Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby hero_bash » Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 pm

xp.. BOO!!!
RM2k/3.. W00t!! Yay!
hero_bash
S1 Hilyn

Postby TeppicTheBloodLyn » Fri May 26, 2006 12:58 am

Silvercrow wrote:
So this program is bad, because you guys are lazy? Wow, now I understand completely. My bad.

Wow, thanks for completely missing the point.

*Sage nod*
Richard Dawkins wrote:Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators.

TeppicTheBloodLyn
S3 Hilyn

Postby Silvercrow » Fri May 26, 2006 6:02 am

Masked Gamer wrote:Wow, I sure am learning a lot about you guys in this topic. :wink:

Wow, thanks for completely missing the point. Again.
Silvercrow
S1 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Fri May 26, 2006 7:46 am

Sorry, but it's hard to see your point when all your arguments come back to you being lazy and incompetant. If you could clarify your point, it would be much appreciated.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri May 26, 2006 9:36 am

So anyone who doesn't want to learn pearl is lazy and incompetant (which I find extremely condescending)? You're setting your standards a little high.

Yes, putting effort into something is a good idea, but there's a difference between normal effort, and Lun effort. You can't honestly expect everyone out there to create something like The Way. There was a point where I thought a game could only be good if it had a CMS, a CBS, and 100% custom resources. But then I went back and played some old RTP games, and I realized it's not about shit like that. It's about conveying something. RPG Makers are a medium for creation (I don't think that's disputable no matter what viewpoint you have).

Now there ARE some people who have the incredible skills and high standards and goals that they want to set for themselves, like Lun, but then there are the people who have less skills, and less time. I say if a crappy 40 minute RTP game helps them realize even a fraction of what they envision, it's fine. No need for advanced scripting and programming languages.

I dunno. Maybe there are people who selflessly make games. I think those people though tend to be big showoffs who never finish their games.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Jasonflare » Fri May 26, 2006 1:03 pm

I agree fully with your post.
Thinking that a game is only a game with a CBS, or CMS is what dooms creators, who spend countless hours about that, and fulfulling a BSed story.
OMG,Image
Jasonflare
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm

RMXP requires code scripts in Ruby. First of all you have to learn Ruby then you have to learn to use it. This takes time and effort. Sure you can get scripts off the net but most of these don't work. Ruby is hard to understand. RMXP graphics is horrible, it's too "shiny". And also, there is this kind of lag which takes place. I was playing a game which I had made in RMXP but every couple of steps it paused for a few microseconds. And also you can do just about everything you can do in RMXP in rm2k/3. Face it, we all love rm2k and rm2k/3 and we will never bow down to RMXP. And if you persist to sway us then you'll probably get so flamed that if you were to spend a lifetime in hell in the prescence of Beelzebub his minions, it would be complete delight compared to 5 minutes in this forum. Not to mention the chances of us recognising RMXP as good are as low as the ankle socks of a particularly small beetle standing in a ditch, in a quarry, in the low-country. You may love RMXP, we don't.

Now I am going break down into a cacophony of 1000 rants about how good rm2k and rm2k/3 are.
rm2k and rm2k/3 requires no programming knowledge. None. Zero. Zilch. Zippo. With this in mind, you can do just about any thing from RMXP in rm2k and rm2k/3 without scripting. Even though the graphics are reminiscent to that of FF6(FF3 if you're from the US), they look good. Resources aren't difficult to make with the exception of perhaps Chipsets and Panoramas. Nearly every single game for rm2k and rm2k/3 are brilliant. There are hardly any games for RMXP and all the games I have seen for RMXP are crappy. More people know how to use rm2k and rm2k/3. RMXP has a limit to how many events you can have per map.
RMXP looks too artificial/shiny.
As EmperorJeramyu rightly said. "RMXP is one step forward and 2 steps back."
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Alundaio » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:44 am

Reasons not to make way series on RMXP:

1. Lun has already made 6 Episodes on rm2k
2. Lun would never make ppl pay money to play The Way
3. Not enough time in Lun's life to do a convert
4. Its not about the graphics
5. not everyone can play games made on RMXP
6. True fans don't care about graphics of The Way

End of Topic...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein
Alundaio
Plyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:59 am

1. So?
2. Why would we have to pay for it if it was on XP?
3. A conversion wouldn't necessarily require Lun to do anything more than supervise.
4. So? Is it a sin to make them better?
5. Like who?
6. Well in that case, why don't we make the graphics better? Since true fans won't care.

I just think there's a bit of a "why not?" factor here. If someone did it with Lun's permission, it could be cool, or it could fail miserably. What do we have to lose? Either way, The Way still exists as an RM2K game.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:45 am

Masked Gamer wrote:1. So?
2. Why would we have to pay for it if it was on XP?
3. A conversion wouldn't necessarily require Lun to do anything more than supervise.
4. So? Is it a sin to make them better?
5. Like who?
6. Well in that case, why don't we make the graphics better? Since true fans won't care.

1. Because we have 6 perfectly good games already that we're content with.
2. True, though it's possible to be free or not.
3. If a fan/fangroup did it, they'd probably screw it up with the large number of metaphors. And supervising such a project is still a lot of work and time. Especially for something like The Way.
4. Sorta like "If it's not broke, don't fix it." And on RMXP the graphics pretty much suck. If they're altered to be RM2k/3 style, there's no argument for graphics altering.
5. There are various copies of RMXP. It has been translated by a few internet people, these versions are not compatable. They are not compatable with the official translation of RMXP (which is what Lun would most likely use). And I've noticed something in common with all RMXP games from the Official version. They don't seem to work for no reason. Maybe you NEED the official version of RMXP. I don't know. Stupid rmxp.net, worse than GamingWorld.
6. Because they might change the feel of the game to something Lun didn't intend. They might change our perspective of The Way as a concept. It'll detract from the Retro SNES style of The Way (which is the entire point of Rm2k/3 games, which RMXP fails to do).
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Ha, someone off of rmxp.net thought Lun was a woman.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm

Sling wrote:Ha, someone off of rmxp.net thought Lun was a woman.

Name one member of the forum that wouldn't sleep with him.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby PsychicK » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:34 pm

Fitz Tayo wrote:
Sling wrote:Ha, someone off of rmxp.net thought Lun was a woman.

Name one member of the forum that wouldn't sleep with him.

Lol... :lol:

I don't know why you all dislike RMXP so much. The graphics are awesome, with the only disadvantage that there aren't enough people to modify those or create new ones... And that's quite a big disadvantage, unfortunely. :?
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:04 pm

Well firstly, you could just get Lun to rerender the 3d backgrounds to a higher resolution. The brunt of the work would be creating an updated, original sprite set that would match the 3d backgrounds better. Other than that, there'd be no other significant changes. The dialogue and coding would remain identical.

Also, as far as the retro look. I somehow don't think Lun was going for that. Consider the Maya graphics... not too SNES like. And compatibility issues aren't a problem. Just like with Rm2k, you can export any RTP you need and make the game independant.

And finally, don't equate RMXP.net with the program. The community sucks, that doesn't mean the program does.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:47 am

Still missing the point that The Way doesn't need improving. Why do we need to use a slightly differant battle system, or why does somebody have to go to the effort of coding the old battle system? Why do we need that higher resolution that ruins the feel of games with its half-assed detail and makes you feel like you slide across maps? Why does somebody need to code a menu-system exactly like the one we already have?

WHY? What benifit would we get from RMXP. The only thing that could possibly be improved was changing the Menu from a picture based thing to a coded one (OMG the monsters now stay where they are when I use the menu!!!). The battle system at the moment is perfect. There is no need for any sort of battle sprites and I don't see what adding a picture (As per RMXP's system) will ever really do. The RMXP graphics are just bad because they make everything seem half-assed: "We COULD have made a beautiful flawless game where you can't see the pixels, or we could have stuck with the retro SNES feel that everybody adores, but let's do somewhere in between." This being so we can assume they'd be changed back to RM2ks to keep it the same, which would defy the point of sticking it on RMXP in the first place.

The entire point of Re-makes is to have improvement. Of some large kind. SNES games remade into PS2 games. High quality with a large change. Ooooh we could make it 3D! But use inconsistant, blocky graphics that suck. Sounds good to me. I'm sorry but the only way I can see The Way being remade is either through gradual improvements on the current series (Such as Lun is doing now, but just taken further and further whenever he feels like it, e.g. gradually phasing out the non-original graphics or somesuch) or by a complete overhaul on an advanced system. RMXP is not advanced enough. The Way doesn't need an improvement, especially not the small insignificant ones that would come from using RMXP.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana