away from the forums? He was working on the plunge game, and he'd made his early alpha (which couldn't be downloaded because of a crappy server, heh.)
Original Ending:

Unseen: Lyn Copyright Lawyers destroy whole of way.
Escreon
S1 Hilyn

Location: *looks around* erm... a... place... I think it has a computer in it...

Postby AznChipmunk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:54 pm

Why don't we all sort of work on one.
RM2K isn't very complex. Sort of.
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:12 pm

RM2K can't do network play. And if you've ever looked at the code for the plunge, making order out of it would be nigh-impossible without profound effor of some sort.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby SpaceBoy2000 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:02 am

Escreon wrote:...did Spaceboy die while I was away from the forums? He was working on the plunge game, and he'd made his early alpha (which couldn't be downloaded because of a crappy server, heh.)
Ah, my current state of existance is hard to define. I'm being basically swarmed with homework and assignments that i haven't really paid much attention online.

Yes, I am currently making a Plunge Game playable online. Probably Street Fighter style (predefined characters and all). But that will take a while for me to make since I barely have time to sleep, much less code. I'll probably continue developing it over winter break, though if I don't get it right by then, be prepared to wait until next summer.

I've set up my own webserver at home, so this should be more stable.
http://spaceboy2k.game-host.org/The_Plunge.zip
SpaceBoy2000
S1 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:01 am

Keep up the good work then, but in the same time I think letting that new guy do his game aswell, maybe see if you could tranfer coding and blah blah blah.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby AznChipmunk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:09 pm

EmperorJeramyu wrote:RM2K can't do network play. And if you've ever looked at the code for the plunge, making order out of it would be nigh-impossible without profound effor of some sort.

I didn't mean network play. I meant like an RM2K plunge tournament game.
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Next

Return to Estrana