Simple question...

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Xusa » Wed May 24, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm NOT too sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think they had people from REFMAP make the chipsets/charsets.
Xusa
Plyn

Postby Silvercrow » Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 am

Masked Gamer wrote:You do realize that you could easily make a game in RMXP using a 3d engine to make the graphics.

True, but how many people can actually have/are bothering to buy a decent rendering program? They're not cheap, you know. And rendering isn't easy to do well.

RMXP has about the same possibility for great games as RM2K, but there are different challenges to it.

This is true, but from what I've seen, it's apparent that nobody is able to face those challenges.

Oh and, if you really wanted to, you could also make the graphics 256 colour and 320x240 resolution if you REALLY want that retro look.

Or, you could use Rm2k/3, maybe.

I seriously don't mean to offend, but I think your arguments are pretty ignorant.

I dunno, I think your arguments are ignorant as well. Again, no intent to offend, but my point still stands.

I'm NOT too sure, so don't quote me on this, but I think they had people from REFMAP make the chipsets/charsets.

I doubt it, because they disbanded a while ago, but even if they did, I don't remember seeing credit anywhere.
Silvercrow
S1 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu May 25, 2006 6:01 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Oh, I see. Apperantly he hasn't relized how sarcastic the forum is yet.

A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG mistake, no?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu May 25, 2006 7:48 am

True, but how many people can actually have/are bothering to buy a decent rendering program? They're not cheap, you know. And rendering isn't easy to do well.

http://orange.blender.org/

Made entirely in open source programs.

Also, the point is, if someone committed and talented comes along to make a game in RMXP, it won't be shit. It's not like it's a restrictive awful program. Just because the RMXP community sucks doesn't mean the program does.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu May 25, 2006 9:28 am

Masked Gamer wrote:Also, the point is, if someone committed and talented comes along to make a game in RMXP, it won't be shit. It's not like it's a restrictive awful program. Just because the RMXP community sucks doesn't mean the program does.

How is that an argument for why we should use it? We're lazy bums. We like to work on fun things that aren't half as difficult as they are in real life. If we can make all we want to/are willing to using RM2k/3, why use RMXP and complicate things.

It's like you assume we want to put ass-loads of effort into a game to make a sub-par 3D game.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 am

The only good looking games I've seen for RMXP are remakes (ABL, Nigsek), and that's because the game makers themselves are awesome. I thought the point of making such high level editing programs like an RPG Maker is so that people who DIDN'T know any programming languages could at least make something halfway decent. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. RMXP is one step forward, two steps back.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 pm

So this program is bad, because you guys are lazy? Wow, now I understand completely. My bad.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm

Well with the amount of effort you're talking about, why not code the game from the ground up? Apparently people who don't want to learn a scripting language are lazy.

I wrote:XP seems to me to be one step forward, and two steps back from 2k3. It seems like they recycled lots of stuff RM95 of all things. Like, just walking your character walk around on scree. It looks stale and dim. Yes, the sprites can be a higher resolution, but Rm2k's pixelish look really gave it a kind of personality, and brought it closer to a true SNES console-style RPG. Not to mention MIDIs are forced to have this strange reverb effect that sounds really crappy. I also noticed there isn't a built in face-pic option of any sort. Making everything a higher resolution doesn't necessarily make it better.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sling » Thu May 25, 2006 5:07 pm

I say rm2k/3 is the best. But creating Battle Sprites is time consuming, (which is probably why it took me 2 years to make one game).
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Silvercrow » Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 pm

Sling wrote:But creating Battle Sprites is time consuming, (which is probably why it took me 2 years to make one game).

Depends. I can make a decent battle sprite in about fifteen minutes.

So this program is bad, because you guys are lazy? Wow, now I understand completely. My bad.

Wow, thanks for completely missing the point.
Silvercrow
S1 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu May 25, 2006 8:30 pm

The kind of effort I'm talking about is the kind of effort that went into The Way, and tons of other RM2K games. I mean, 3d graphics aren't all that much harder to make than sprites if you're good. And Ruby is dead simple once you get the hang of it. They're just different skill sets you have to learn.

A lot of people's issues with RMXP seem to be with the RTP, but hell, all good games made in the RM series don't use the RTP, whether they be RM2K/3 or XP. I just think you guys attribute too much to the program that is actually on the shoulders of the coder.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu May 25, 2006 8:33 pm

XP sucks, 2k3 all the way.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu May 25, 2006 8:33 pm

And Ruby is dead simple once you get the hang of it.

Well yeah, same with brain surgery and rocket science.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu May 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Masked Gamer wrote:if you're good.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu May 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Wow, I sure am learning a lot about you guys in this topic. :wink:
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana