Walking the Way backwards

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Masked Gamer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:33 pm

Except that Rhue travelled from the backlands of the way to the end of the way within the span of this game in which he didn't noticeably age.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:42 pm

Just because its called the backlands doesn't meen its anywhere near the actual back. What doesn't make sence is why the "backlands" are in the back. If everyone is traveling the same direction, wouldn't the big cities be near the back of the way, while the small settlements at the front?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Bryjnar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 pm

Depends how big the Way is, and how fast the mists move.

Case scenario:
The Way is HUGE. Some enterprising little bunnies go about as far as they can, let's say they get pretty close to the mists, then they get fed up and settle down. The mists creep ahead, really slowly. By the time they get to where they are now, the little settlement is a city. Plus, if the Way is big enough, there may be large patches of rural-ish areas between cities. Maybe there are enormous cities on the Way, they're just way further back than where Rhue started. They could also be off to the side somewhat - we don't know how wide the Way is (I like the idea of it being a cylinder or a torus personally :P ).
Bryjnar
Plyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:41 pm

We have no idea how big the actual way is. I think that the Way is actually 6 dimensional and as a result, theoretically, takes up an unlimited amount of space.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:29 am

I think the backlands are really in the back of the Way because Traziun refers to them as that when asked about how close he is to becoming a Forerunner or something.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:57 am

Well, if thats true then "The End Of The Way" that we know really isn't that close to the end. Which is possible, we just don't have enough infomation to know how far along The Way he is.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Elachim » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Traziun:

"The mists are still a long ways off. It will be a long while before I reach them. We're still in the backcountry of The Way. When you see some of
the cities further along you will understand what I mean."

Presumably he's talking about Estrana for one. (I wonder what other big cities there are...) Estrana seems to be the biggest city on the Way in the opinion of the average wanderer, so that's means the Way is probably not all that long at any point in time, and maybe a lot wider than it is long. Consider Estrana being in the rear third or so of the Way, that would still make the Way somewhat short. Another question is whether the mists remain the same distance apart, or do they move at different rates?

I dunno really, I'm just throwing stuff around here.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Previous

Return to Estrana