The Way: Easter Eggs and Secrets Guide

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:06 pm

Someone want to send this to me over email or somthing? still cant get rapidshare to let me download it.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:10 pm

Here. I've uploaded the HTML version to some of my webspace.

http://jeramyu.homestead.com/files/TheWayGuide_2_.html
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Wow, thats pretty indepth. Though you missed Chin Rot being an anagram of Corinth, which seems like a complete non-sequitar, until you look at one of Fwacho's rants:
Okay so there is a lot more material never used (enough to fill a few small notebooks). Lun was looking for an... never mind that, I can say a few names but don't read too much into them as their is a lot of stuff not said and many are not who you think they are. ..."Corinth, Grim, Al(something can't rember) 'the vigilante', Traziun, Tetzel, this beautiful evil chick (whose name I can't remember), oh and Gaius (but not as you know him... actually maybe)."
(Funny note, it was at this very moment I lost all hope of figuring out The Way.)

Also, one of the game over quotes is from "Corinthians" in the bible according to your guide.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:22 pm

Slight error.
In an earlier version of the game, the cutscene with Rhue confronting Gaius, and choosing whether to plunge with Strata, was set with them walking from right to left; it is now set with them walking from right to left
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby PseudoFlare » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:34 pm

Rangi42 wrote:
PseudoFlare wrote:Also there's a bug on The Way 4 at the end (I'm not sure if this is on purpose or a mistake) which is activated when you press ESC while Strata is about to take a plunge with you. You then will be able to walk around freely but if you go to the top right of the screen, you'll see Lexus (although she's supposed to be dead). Anybody see a connection to this? I'm totally confused by then on why Lun bothered to put Lexus there.

Probably that's a glitch from when she was still alive and watching you in the tournament; it should teleport straight to the EpisodeSaveScreen and Credits.

It does teleport me to the save screen and stuff. When you are in the arena with Strata, before it ends, you COULD go over there and see Lexus.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby avatarmonkeykirby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Rangi42 wrote:A long-debated topic. ("There's also the slim chance Sacrifa and his cronies found him and killed him, thinking he was a guided loyalist. Or maybe they ATE HIM!") The guide doesn't say that Sacrifa killed him, though, just that he's missing the better part of his body.
You're right; I checked the controller event there and saw that there are indeed four deaths. It's just weird that only Alan's legs are in the charset; his body could have been left in, it would be behind the trees anyway.

I stand by my theory that he was taking a dump

http://www.crestfallen.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
True love lies in complete adherence to Newton's third law.
S1 Hilyn

Postby Rangi42 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:19 pm

EmperorJeramyu wrote:Here. I've uploaded the HTML version to some of my webspace.

http://jeramyu.homestead.com/files/TheWayGuide_2_.html

Thanks a lot.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Though you missed Chin Rot being an anagram of Corinth, which seems like a complete non-sequitar, until you look at one of Fwacho's rants:
Okay so there is a lot more material never used (enough to fill a few small notebooks). Lun was looking for an... never mind that, I can say a few names but don't read too much into them as their is a lot of stuff not said and many are not who you think they are. ..."Corinth, Grim, Al(something can't rember) 'the vigilante', Traziun, Tetzel, this beautiful evil chick (whose name I can't remember), oh and Gaius (but not as you know him... actually maybe)."

(Funny note, it was at this very moment I lost all hope of figuring out The Way.)

Also, one of the game over quotes is from "Corinthians" in the bible according to your guide.

EmperorJeramyu wrote:Slight error.
In an earlier version of the game, the cutscene with Rhue confronting Gaius, and choosing whether to plunge with Strata, was set with them walking from right to left; it is now set with them walking from right to left

Thanks. I wonder who or what the name "Corinth" would be used for?
The second "right to left" is now "left to right" (at least it will be in version 1.2, along with the "Corinth" anagram and so on).

PseudoFlare wrote:It does teleport me to the save screen and stuff. When you are in the arena with Strata, before it ends, you COULD go over there and see Lexus.

Just tested it; I see what you mean. You press Cancel, the menu pops up, you exit it, and can walk around. I didn't see Lexus, though; the messages started appearing before I could get that far. It seems to be fixed in the beginning of Episode 5.
I've used this name on boards for a while before I learned about the artist and Crestfallen Studios site designer Rangi.
Rhue: People aren't perfect!
Phantom: People are selfish.
Rhue: They can change...
Phantom: You know they can't.
Rhue: Some try!
Phantom: All fail.
Rhue: ... ...I don't care. I just want someone who won't stop trying. And I won't stop either...
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Just remembered a really old alteration. In early versions of EP2 during the first scene in Lide when Gaius talks to himself he said "Maybe he just wants to forget about that man we killed". Now it says "Maybe he just wants to forget about that personwe killed". Not a really big change now but I remember many people arguing over it before EP6 came out when clues like that were important.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PseudoFlare » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm

I believe The Way 1 has the most-blinks-per-steps for Rhue.

'Lun Calsari and all those who helped make The Way (Fwacho, Maya, Mob Pixelle, and everyone else he credits). Each episode is a work of art in itself, and making a series of six is just incredible.'

Self-Explanatory

'In the cutscene with Sacrifa talking to the other Guided rebels in the forest, Alanthreonus’ legs can be seen behind the upper trees. He is obviously dead and not in one piece, as the event only includes his legs, not his entire body. How he got there is uncertain. The Phantom Slasher may have killed him; there are four slashing noises in that scene and only three Guided rebels.'

Sacrifa and his followers don't have a Shadow Sword. The Protector, however does.
PseudoFlare
Plyn

Location: A really short way, just left of your street 3 blocks ahead.

Postby Rangi42 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 am

PseudoFlare wrote:'Lun Calsari and all those who helped make The Way (Fwacho, Maya, Mob Pixelle, and everyone else he credits). Each episode is a work of art in itself, and making a series of six is just incredible.'

Self-Explanatory

Self-explanatory? Not quite. "Luke" is a boy's name, right? (I will feel like such a n00b if I didn't get Lun's gender correct.)

PseudoFlare wrote:'In the cutscene with Sacrifa talking to the other Guided rebels in the forest, Alanthreonus’ legs can be seen behind the upper trees. He is obviously dead and not in one piece, as the event only includes his legs, not his entire body. How he got there is uncertain. The Phantom Slasher may have killed him; there are four slashing noises in that scene and only three Guided rebels.'

Sacrifa and his followers don't have a Shadow Sword. The Protector, however does.

Maybe I didn't write that clearly. There are four slashing noises because the Phantom Slasher (the shadowy person, not the sword, although the former may be a creation of the latter) killed four people (or had to use two sword-strokes on one). "Only three Guided rebels" means that the fourth slash must have been used on Alan.

By "the Protector", do you mean the Phantom Slasher? I don't think it was telling the truth when it said in Episode 6 that it has been following Rhue and protecting him because they are both "instruments of justice".
I've used this name on boards for a while before I learned about the artist and Crestfallen Studios site designer Rangi.
Rhue: People aren't perfect!
Phantom: People are selfish.
Rhue: They can change...
Phantom: You know they can't.
Rhue: Some try!
Phantom: All fail.
Rhue: ... ...I don't care. I just want someone who won't stop trying. And I won't stop either...
Rangi42
Plyn

Postby fwacho » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:49 am

There are very few bugs in the game... I believe Lexus was the orginal choice for a plunge before strata.. not sure on that though.

The painting discussion I believe really sums up how Lun feels about he game and is also a pot shot at "Art" to boot. Lun thouht about wrapping up the loos ends and answerign questions directly but he thought it was just better if you made poepl us etheir imaginations and instincts to fill in what wasn't there. ... but even if they did, he still had the whole picutre tucked away in heart which means thier is a truth and only he knows it, but has been said truth is not always what we want it to be. When it's not what we hope issues tend to arise.

Corinth was / is a major "idea" explored by Lun and goes into the pre-history of the game. Dirk has quite a history too as you might guess. Sacrifa, as Lun mentioned, also had a lot of back story that went unsaid.

That said the backstory would make better movies than the starwas prequels... also you would have to play the original series to truly grasp the signifigance of the past.

Another purpose of all the notes and odd coding is Lun was putting his signature on the game. He also thought a scavenger hunt would provide additional fun and more pieces for those willing to look.

For those wandering, Lun is working his rear end off in a Creative Writing Degree and has been submitting some non-related things to publishers. The way he's pushing you'll see something officially done be it book or script from him within five years, maximum.
"psst hey buddy... you wanna buy my book?"
fwacho
S3 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:31 pm

That said the backstory would make better movies than the starwas prequels...

Well, all in all, thats not much of a feat.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Stedar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:19 pm

Yeah; I agree with the statement that Alan isn't dead.
Reasons:
1)He could've been sleeping; I mean it was very late at night...
and... It's possible he was tired from escaping Estrana.
2)Lun could've been tired of editing/making sprite graphics. Hell, I get tired after making a char set too! After creating such a masterpiece (or atleast 3/4 of the way there) He must've been tired and sick as hell.
3) Yeah, 4 slash sounds. and if the PS slashed 2x on 2 guys, then what about the 3rd guided? No scream or him running away or anything.

AND...
I do agree that most of the character development that was taken out because Lun thought that he had failed to portray most of the characters.

There are many clues to this during the game, relating to certain characters.

Last:

I wish Lun would just release the truth about everything. I mean, since he's off to smaller things, and won't be checking up on this forum at all...

I want to know what Dirk's real significance is; as well as Tetzel (what would he have looked like!?) And the Blana Sera.
Last edited by Stedar on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Stedar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm

(Dammit! sorry... Computer lagged and I clicked twice.)
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Did you just quote yourself?
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana