The Way: Easter Eggs and Secrets Guide

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

The Way: Easter Eggs and Secrets Guide

Postby Rangi42 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:29 pm

I was inspired by Jabbo Kaldra's FAQ/Walkthrough, and started writing this a month ago. It doesn't explain how to beat the game (his walkthrough does that), but lists and discusses as many Easter eggs, hidden notes, encoded text, deleted scenes, or otherwise secret aspects of The Way. Obviously there will be spoilers for all 6 episodes in this guide, so if you just started playing The Way, don't read it. Credits and copyright info can be found in the two files.

There's a well-formatted HTML guide, and a smaller text-only one:
HTML (63 KB)
Text-only (56 KB)

Their contents are:
  • Easter Eggs
    • The Original Hero of The Way
    • C.O.O.L Meeting
    • Cocoa Was Here
    • Short Sketch
    • Cocoa's Scene
    • Deleted and Altered Scenes
    • Bookshelves
    • Mirrors
    • Minor Easter Eggs
  • Secrets and Codes
    • Game Over Messages
    • Hidden Messages
    • Jopaga's Books
    • Citadel Scavenger Hunt
    • PBW Bishop
    • PGP Start Code
    • M 2 O Man
    • WayVoice Files
    • Notes
Later I plan to add appendices, like a list of the sources for The Way's music. ("Practical" lists of Notch items, Blade Arts, Sword Auras, monsters, etc have already been done.)
Last edited by Rangi42 on Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 14 times in total.
I've used this name on boards for a while before I learned about the artist and Crestfallen Studios site designer Rangi.
Rhue: People aren't perfect!
Phantom: People are selfish.
Rhue: They can change...
Phantom: You know they can't.
Rhue: Some try!
Phantom: All fail.
Rhue: ... ...I don't care. I just want someone who won't stop trying. And I won't stop either...
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:50 pm

Good work! Good work! Ah, the PGP code... The answers lie within, methinks. Does anyone know the actual syntax of a PGP code? Perhaps the keys are hidden somewhere else.

Kleunwrade is thought to be an anagram of "Luke Wander", IIRC.

Phlounder was the name of a band Lun was in.

Here's something probably very few people saw. I know it's not in any newer versions of E5, and I don't even know if it was in any of the later betas, but in the earliest E5 beta (which probably only I and a couple others played- This was months before the actual betas began) there was an interesting (and frightening) comment left in.

It's the map "Blana Sera Temple", in the CONTROLLER event (4,36), page 3. At the bottom after the screen fade out, the following comment appears:
Code: Select all
-
-
I thought about killing Rhue here and ending the game.  Just because
I'm feeling so sick and I don't think I'll be able to finish with the real ending...
Lun
-
-

And on the 4th page, near the top, right after the screen fade in and the move command:
-
I had the Phantom Slasher showing, but I erased that.  Realized it serves better without the Slasher shown here. Later campsite. -
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Rangi42 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:45 am

Thanks for the material, Jeramyu! Very thorough event citation.

If the PGP keys are hidden elsewhere, they'll look as random (and as long) as the code itself; they aren't something like "BISHOP" or "CITADEL". <http://www.pitt.edu/~poole/PGP.htm#step7>
I've used this name on boards for a while before I learned about the artist and Crestfallen Studios site designer Rangi.
Rhue: ... ...I don't care. I just want someone who won't stop trying. And I won't stop either...
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby Angel_OA » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:19 am

I thought about killing Rhue here and ending the game. Just because
I'm feeling so sick and I don't think I'll be able to finish with the real ending...
Lun

Who is Lun leaving these messages for? There's another comment like this near where you battle Core. There are probably others too. Seems like making The Way was no pleasant experience.
From what my barber told me, I now knew that nothing was real.
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 am

I think that the lack of actual feedback was one of the causes, honestly, If I would be pouring my soul into a masterpiece and then find out only a small handful of people cares about it while over a million care for a depthless hack n' slash game made by a perverted author I would be depressed too.

But alas, this is the fate of they who are truly great.

(Mind you, The Way only really got good from mid episode 4 to the end, it started as a game but later on transformed to a story)

Anyway, great work, you have performed a great service to us all.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 am

Couldnt see it because rapidshare thinks I'm a bot. Always does,dont know why.

Theres also the comment in the controller event in the city, on the page where Rhue kills Sacrifa (which is a whole discussion in itself) and runs into the tower, that says:
===================================
END OF EPISODE 6 (ORIGINALLY)

Makes you wonder what could have been next.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:28 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Couldnt see it because rapidshare thinks I'm a bot. Always does,dont know why.

Theres also the comment in the controller event in the city, on the page where Rhue kills Sacrifa (which is a whole discussion in itself) and runs into the tower, that says:
END OF EPISODE 6 (ORIGINALLY)

Makes you wonder what could have been next.

I had a discussion with Wellsy on IRC the other day, and I think we've both concluded that The Way had a premature end. I was debating on whether or not to post the log, but I think now's a good time.

[Discussing "Inner circles" of bad guys, like the Kaibutsu lords from TTHW]

[00:44] <Wellsy> would the blana sera fall into this categry as well?
[00:44] <Wellsy> *category
[00:45] <Jeramyu> I dunno. We don't really know too much about them. They seem far too mythical.
[00:46] <Wellsy> i always wanted to know more about them
[00:48] <Jeramyu> there certainly wasn't much said about the,
[00:48] <Jeramyu> m
[00:49] <Wellsy> no, they showed up at kloe's execution, and that was all we saw of them
[00:49] <Wellsy> no, we heard them
[00:49] <Wellsy> oops
[00:51] <Jeramyu> actually, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I think The Way was ended prematurely.
[00:51] <Wellsy> it does seem that way
[00:51] <Wellsy> i always thought the blana sera and tetzel would be big players in the outcome
[00:52] <Jeramyu> I know I've gone on record as saying Episode 6 was "different", but doesn't E6 seem just a little TOO weird?
[00:52] <Wellsy> yeah, i thought so
[00:52] <Wellsy> I always said it just seems so disconnected from everything else that took place
[00:53] <Jeramyu> I hate to do this to The Way... but, RPG Cliche 182: Compression of Time
[00:53] <Jeramyu> As you approach the final confrontation with the villain, events will become increasingly awkward, contrived and disconnected from one another -- almost as if some cosmic Author was running up against a deadline and had to slap together the ending at the last minute.
[00:53] <Jeramyu> Only I think the cosmic deadline was Lun's patience for working on the series.
[00:53] <Wellsy> like 1-5 are part of this cohesive narrative and 6 is just ... added on?
[00:53] <Jeramyu> yeah, exactly
[00:54] <Wellsy> well, i would have hoped that Lun started the Way with some idea of how it was going to end
[00:54] <Jeramyu> Plus it seemed weird. Before E5 and E6 was released, people were always wondering how long the series would be, and for some reason I always though 7 or 8 was the official number
[00:54] <Jeramyu> I'm sure he did
[00:55] <Wellsy> for expansive projects like that you simply have to, otherwise you lose sight of what you were trying to do
[00:55] <Wellsy> 7 or 8, huh?
[00:55] <Wellsy> another episode would be nice
[00:55] <Jeramyu> But there's some comments in E5 in a scene that Lun was apparently making while he was sick, and he briefly contemplates killing off Rhue and ending the series right there.
[00:56] <Jeramyu> And I just have this gut feeling that Lun wanted to move on to something else.
[00:56] <Wellsy> huh
[00:57] <Jeramyu> let me see if I can find those comments... looks like he took them out of the newer versions
[00:57] <Jeramyu> fortunately, I keep all of my beta copies
[00:58] <Jeramyu> Yeah.
[00:58] <Jeramyu> "I thought about killing Rhue here and ending the game. Just because
[00:58] <Jeramyu> I'm feeling so sick and I don't think I'll be able to finish with the real ending...
[00:58] <Wellsy> awww
[00:58] <Wellsy> well, i hate to think that E6 wasn't the real ending
[00:58] <Wellsy> part of me hopes it isn't
[00:59] <Jeramyu> Well, I think the metaphor of the phantom in E6 was sort of meant to explain
[00:59] <Jeramyu> or rather, come up with an explanation
[01:02] <Wellsy> yeah, i suppose
[01:02] <Jeramyu> the more I look at it, the more it seems undeniably true
[01:02] <Wellsy> E6 is a fairly elaborate way of just ending it
[01:03] <Wellsy> or not maybe, there is basically just the destroyed Estrana map
[01:05] <Jeramyu> Read the conversation without Rhue and the Phantom without any context:
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "You really know how to pick
[01:05] <Jeramyu> them\..\..\.."
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "\s[10]You don't like it?"
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "It's got a big chunk torn out
[01:05] <Jeramyu> of the middle!"
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "\s[6]You think that's a bad thing?"
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "Of course!\.\. It's ruined!\.\.
[01:05] <Jeramyu> What happened to the middle?"
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "\s[6]After I finished the <word omitted>,\.\.
[01:05] <Jeramyu> I ripped the middle out."
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "Lands,\.\. you really are stupid\..\..\."
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "\s[6]I just liked it better this way."
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "What did you do with the part
[01:05] <Jeramyu> you ripped out?"
[01:05] <Jeramyu> "\s[7]I put it inside a person's heart."
[01:05] <Jeramyu> ...And there's comment after that: "His own heart, but also another's."
[01:06] <Wellsy> very interesting
[01:07] <Wellsy> except we don't know what the missing piece is
[01:07] <Jeramyu> And when you get the piece back to him:
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "It wasn't easy, but I found
[01:07] <Jeramyu> the missing section."
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "\s[5]You found it\..\..\..\.?"
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "\s[5]Well\..\..\..\. if you want to
[01:07] <Jeramyu> see what it looks like that badly,\.\.
[01:07] <Jeramyu> I guess I'll put it in."
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "\s[5]My poor masterpiece\..\..\.."
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "I think it looks much better."
[01:07] <Jeramyu> "\s[3]I still prefer it the other way.

[01:13] <Jeramyu> I think I understand where's he's coming from, and I respect it in terms of him keeping parts of the plot, the spirit of The Way, within himself. But I'm still saying it had a premature end.
[01:13] <Wellsy> I agree with you completely
[01:14] <Wellsy> I think you could have kept everything the same in Dream Estrana but still come out and done a lot more stuff
[01:15] <Wellsy> And I guess I don't understand keeping parts of the plot within yourself when the whole point of creating story is to share it so others can enjoy your vision
[01:15] <Jeramyu> Hmmm... I can't say I agree completely. Maybe the first parts with Midian and Sacrifa, yes. But the rest was just compressing events down.

EDIT-- Just saw this too. Also a likely metaphor:
RHUE: (...  What a long journey...)
RHUE: (It's strange how things worked out.)
RHUE: (I felt so tired and sick that all
I could think about was the end.)
RHUE: (And when it came, I was happy.)
RHUE: (But it's strange...)
RHUE: (It isn't the end.  And it's really
not even much of a beginning.)
RHUE: (But... it's something.)
RHUE: And finally, things can get really
interesting...
Last edited by EmperorJeramyu on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:22 am

When you put it that way, This suddenly dawned on me: while The Way is incomplete, the plot ended after the climax to prevent the creep of the plot from Tragic back to mundane, continuing the plot after The Reaches ending would tie a LOT of loose ends and perhaps make us happier and enjoy the game more, but can anyone argue that it would make the game less beautiful and powerful if it didn't end that way?

This is the same reason most chose to end Oedipus when he pokes his eyes out, to strengthen the tragedy, instead of continuing the play until the end.

It seems as if The Way was supposed to have one last episode after this one, but it would be just an add-on to tie all the loose ends, and while it would make The Way more emotionally satisfying, it would drag it down from a Tragedy to a Story.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 am

Note: This is the original version of the End map.Changed because of a beta tester complaint that the directions were too screwy.  First going left in this scene, and then running right in the next scene. So I reversed the directions for this scene.

Haha, that was me.

EDIT--

Something else I forgot. Don't know if this qualifies as a secret or easter egg, but if you get the Lexus ending, Cetsa doesn't appear in the credits, and a bloody trail is shown leading off the right.

[Gharon appears as the PHANTOM SLASHER.]
[Gharon outstretches his arms and spins around, shaking the cavern with his attack.]
[Gharon’s attack knocks all the party members into the abyss.]

Now that's interesting. What basis do you had for making a concrete connection between the PS and Gharon? After all, Midian says "It's below us", while looking away from where the phantom appears. I had always thought that the PS's appearance was a complete non-sequitur, but upon reinspecting that scene, when it outstretches its arms, it's definitely corresponding to the quake that knows everyone off. Perhaps the party defeated Gharon who came from below, but the PS independently knocked everyone into the abyss? I still maintain this as one of the most mysterious scenes. Or ambiguous, rather.

Sarcasm wrote:When you put it that way, This suddenly dawned on me: while The Way is incomplete, the plot ended after the climax to prevent the creep of the plot from Tragic back to mundane, continuing the plot after The Reaches ending would tie a LOT of loose ends and perhaps make us happier and enjoy the game more, but can anyone argue that it would make the game less beautiful and powerful if it didn't end that way?

In your opinion. We've argued about this before, IIRC. Not everyone thinks that tragedy = beauty, and not tragedy = mundane. I didn't think any of the endings of The Way were tragic at all to begin with. They were all introspective on different levels, but once again, tragedy is in the eye of the beholder.

Sarcasm wrote:It seems as if The Way was supposed to have one last episode after this one, but it would be just an add-on to tie all the loose ends, and while it would make The Way more emotionally satisfying, it would drag it down from a Tragedy to a Story.

I'm saying there could've been one more episode because all of the events in E6 felt squeezed and forced in there. If there were two episodes, the events could remain the same in theory, only a lot more of what was already there could be explicated and fleshed out. For example:
Sacrifa, his story goes deeper.  I may have failed him in his portrayal.

And I am of the opinion that there was a lot more that could've been said about Sacrifa, and I was certainly interested in his story. I'm just saying that things could've been a lot smoother, but it seems as if Lun ran out of patience or steam, and wanted to move on to something else. I can respect that.

EDIT 2-- More miscellany.

Guest Room (011,006) EV0012:
    PBW: The Rise and Fall,
    Scatman's Autobiography,
    Madman's Autobiography.

Scatman could refer to a few people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatman
There's something for madman too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman

Rhue's Room (014,010) EV0043:
    RHUE: There's a book here about the
    Illuminati, The Swords of
    Justice.
    RHUE: Apparently they even had specific
    names.  Only a few are listed
    here.
    RHUE: Revalzo, Aldebaran, Arctura,
    Betelgeuse, Fomalhaut, Venturi,
    and Regulus.

I think those are names of stars.

Any books about "The Mimic" or "The nameless one" are thought to be referring to Rhue. But that's a whole nother bag of theories.

There's a bunch of other stuff I'm noticing, but it all seems far too theoretical. Though you would do well to check out some of the Estrana hallucination pictures (when Rhue gets injected) in the editor. There's some interesting stuff there.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Rangi42 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Sarcasm wrote:It seems as if The Way was supposed to have one last episode after this one, but it would be just an add-on to tie all the loose ends, and while it would make The Way more emotionally satisfying, it would drag it down from a Tragedy to a Story.

The Way doesn't seem like a tragedy to me; the Reaches ending is, but the default one is simply a new beginning (the picture even says so), not a tragic end; and the Lexus one is downright happy.

EmperorJeramyu wrote:What basis do you had for making a concrete connection between the PS and Gharon? After all, Midian says "It's below us", while looking away from where the phantom appears. I had always thought that the PS's appearance was a complete non-sequitur, but upon reinspecting that scene, when it outstretches its arms, it's definitely corresponding to the quake that knows everyone off.

Hmm, I always thought it was weird that the PS appeared then. I guess it was just Occam's Razor: if there's a shadowy killer in front of you and something attacks you, they're probably one and the same (unless further evidence suggests otherwise). And often the monster shadow and the monster don't quite correspond; weren't shadow Slimes used for both Cave Sludges and Spestas?

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Couldnt see it because rapidshare thinks I'm a bot. Always does,dont know why.

Do you know of a better free file host?

EmperorJeramyu wrote:I think those are names of stars.

Right, I'll mention that.

EmperorJeramyu wrote:There's a bunch of other stuff I'm noticing, but it all seems far too theoretical. Though you would do well to check out some of the Estrana hallucination pictures (when Rhue gets injected) in the editor. There's some interesting stuff there.

Great, now I'm tempted to make a guide to the theories invented by everyone here. (Including, of course, "Kalmar is a squid" and everything by Cocoa. :))
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:16 pm

Teh pure awesomeness!!!

I, however, have a few points to point out.

Somewhere in the guide, you say that Alan is maimed by Sacrifa and his followers so that only half of his leg is sticking out. I've recently played through The Way and tried to notice everything second playthrough and I can tell you that Alan is not killed by Sacrifa. he's just a wanderer who met Sacrifa by chance. Also, when Phantom Slasher comes, I heard 4 slashes, not 3. Check and mate.

I'm wondering why Lun uses woolies a lot. Maybe he was born in the year of the sheep?

Near the end of The Way 4, I've found a typo (prolly the only typo EVER in the whole series :S). After the Phantom Slasher just owns Stoyko and his buddies, Rhue wakes up and says 'they' instead of the. You can definitely notice it.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:37 am

Nice job, Rangi42! I must applaud you on your effort. You know, when it's all said and done, if Lun writes a best-selling novel series, he might think about putting some of our compilations and lists and theories in an appendix or something similar. Wouldn't that be something?

Jera - if I knew you were going to post it, I might have tried to make better points! :D You've said pretty much all I think about that subject - E6 is so different in tone from the other five as to seem almost removed from their events. I don't think it's necessarily tragic either - true tragedies are brought about by an intrinsic flaw in character. It could be argued that Rhue doesn't have a character since he inherited his characteristics from Jeruh and others.
RHUE: (...  What a long journey...)
RHUE: (It's strange how things worked out.)
RHUE: (I felt so tired and sick that all
I could think about was the end.)
RHUE: (And when it came, I was happy.)
RHUE: (But it's strange...)
RHUE: (It isn't the end.  And it's really
not even much of a beginning.)
RHUE: (But... it's something.)
RHUE: And finally, things can get really
interesting...

Wish we could get a hint of what kind of "interesting" he's talking about.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Rangi42 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:39 am

PseudoFlare wrote:Somewhere in the guide, you say that Alan is maimed by Sacrifa and his followers so that only half of his leg is sticking out. I've recently played through The Way and tried to notice everything second playthrough and I can tell you that Alan is not killed by Sacrifa. he's just a wanderer who met Sacrifa by chance. Also, when Phantom Slasher comes, I heard 4 slashes, not 3. Check and mate.

A long-debated topic. ("There's also the slim chance Sacrifa and his cronies found him and killed him, thinking he was a guided loyalist. Or maybe they ATE HIM!") The guide doesn't say that Sacrifa killed him, though, just that he's missing the better part of his body.
You're right; I checked the controller event there and saw that there are indeed four deaths. It's just weird that only Alan's legs are in the charset; his body could have been left in, it would be behind the trees anyway.

PseudoFlare wrote:Near the end of The Way 4, I've found a typo (prolly the only typo EVER in the whole series :S). After the Phantom Slasher just owns Stoyko and his buddies, Rhue wakes up and says 'they' instead of the. You can definitely notice it.

There are a few more than that; browse through the event code in the guide. (Although now that I'm looking for an example, I can't find one...)

PseudoFlare wrote:[...] if Lun writes a best-selling novel series [...] Wish we could get a hint of what kind of "interesting" he's talking about.

Who knows, if Rhue is a metaphor for Lun there, he might have a novel planned!
Oh yeah, he is writing one:
Lun wrote:I'm starting to sumbit some of my short fiction to various publishers. If any of them make it into print I'll be sure to let everyone know here on the site. My novel is still coming along.
Last edited by Rangi42 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:20 am

As I have stated many times, I refuse to accept the fact that the other endings are real , the later theme of The Way has undeniably pointed to a tragic direction, and the sudden dawning so prominent in tragedy is often expressed by Plato's cave analogy, that corresponds to "Truth hides nothing".

You can deny The Way being a tragedy, but you cannot deny the fact that the two last episodes used most of the prominent elements of one. (And for me, at least, earlier episodes were more like some background for the last two)

Anyway, this is just my opinion.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby MusashiEX » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:54 am

Rangi42 wrote:The Way doesn't seem like a tragedy to me; the Reaches ending is, but the default one is simply a new beginning (the picture even says so), not a tragic end; and the Lexus one is downright happy.

Didn't Lun say that he only put Begining there because of people complaining? I remember it used to be End.

EDIT: Checked it, and it used to be Fin.
Last edited by MusashiEX on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Next

Return to Estrana