Favorite party combination?

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Favorite party combination?

Postby Dr. Casey » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:38 pm

There'll be spoilers in this topic. If you haven't played all the games, then go away.

The Way has a fluctuating party, as we all know. Characters come and go; some are playable in only one episode out of the first five (Cetsa), and some could theoretically be playable in all five (Traziun; he does join your party in Episode 4, you just don't get to fight any battles). So, what grouping of characters do you like? They have to actually join the party, not just be in a scene together.

I like the Rhue, Traziun, and Kloe trio from early Episode 4 (And the Kygar/Cetsa battle in Episode 2). Take any three characters, mix them up, and this is probably the most tightly-knit group you can get. (Switch Lexus with Kloe and you'll get the most functional, seeing as how Rhue will be shoving his head up Lexus's ass instead of biting Kloe's head off, but this makes Traziun the odd one out; he doesn't have a relationship with Lexus, really, wheras he at least has a weak friendship with Kloe). I've always liked being in groups of three, anyway; it's small enough to be intimate, but not all the responsibility lies on you. So... it's nice to have a party made up of three normal and friendly people for once. Compare Rhue/Scatha/Dirk from Episode 5 to this one. Definitely not as pretty.

I also liked the group that Rhue, Traziun, and Gaius had early on in the game. Of course, they all broke up once getting to Lide, so I haven't associated those three together for a long time.

The fifth episode had some interesting parties. Rhue, Kloe, Cetsa, and Dirk made up a funny team that was on relatively good terms. Rhue, Gaius, Scatha, and Dirk was interesting... partially because Gaius kicks your ass, but also because it's such an impartial, loosely-knit, ragtag little group. You'd have never expected those four to get together.

I also kind of like the Rhue, Stoyko, Red Zero group from the fourth episode. It was nice to get away from the main characters and play with some secondary ones. Yea, I know Red Zero is Lexus, but it doesn't really feel like her with the outfit and name.

I never know how to conclude posts. >_>
sqpat17 wrote:Slade: Maybe the sword flew over and landed in his chest. "Oof! Stabbed by two shadow swords in one week!" Okay, maybe not.
Dr. Casey
S2 Hilyn

Postby Burning_Flame » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:48 pm

I always enjoyed the Rhue Kloe group. Small enough thatr it doesn't get annoying telling them all what to do, but the right size for dishing out damage.
Burning_Flame
S2 Corlyn

Postby Lord_Ehrgeiz » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:50 pm

Kloe sucks as fighter - she's too weak.
in order to assess the reality of life, it is necessary at least once to die
Lord_Ehrgeiz
S2 Hilyn

Postby Terra » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:35 pm

I'm going to have to concur with the Rhue (obviously), Traziun, and Kloe from early Ep 4. I mean, Rhue is Rhue in that he grows visibly as the journey continues, Traziun is just badass enough that any group with him in it wins instantly, and Kloe is useful as a "Red Mage" of sorts. Good at everything, yet excellent at nothing, meaning she can kick ass with best of them, and yet be slightly more balanced than the behemoth characters (why hello thar Traz Ep 5!)
Terra
Plyn

Postby Phile » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:45 am

It's interesting that there are formations of guys who wander together but never enter a combat which is the reason why they aren't technically a party (e.g. Rhue/Traziun/Rosmar/Nomi, Jed doesn't count as a fighter)

I think whether a party is interesting or not can be reasoned with regard to two aspects: on the one hand how elaborate or ludicrous (Dirk factor) the conversations are that the party members hold and on the other hand how dramatic and varied the combats are. both aspects depend not only on the party members and their peculiarities but also on external circumstances like what is going on in the story and the severity of the combats, especially the bosses. You could have a cool random party with two fighters, one healer and one guy who increases the others' state values - that would be of no earthly use if there were no challenging combats.

that's why I like the party combinations in Ep.5
tensions between Kloe and Cetsa ergo cool dialogues, bonkers Dirk around us nearly all the time and later, when Scatha joined the party, dramatic combats against Kalmar's creature and the monsters in the Sky Peaks.

I'm curious about the party combinations in Ep.6 :P
Phile
Plyn

Postby Flibbo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:59 am

Traziun by himself, that bit kicks so much ass. Alternatly, i really enjoyed playing as Rhue, Kloe, Cetsa and Dirk in episode 5.
Rhue pretty much kicks ass using hurricane cut whenever he has the Xl and normally attacking when he doesn't. Cetsa and Kloe attack every round mostly and Dirk uses valentine and revive if rhue gets killed (which he always seemed to during that partiular bit for me). I don't know why i just like how that set up works
Tele wrote:Define a cool genital wart.
Flibbo
S1 Corlyn

Postby Master Sam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:13 pm

If I could, I would have Traziun, Rhue, Kloe and Cetsa. BUt my faviorate combination from the game so far has been Dirk, Kloe, Cetsa and Rhue
Master Sam
Wanderer

Postby DarkSorcerer » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:45 pm

i'd say traziun by himself in episode 5 lol hes way too strong! lol
i love watching those blood lyn die too weak for the almighty traziun!
-DarkSorcerer
DarkSorcerer
Wanderer

Postby Forerunner » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 am

Did we ever fight with Rhue/Traziun/Gaius? I know we had them together at the end of Ep1 and the start of Ep2, but I don't remember if we actually fought with them. If so then they were my favorite party, even if they were weak at that point.
My next favorite would definately be Your party at the end of Ep5, it kicked so much ass and battling was so easy.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:53 pm

My favourite combination is DEFINITELY Rhue, Tetzel, the PS and Lexus. I loved that party.

Oh, fuck, you mean in the first five episodes? Er, Rhue, Traziun and Kloe was great, as others have said.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:22 am

Impossible wrote:My favourite combination is DEFINITELY Rhue, Tetzel, the PS and Lexus. I loved that party.

Oh, fuck, you mean in the first five episodes? Er, Rhue, Traziun and Kloe was great, as others have said.

. . . Impossible, you are one magnificent bastard. :D
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:13 am

Impossible wrote:My favourite combination is DEFINITELY Rhue, Tetzel, the PS and Lexus. I loved that party.

You just can't get enough of taunting us can you?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:34 pm

The PS has some awesome moves, and he has a 40% chance of deathblow on any foe. Thought he also has a chance of killing a party member instead...
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:01 pm

Meh... the PS is ok, butI took the time to get Dippy, a much stronger character if you ask me.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Telephalsion » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:48 pm

I never got dippy :/
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Next

Return to Estrana