NES = .nsf
Genesis = .gym
Gameboy = .gbs
Playstation = .psf
Playstation 2 = .psf2
Nintendo 64 = .usf
Gamboy Advance = .gbf (?)

All of the above =/= mp3
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Amgard » Wed May 04, 2005 2:46 pm

http://www.winamp.com

Get a plug-in to convert those formats to Mp3

Easier than a P2P program, and easier than wandering aimlessly looking for Mp3s
Amgard
S2 Hilyn

Postby loona » Wed May 04, 2005 3:50 pm

Dude, those files do not become the same as the MP3s once converted. I'll really quickly describe how the formats differ: all the ones EJ listed contain COMMANDS and sometimes SAMPLES which a sequencer interprets to "arrange" the music. MP3s are frames of CODED SAMPLES (redundancy is removed) and contain no commands: it is only a linear stream of samples, like a WAV file is, but with the difference of being coded (technically, PCM data is also coded data, but...)

If you convert your SPC file to MP3, all you do is let the sequencer output the samples that are arranged from the SPC to create PCM data that is then passed through an encoder which (tries to) remove the redundancy from that. You basically get "less" data left from what the sequencer output.

The formats above are highly optimized methods of representing the music, and when played back and converted to MP3, don't become higher quality or anything. MP3s of videogame music are usually taken from CDs of the OSVs from the game, a completely different source. Usually these are better quality than the arranged ones.

The arranged music is like the "source code". The actual streaming PCM data is the "binary". You can create a binary from the source code, but not vice versa (or at least not without a ton of work). The original "source code" from which the music on the CD is created is usually not the same as that which is used in the above formats. Usually the sample precision is less, or certain effects have been removed (because there are less voices available, for example).

If you want to know why the music on the CDs is better quality than the music in the above formats, I advise you to read up on this stuff. :P
loona
S1 Hilyn

Postby Kyle » Fri May 06, 2005 10:52 am

The thing is, most of these files are actually from the SNES age and are therefore relatively low quality to begin with. You probably won't find any MP3s that have much better quality than what these files have to offer. Even the original soundtracks don't have that much quality over the SNES rips. Trust me on that, I have dozens of OSTs from that period.
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby fall-from-grace » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:44 am

The midi called the wayslade really touched me... How unfortunate for Slade... and with the Scatha being the sister.... and now he died....
I guess this is the saddest character and the most touching midi ... at least for me
fall-from-grace
Wanderer

Postby Teenr0cker » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:26 pm

Ah, the old music tracking thread....Twas here I made my brilliant decision to go off topic and thus, the gaming forums were born. Good times....

Anywho, before we go off on that note, I think Jera would post something along the lines of :"Grawr! I are t3h @D|\/|I|\| |-|3r3!!!! j00 R t3h 0ff-topiczor!!!!"

We track the muzak here...make a thread if you want to admire the music and comment on it.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Antagon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:46 pm

C_Fashion_Botique is the inn music from 7th Saga.
Antagon
Plyn

Postby Sephiroth555 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 am

I have heard the midi BCastle in the japanese cooking show Iron Chef numerous times... That's pretty much all the information I can muster...
Sephiroth555
S1 Hilyn

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:31 am

Any idea what Traziun's theme is? sounds so damn familiar, but I can't figure / remember the name of the song / band. Or maybe it was from a game.. don't remember too well.

Or Lun's original?
Snowy
Plyn

Postby Victor » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:40 am

Snowy wrote:Any idea what Traziun's theme is? sounds so damn familiar, but I can't figure / remember the name of the song / band. Or maybe it was from a game.. don't remember too well.

Or Lun's original?

According to the tags on the file, it's an original from Lun. I already posted it on the EP6 music thread, but it seems the big list here hasn't been updated yet.
Victor
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Updated.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Gordonella » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:50 pm

Tower must be an original midi since I dunno how it could be an MP3 and where it would come from. o_o
Gordonella
Wanderer

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:54 pm

Anybody know where "BThePlayBattle" comes from?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:39 pm

Haven't a clue, but once it gets going it sounds alot like the battle theme in Dragon Warrior Monsters...
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Lazrael » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:10 pm

Uh... the list says that WayTraziun is an original by Lun, but I disagree. It just sounds exactly like "Not Tomorrow" from Silent Hill 1.
Dingeldongel
Lazrael
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana