Lun's next project

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:43 am

Masked Gamer wrote:Yeah, but less impressive. I totally pictured a Matrix clone for that. :P

And as for the whole Fantasy not being a social norm, four words: Pirates of the Carribean. It's friggin' huge, and it's even more socially normal than LotR.

That's in our world though. Nobody cares if something is in our own world. Regardless of time, usually. People much prefer, for some reason, to watch crappy horror films that all happen to be the same, or homosexual action films that all happen to be the same, or unfunny comedy films that include a romantic element and most likely include teenagers or people in their mid-20s, that also happen to be the same.

I've never really thought of PotC as Fantasy, when I say Fantasy, I MEAN proper fantasy, like, completely differant, mystical world where scientific advancements don't go past swords and everybody's clothes and hair are seriously screwed up. I know lots of things come under the Fantasy genre as a whole, but certain things happen to be more fantasy-esque than others.

A screen-play would definatly suit The Way much better I think, though if they "anime-ed" it and drew it out. Like, twelve episodes for the entire Strata Plunge in Estrana, that'd suck.

Alundra: How can the name of a something affect your opinion of it? If The Way was called something stupid like "Final Fantasy: Endless Journey" or some typical spin-off name like that, would you dislike it?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Kcrazy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:04 pm

Alundra: How can the name of a something affect your opinion of it? If The Way was called something stupid like "Final Fantasy: Endless Journey" or some typical spin-off name like that, would you dislike it?

Exactlying, naming your work is one of the most important things that you have to do. Thats why most people wait till the end to name their own work. The title is what everyone see first, its has to appear interesting and original.

Like Fitz siad, if the way were Final Fantasy: Endless Journey many people would never had played the game, as the automatically assume its going to be another Final Fantasy rip off. Were The Way trigger you curiosity more.
Kcrazy
S1 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Well, that's sorta HALF of what I was saying. I meant that after the game is played, nobody would've cared if it was called that (Apart from wondering why the hell it was called that). But it's true many people would be off-put by that title and wouldn't play it in the first place. Then again, I don't think Spirits Within would've gotten as many sales if people didn't think "Hey, it's a film of a game I like, gotta go watch!" though undoubtedly, gamers would discover it was made by Squaresoft anyway and would watch it none the less.

I guess it depends on the situation.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:30 pm

The Plunge could simply be battojutsu combined with huge leaps, again and again.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:05 pm

If they were to do plunges, I'd have thought they'd just run at each other like in a Katana fight (as depicted in various anime) but just, running back and forth. Whilst completly ignoring the Lunge Cut, Drop Slash and Cross Sweep, plus Risk attacks, whilst concentrating on Blade Arts and Finishers. I think it'd be too hard and complicated to explain what each particular move looks like, and why it bests a differant move in a film or television series (less so in a series).
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 pm

I still say there is no good way to do the Plunge in live action. Running or jumping back and forth in a line will look really awkward.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Dr. Casey » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 am

How would it work, anyway? I mean... they cut each other with swords multiple times, and yet Rhue usually isn't even bleeding by the end of the plunge. It would be hard to translate it from videogame to television.
sqpat17 wrote:Slade: Maybe the sword flew over and landed in his chest. "Oof! Stabbed by two shadow swords in one week!" Okay, maybe not.
Dr. Casey
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:07 am

Wrong, they block each other multiple times until one person gets a slash in.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:35 am

I would never have played The Way if it had the name "Final Fantasy" in the title. Not just because I hate Final Fantasy, but because names like that scream unoriginality, not only in the title but in the game.

The Way is a great name, though.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:01 am

I don't see why a plunge would be so hard to do in live action. The biggest thing is knowing what did work in the game and what will and what won't work in live action. If they didn't do it in a straight line, you dropped the whole rock paper scissors thing, added in some new moves, it'd be wicked. Its only structured like that originally because it's the easiest way to do it in a video game.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Alundra » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:34 pm

[quote="Kcrazy"][quote]Alundra: How can the name of a something affect your opinion of it? If The Way was called something stupid like "Final Fantasy: Endless Journey" or some typical spin-off name like that, would you dislike it?[/quote]

Exactlying, naming your work is one of the most important things that you have to do. Thats why most people wait till the end to name their own work. The title is what everyone see first, its has to appear interesting and original.

Like Fitz siad, if the way were Final Fantasy: Endless Journey many people would never had played the game, as the automatically assume its going to be another Final Fantasy rip off. Were The Way trigger you curiosity more.[/quote]

Err what I meant by that is that the ff spirits within actually didn't deserve the FF part of its name... It had absolutely NO tie-ins beside a lame tiny chocobocameo that I have missed like every time... Okay so arguably there's the 'summon' deal with the last spirit and all... and the lifestream bit from FF7... BUT that's as far as similarities go... And they're even farfetched. Like I said, I went and saw the movie when it came out and liked it very much, yet I was disapointed that it wasn't more FF... So indeed naming something is pretty important and I do like ff still on the topic of liking the ff movie or not, I just think it was called ff just to draw in some fans... that's about it. If it were called spirit within and nothing more I think it would be justified a little more of it's content. Meh nevermind ;)

Final Fantasy: Endless Journey still would have gotten my interest but I would've flamed lun then for not using any ff related things ^_^
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:40 pm

You could call Dippy a moogle...
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Alundra » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:45 pm

and the bird eating lylah (sacrificia's wife) a chocobo :lol: :roll:
Alundra
S3 Hilyn

Postby Red » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:13 am

Alright, real quick just to clarify. There have been several people who have said that a The Way screenplay would be much better than a movie. Let me explain: a "screenplay" is another term for the script of a theatrical film. It is not a different medium altogether. That would be like me saying "I think you should shoot the scene with a camera rather than on film"; they are one-and-the-same.

I think what everyone is referring to, or, at least, generally agreeing to, is a The Way television mini-series, rather it be live-action or animated. I don't know, though. I can definitely see The Way being a huge cinematic hit in theaters, but I can also imagine it spreading throughout the world as a popular television program.

Nevertheless, it makes me ponder to an even further degree as before what Mr. Lun Calsari is planning to release next. Is it another "The Way"-esque game? Is it another game series altogether? Or is he going to explore all of the options we have brought up, seeking perhaps producers for a The Way film experience?

Hmmm...

Anyway, just something to think about.
When the game of life makes you feel like quittin',
It helps a lot if you kill a kitten

--Stephen Lynch, "Kill a Kitten"
Red
Plyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am

Well The Way would quite easily fit into the one hour drama series catagory. I can imagine it being like Lost, without the stupid endless amounts of shots that are just muted panning shots with queer music in the background. So, like Lost in that everybody rims it and can't wait 'til the next episode so they go and download it from Limewire.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana