Why Gaius thinks Rhue is the phantom slasher

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Why Gaius thinks Rhue is the phantom slasher

Postby Roara » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:28 pm

Discuss this as you want, flame me as you want, but the evidence is simple.
Whoever the phantom slasher is, if it's not Rhue, it's been following Rhue around, and there're quite a few victims shown that show it might very well BE Rhue.

Now, what I personally find interesting is, who says the phantom slasher we know and the one everyone in the game knows are the same being? I mean, he only spares children right, so who saw him do the crime? He seems too elite of a murderer to, well, leave witnesses, unless he specifically spares them.
And who says the children were telling the truth? :P

Here's one theory on how that could be possible, without it simply just being true:
What if the phantom slasher we know is an embodiment of crimes done and blamed on by a mysterious "phantom slasher" in the game?
Or in fact, what if the phantom slasher we know just isn't the same being at all, and we're all thinking he or she is simply because it seems to be that way? What if it's just someone stalking and protecting Rhue? Perhaps even Serena, who's JUST as obsessed over Rhue as he is over her, but in a different way?

If this has already been written, my appologies. To aid you in flaming, here're the concepts I just wrote:
The Phantom Slasher not being the same being as the infamous serial killer known in the game.
The Phantom Slasher we see being Serena and not the actual Phantom Slasher at all.
The Phantom Slasher we see being an embodiment of murder.
And the infamous serial killer dubbed the "Phantom Slasher" being more then one individual.
[Edit] I forgot:
Why Gaius thinks Rhue is the phantom slasher. [/Edit]
Also, mind pointing out what topics touched these possibilities? URLs please. :P
Roara
Wanderer

Postby Kyle » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:04 am

I've also thought about the Phantom Slasher possibly being Serena, but this theory lacks a good motive. If Serena notices how much Rhue wants to find her and she is protecting him, still in love maybe, why doesn't she just reveal herself to him?

I don't think it's the embodiment of crime, I mean we do see the Phantom Slasher commit some murders on screen and it's always the same character. It's definitely one person, but probably not Rhue... Unless it's a projection of his aura or something.
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:48 am

She's shy, duh!
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Roara » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:23 am

Shyness and insanity can destroy all solid logic.
In fact, here's one scenario I've thought of:

What if whenever she was injured, whether it was the wolves that did it or what, and as a result of that she lost her memory. What if after wandering around as an amnesiac, she eventually found Rhue (who may have been losing his as well?), and promptly fell in love with him based on forgotten memories.
If she didn't know she was Serena, then why would she even bother revealing herself, when he's obviously going to simply ignore her at best, or at worst consider her a threat to his search.

Hey, it's more likely then The Way being a metaphor for IRC and Blue Scarves representing the differences between script kiddies and hackers. :roll:
Roara
Wanderer

Postby Cryora » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 am

I think the phatom slasher is a character that hasn't been introduced yet and will be later on.
Cryora
Plyn

Postby Elachim » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:21 pm

The phantom slasher cannot be Rhue unless, as mentioned, it is a projection of his aura or somesuch, for the simple reason that Rhue actually saw the phantom slasher in Ep 1. However, the aura projection thing seems to kinda fit, as the slasher follows Rhue around. Everywhere. Even the oddest places. I don't know if you missed it or forgot or what, but the slasher was even there in the E1 intro. And also other places in the middle of nowhere, like just before Rhue and co. enter Matalan. The aura projection thing would explain why Sorya said that Rhue killed her 'Stotzi pals, and this would give Gaius another reason to think Rhue is the slasher. He seems to be investigating the whole thing and would almost certainly have questioned Sorya on the matter.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Miss Nothingness Highness » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:08 pm

I don't think Sorya actually witnessed or heard that Rhue killed her comrades but assumed he outdone them when they attempted to kill him, though I am for the aura projection though
Don't speak just die
Miss Nothingness Highness
S2 Hilyn

Postby Aegis » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Many people ( used to include myself, not anymore though) think that this is because Gaius IS the phantom slasher.

Fact one: Gaius is obviously Kalmar's Perfect Blade, which Kalmar created to "clense the world of evil".

Fact two: Gaius can sense the crimes that people have done, and therefore would know who has sinned and who has not.

Fact three: All of the children are left alive, since they are innocent.

Fact four (kinda crappy): It just looks like Gaius.

Now, I don't believe that anymore. I think that Gaius is actually right about Rhue, and some sort of psychotic split-personality thing is going on so that Rhue is actually the phantom slasher.

EDIT: Related reading:

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2200

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2164

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1315

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1303

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1167

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=132

I know that's a lot. I just think these were some really sweet topics with some great speculation in them.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Antagon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm

One thing I noticed about Rhue was that when the PS broke into his prison cell in the Lyn grounds (to free him?) and he says "The Phantom Slasher! He's rescuing me!?" or something to that effect.

What I think is odd is how Rhue seems to know for a fact that that person was, in fact, the PS. I dont think Rhue ever saw the PS kill anyone before, so how would he know that the guy who broke into his cell was the PS?
Antagon
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 pm

Well, it was "The Phantom Slasher?", key part being the question mark, showing that he wasn't sure who it was. And keep in mind that he did see the PS at Lyrra's campsite and the bunkhouse in Lide, I guess he reconizes the silhouette by now.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Antagon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:02 pm

I took it as "The PS?" the same as he would say if Lyrra busted in and Rhue said "Lyrra?" Ah well...

But still, with every person he hasn't been properly introduced to, he's going to think that they're the phantom slasher?
Antagon
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:16 pm

Rhue has a problem of assuming to much I guess.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PsychicK » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:44 am

The PS didn't free him in the Lyn grounds. It was Scatha.
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:40 am

No, it was the PS. We know what Scatha's shadow looks like from ep2, its definatly not her.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Elachim » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:25 pm

Oops. In the E4 scene where the slasher kills the 'Stotzi, I though Sorya was there and somehow escaped, but it was just some other random purple-haired woman. I didn't look close enough the first time.

edit: Spellink errers. Ack, nut agin!
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Next

Return to Estrana