Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

I can try to use www.byond.com to make it

yes
86%
no (i like the way it already is)
14%

Total votes : 36

Postby Belthazar » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:27 pm

ok well supposing lun does go with this im gonna need a few people who are willing to help, at least one who can draw. Anyone up to it?
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Koren The Wanderer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:23 pm

I'm a reasonable artist, but there are bound to be better. What exactly needs to be drawn?
Koren The Wanderer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:19 pm

I am interested in helping out. I also think that we perhaps can increase gameplay by adding more to the PLunge then the plunge in The Way (the basis will be still teh same).

I am also a C/C++ programmer and if Byond is not what we can use (I have to check it out myself as well), I can always help in the coding department to make it a "real" stand-alone game (albeit a small one with just Estrana and perhaps some random-generated fields of wilderness out of Estrana).
Querente
Wanderer

Postby Telephalsion » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:01 pm

since the way's menu system was based on up left down center directions you could have 9 types of bladearts in each step maybe? other tahn that I think it works pretty good, maybe if you have different weapons, technically you could plunge with a spear, a staff or nunchucks.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:10 pm

Telephalsion wrote:since the way's menu system was based on up left down center directions you could have 9 types of bladearts in each step maybe? other tahn that I think it works pretty good, maybe if you have different weapons, technically you could plunge with a spear, a staff or nunchucks.

that sounds like a good idea, and im trying to get as many as i can as i learn the byond system.

Koren i need to have maps drawn out. What happens is u need to draw every square in a map just like rpg maker only u can customize individual squares. Also i dont know yet but maybe having someone draw the character. I know i can import it from "The Way" folder but i might want to let people choose what they want their character to look like.
"To discover the truth, you must be able to accept it no matter how good or how bad it is." -.Hack Sign
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:24 pm

I took a quick look at Byond, and I can not say that I am impressed. Let me point out it was still only _a quick look_ at the games people made with Byond, the coding language syntax and implementation and a bit of the Dream Maker software. The thing that impresses me was the internet/server/client-code integration. It was nicely hidden away from everything.

In short, I find RPGXP both better and easier to use. OFcourse RPGXP doesnt have multiplayer so it aint an option, but just pointing out for comparison.

What I am worried about is, that character graphics might be based/locked on the tile-sizes (their "icons") which seems to 32x32. As this is in high-resolution, it will become a rather small icon. (Rpgmakers might be have 32x32 tiles as well, but those are in low resolution, so look bigger). I am sure you all agree that if your character is only half the size of a desktop-icon, it will not look very good when they jump and clash in plunge (atleast, not with squinting your eyes to see the little details :) ).

So I hope someone who has already experience with Byond can tell me if the icon sizes for characters can be larger, or perhaps other graphical options?
Querente
Wanderer

Postby Winnipeg » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:57 pm

I can draw well. I can also CG quite well. If you want to see any examples, check out my dev art.

http://winnipeg.deviantart.com

Also, don't base an engine's capabilities on the games that are made with it. Most games made with Rm2k aren't impressive, but The Way is certainly an amazing series.
Although, I agree. Byond isn't exactly a masterpiece. My question is why we aren't using Game Maker. If someone's willing to buy a copy, it has both 3D and MMO capabilities, but if not, there is no online aspect in the free version. Realistically though, it'd be a way better choice as far as coding and options.
Winnipeg
Plyn

Postby AznChipmunk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:04 pm

What's BYOND?
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Postby Querente » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:19 am

@Winnipeg. Yeah, I know..that's why I said I only looked at it superficially, a quick glance. Oh, I do like your art of those "little" swordsmen, it looks very sleek...and somehow, it's style kinda fits with TheWay I think :). Such style can also be made into sprites pretty well, I think.
Querente
Wanderer

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:03 am

Awesome, in my opinion it would be cool if you make some sort of title screens, and if nessesary loading screens with such images, so you have something to gaze at.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 am

Well I'd be glad to do some art for loading screens and stuff. If I have time tonight, I'll try to make some example characters that are closer for the style of The Way. I actually did a picture of Rhue for the Fan Art section under the name "Masked Gamer".
Winnipeg
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:49 pm

I actually did a picture of Rhue for the Fan Art section under the name "Masked Gamer".

That picture rocked. I can't wait to see wht you'll make now.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Belthazar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:26 pm

Ok now I really need people who are willing to help with the making of an online plunge game. I am going to need help with the design of characters and maps. As far as code goes I'm getting the hang of it so if anyone wants to help please either say so in this topic or pm or email me. Thanks.
Belthazar
S2 Hilyn

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:15 am

I'd help, Although I don't know what i can do.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Winnipeg » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:26 am

Like I said, I'm very willing to help out with anything design related. I am working on a character design for a blood lyn, but I just got about 5 new major assignments dumped on me at school, so yeah. Slow progress right now, but it should be done sometime next week.
Winnipeg
Plyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana