Simple question...

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am

I think you're missing the point. The RTP of RMXP sucks, however I'm talking about making original graphics that aren't in the rtp style. As in basically making it look 3D. Why wouldn't you when you already have the majority of the game in 3D? It's not a matter of improving coding or anything else, but merely for the graphics.

Ooooh we could make it 3D! But use inconsistant, blocky graphics that suck.

You know, I love The Way. But that's EXACTLY what the graphics are now. Why wouldn't you make them completely consistant. It's the next logical step.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:30 am

By 3D. I mean 3D. Not 2D with slightly shinier graphics that give the impression of 3D. And I don't know about you, but it'd be damn fuggin' hard to recreate various towns, Estrana, the insides of houses (Tents were fine, being not very detailed) and all those caves. Oh yeah and the Marna stretch. It'd take a hell of a lot to do that, and I've got the feeling houses in the 3D style of the way would just end up really large and horrible looking.

That brings us back to the point of who is going to do this. Somebody with good skills, a knowledge of The Way, tremendous willpower and the ability to not get pissed off and bored when things inevitably turn out bad for the 100th time.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:00 pm

Not forgetting that RMXP is limited to how many events you can have on one map.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 pm

It wouldn't be hard to make large areas. Keep in mind that chipsets in RMXP can use anti-aliasing. You could make 3D chipsets and then just make the maps just as Lun did. And I'm sure at least one of Lun's raving fans would have the skills and devotion to recreate it.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:03 am

While I don't doubt the skills (or at least the desire to learn the skills) I can't see anybody on the forum doing that without it going down the drain.

And I suppose large areas wouldn't be THAT hard, save for getting the grid correctly arranged especially for one "block" paths and stuff. But any areas with lots of detail (trees, rivers, houses, rocks) is still going to be hard. Lots of detailed areas would be hard unless you're willing to make a generic rock or tree tile, that would probably look slightly off against the background anyway.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sentinel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:59 am

If we're going to upgrade it, we really should go for a whole remake. Get a publisher on the line, sign a few contracts, get it done on it's own game engine in a professional studio, full 3d, etc.
Sentinel
Plyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:51 am

Sentinel wrote:If we're going to upgrade it, we really should go for a whole remake. Get a publisher on the line, sign a few contracts, get it done on it's own game engine in a professional studio, full 3d, etc.

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Alundaio » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Thank you Fitz Tayo, you say things that i would say.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein
Alundaio
Plyn

Re: Simple question...

Postby Alundaio » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Spider-K wrote:And except that, the RM2K costs like a 100$, right? And in Japanese..... Unless you hack it.....
RPG Maker XP costs 60$, and you are allowed, following their liscense, sell the games you make through them legally....

Sorry to post twice, I been drinking a bit, but thats why I said Lun would never make ppl pay for his game. And also I would refuse to play a remake that Lun himself never made.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein
Alundaio
Plyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:24 pm

I've been playing good ol' Dungeon Seige recently and thinking about how good looking the environment is. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a mod of DS for The Way? (Hint, hint.) The cave areas would look great, though the engine would take a lot of work - probably have to hack the exe. Can anyone out there do that kind of thing?

And:

It wouldn't be hard to make large areas. Keep in mind that chipsets in RMXP can use anti-aliasing. You could make 3D chipsets and then just make the maps just as Lun did. And I'm sure at least one of Lun's raving fans would have the skills and devotion to recreate it.

Anti-aliasing? I'm not sure about that. Do you mean the alpha channel feature? And the backgrounds wouldn't work well - the panoramas don't work on a per-map basis as in RM2K, and the scrolling speed is less customisable. That makes it impossible to do those great renedr backgrounds without some mad custom scripts. Or maybe that's just my version of RMXP - the Postality Knights al a pirate version.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Do you mean the alpha channel feature?
Yeah, that would allow anti-aliasing, considering anti-aliasing is made by adjusting the alpha of certain pixels on the outer edge of an object. And as for the backgrounds. Just make a tileset per background, no big deal. And guess what? I've never used the code editing feature of RMXP before, and I found how to change the scrolling speed of the panoramas. It was easy as hell, it took me 15 minutes to find the script that needed changing under Spriteset_Map.

# タイルマップを更新
@tilemap.ox = $game_map.display_x / 4
@tilemap.oy = $game_map.display_y / 4
@tilemap.update
# パノラマプレーンを更新
@panorama.ox = $game_map.display_x / 8
@panorama.oy = $game_map.display_y / 8

Change the 8s to 4s and presto chango, it moves properly.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Ha, this post is 5 pages long already. Wow.

Whenever I made changes to the code in RMXP it never worked on any version of rmxp ever.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Alundaio » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:34 pm

Though I am Against a "Remake," I would have to say: If it was going to be 2D then I would suggest not even using a RPG Maker at all. I would have to go with Game Maker if you have any background in programming. I don't mean using the gay click and drag features, but using the powerful scripting language it has. It is very similar to C. Also It has a very good built in sprite editor/importer and very useful particle effects. I think its even faster to use to RMXP.

A 3D The Way would be probably the most amazing game ever made, if done correctly. Definitly not a task one himself can take alone...maybe with an army of people.

Oh, and if you have a single hot mother, I'll be your daddy!
Alundaio
Plyn

Postby Elachim » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Masked Gamer wrote:Yeah, that would allow anti-aliasing, considering anti-aliasing is made by adjusting the alpha of certain pixels on the outer edge of an object. And as for the backgrounds. Just make a tileset per background, no big deal. And guess what? I've never used the code editing feature of RMXP before, and I found how to change the scrolling speed of the panoramas. It was easy as hell, it took me 15 minutes to find the script that needed changing under Spriteset_Map.

Kyle wrote:You bastard!
Maybe it's 'cos I can't read the Japanese. :P

Thanks, though. That solves a problem for me. I was thinking I'd have to create a whole new display layer. The per-map basis of the panoramas is still annoying though. The game file will be huge if you make a tileset for each map.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Spider-K » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Well, I know I said I won't be back but.......
Anyways, I think I have a few things to clear up:
First of all, I don't intend to get Lun in anyway in this project, not paying for anything, not helping with the project, unless he's willing to; Except for getting permission from him ( He said it's not necessary, but... Blah, I guess I won't make it then... ).
Now as for graphics, I am a nice spriter, and I can also get help from others.
About the scripting, I guess you can't really understand why it's better to make what's already there...
Well, for a start we can make it better.
We can make it easier to use, simpler to look at, we can make the font...... not look weird ( It did, in my opinion..... Too stretched ). The menus will not be exactly the same, we can improve them. Make them controll better. In less time of work, and no chances of the program "missing" the button.

Besides, if you don't want to play it, fine!
Nobody forced you, the team which is making the game is the one having all the the trouble, not you. Don't like it? Don't want to like it? Screw off.

Now about the event number limitation? Limit is 999, and the game doesn't lag untill at least 300, and there is a script working that can change that behavior.

Now if I did get permission to make the game, it would be interesting for the XP communities. You don't like it, tell somebody who cares.
Honestly, I don't see what the big fuss was all about. All I wanted in the first place was to know why you didn't make the later episodes in RMXP.
You have clearified that to me.
Now explain to me why you should care if we make am XP version?
If you don't want to see how it is, go ahead.
And about the payments?
What payments? We do this for fun. Also, this is copyrighted to Lun, so if he won't let me make it, I won't.
If he let's me make it but not sell it ( Which I never meant to in the first place; ) then I won't.

And if you want an example of what RMXP can do with a good making skill? Check out the TUTotCA, or the Sol Cautare game.
Spider-K
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana