The Way Film?

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Star Trek was already enough of an amateur parody of itself. :roll:
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Preki wrote:Guys - forget about Hollywood, let's make an amateur film! Have you ever heard/seen a film titled "Star Wreck"?
It's an amateur parody of "Star Trek" made by some freaks from Finland. Some newspapers says that "Star Wreck" is even better than "Star Trek".

So, how about this idea, huh?

I happen to have seen this Star Wreck you refer to. Specifically, Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning. Thing is, it's supposed to be funny, but something gets lost in the translation from Finnish to subtitled English. The effects are quite impressive for a fan film, but other than that ... sorry, not too impressed.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:48 am

Well Lun has already made an amateur film for some film fest, I think. Lun is slowly working his way up from the bottom. It is entirely possible.
Simon Cowell is really successful manager and A&R in the music industry, but he only started off as a tea boy for all the head honchos of the record company.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby shadow » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:23 am

in media, you HAVE to start as a runner, no matter what your qualifications or status, that's why i always think it's kinda cheesy using that story.
shadow
Wanderer

Postby Sling » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 am

I wasn't talking about media, I was talking about the film and music industries. Either way, you're wrong. You don't always have to start as a 'runner'. I know people who were taken straight in as A&R reps, so bollocks to your theory mate.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Re: The Way Film?

Postby Sling » Wed May 04, 2011 4:12 pm

So, a friend and I thought it would be a cool idea if we made some live action trailers for The Way. Like what they did with Towers of Midnight (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0NzOXEg). We were thinking of basically shooting a bunch of trailers for different characters. I sent Lun a message on YouTube and he thought the idea sounded pretty cool.

I have been listening to a bunch of stuff recently and this one song by Before the Dawn struck me as being a good to use track. I couldn't find the version of the song on YouTube but I did manage to download Lun's trailer for The Way and put it to said song (which, coincidentally, Lun thought was well done), the song being the acoustic version of My Room from their latest album Deathstar Rising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdJiV39eY4

I was thinking of using that same music for a trailer featuring Lyrra.

I have found what I feel is perhaps the best piece of music that could be used for a trailer featuring Rhue, a metal version of Here Comes The Rain Again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZYj7U00b1Q

I was thinking of using this for a trailer featuring Scatha and/or Slade, Refined in the Fire by Winds of Plague:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPe3K-vbr8

I was thinking of using this for a pastiche trailer featuring the phantom slasher, the black lyn and other blood lyn the blue scarves and maybe other groups like the guided too, Raise the Dead/One for the Butcher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQtu6agSsSc

Lun said he was not too fond of "hardcore metal" but I felt that they suit the characters both musically as well as thematically. I.e. "I fear no evil, evil fucking fears me" suits Slade right down to a tee and also fits Scatha somewhat as well, and the whole "I am refined in the fire, from the flames I emerge" fits Scatha like a glove, imo. The "we have come as children of the night, sworn to drain everything of life" fits the phantom slasher but also the Blood Lyn (imo) esp. given the use of the plural 'we'.

I was thinking of using this for a combo trailer featuring Traziun and Gaius, Empyreal by Sylosis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdPoL1yQsA

The reason why I chose this is because it sounds cool, badass but also mysterious and the theme of a cave fits the setting where you first meet Gaius.

We were also thinking of maybe doing a half-hour to an hour long feature film, although both Lun and I agreed that that would be difficult due to money and time limitations. I was thinking of taking all the movie appropriate material from Episode 1 and maybe merging it with some stuff from Episode 2, although Lun said that Ep 1 probably isn't the best choice although he thought the fireside scene would be good to use. Obviously, this would need to be carefully thought out. One possibility is seeing if I could get these guys on board:
http://www.youtube.com/user/huntforgollum

Another possibility is getting people from my university to help. Anyway...

Feel free to pitch in suggestions and so on. One thing I would like advice on is costumes. Like, what material should Traziun's costume be made from? And so on. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby donk3y » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:25 am

I agree that an anime would be better for The Way than a movie (I don't think Lun wants The Way to turn out like dragon ball z turned out when they made a movie O_O). I think an anime would give more possibilities, but then again, if it's successful, the higher ups will want to extend it to infinity -_- (like what's happening to bleach now, I personally think bleach ended at about 150 episodes...)
donk3y
Wanderer

Postby Koren The Wanderer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am

Sling wrote:So, a friend and I thought it would be a cool idea if we made some live action trailers for The Way.

Are you still working on these? I would love to see 'em.
=]
Koren The Wanderer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Koren The Wanderer wrote:Are you still working on these? I would love to see 'em.

I haven't got round to it yet. I shall get round to them in my own good mystical time. I did win a camcorder from a YouTube contest (thus freeing me from the obligation of going out of my way and buying one) although it is shipping from America and I have no idea how long it will take to arrive. Either way, I am a full-time 2nd year BA (hons) student studying History and Music at the University of Chichester, and I'm also writing a book.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm

'Sup, nerds. That video camera I supposedly won never materialised. I am currently spending all of this summer in America, which shall be immediately followed by the last year of my BA (Hons) in History and Music. Third year is dissertation year too. Next summer I'm getting married, and then plan on doing an MRes in Jewish History and Culture at the University of Southampton (which takes a year) and then a PhD (which takes four.) So, I have very little time for my planned project of making The Way live action short films and/or trailers/promos.

If people want to, they can post their own ideas here, and, if I think they're good, I'll end up using them (and said person/people will get a mention/credit for their contribution.) I am just going to post an epic piece of music that I think could be used for maybe a battle sequence montage featuring various characters from The Way, possibly a montage of sequences from the actual games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2fCD1hrow

Also, 2200th post, bitches.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:41 pm

I just thought, instead of doing that, I could write a short film set in The Way's universe. Kind of like Dragon Age: Redemption. This may take awhile though.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 am

OK, so, it's been awhile. Anyway, my brother-in-law and his friends regularly make amateur films for various contests. I pitched The Way to him. He basically said to write a script and he'd read it and, if he was interested, he'd be on board with making it. For what that's worth...
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby LunC » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:09 pm

Sorry, I'm really bad at checking these boards.

Thanks for dropping this note. It would definitely be cool to do a short amateur film.

Out of curiosity, what kind of films do they make? Live-action? Animated? Are any of their past films available on the internet to view?

Thanks!

Lun
LunC
Pharaphalyn

Postby Sling » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby LunC » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:15 pm

Pretty cool what they were able to create in just 48 hours.

I think The Way would be really difficult to do for a small indie group though. The costumes, the locations... Seems like the best bet would be to write some sort of short script based on The Way set in a single location. That might actually be doable by an indie crew.

Not sure what that might look like, but I think it could be fun to write and pitch a short script.

Just don't have much energy at the moment for another project. I'm working a full time job, promoting and updating my Japanese learning game, and doing some writing for another indie game project.

Were you pitching the entire Way saga to your brother-in-law? Maybe you have an idea for a short?

Lun
LunC
Pharaphalyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana