The Way Unofficial Soundtrack Project

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: The Way Unofficial Soundtrack Project

Postby Malefact » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:01 pm

I also think that this is an awesome project. I happen to have all my favourite game OSTs on CDs which I listen to on a semi-frequent basis, but The Way is clearly a massive hole in my collection.

In any case, Galbadia Hotel is a fantastic place to find game mp3s, if you guys don't know about it already.
Malefact
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Elachim wrote:Rendering midi as mp3 will give you almost no difference in sound, but what Preki appears to be doing is replacing the midi instruments with higher quality samples. This can be done fairly easily, especially with all the game midis right there. I could take some of the work there if some of you (Preki?) could help me out finding samples.

Are you talking about soundfont conversion? I've been tooling around with that, and I even had a Way soundtrack pieced together from soundfont transformations and original songs where I could find them.

Here's an example of the results, in this case it's A-GoodBadUgly as rendered by Frank Wen's Fluid soundfont (obtained from http://www.hammersound.net/), done with Direct Midi to Mp3 converter:

http://media.putfile.com/A-GoodBadUgly

(Give it a sec to load. If you want to download it to your computer, get one of those billions of embedded media downloader plugins for Firefox, or better yet suggest a better host).

I can do that for any of the midis in the game if anyone has any requests.

Elachim wrote:I'm particularly interested in how you got the FF8 samples, Preki. If you could share those or show me how I can get them, I'd be most grateful.

I don't know about samples, but there's an FF8 soundfont here: http://www.zophar.net/utilities/soundfont.html
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Preki » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:06 am

I'm particularly interested in how you got the FF8 samples, Preki. If you could share those or show me how I can get them, I'd be most grateful.

Simple - they come with FF8's PC version, and I've got one. But there's more work than sample replacement itself. You know, effects, panning, etc...
Burn me...
Preki
Plyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:05 am

Preki, I understand that there's more to it than replacing the midi sounds; I've been working with music for nigh on 9 years now (with unfortunately little to show for it). Soundfonts tend to work best for "real" instruments, but sometimes a simple wav patch can do the trick (if it's a small tonal range.) I understand that you got the FF8 sounds from the PC version. I own a copy and am interested in how you found them. Did you have to rip some game data or is the just an sf2 or something sitting around in the file structure?

Jera, it's sweet you've got something already going. Putfile is currently down for maintenance so I can't check out the example at the moment. I wasn't really talking about a direct conversion to mp3 via soundfont, but what I had in mind was more of a remake (not a remix) of the original tunes that had the same quality as some of the stuff on OCRemix (zircon is a good example), so similar to what Preki's doing I believe. I don't know if that's popular opinion, but that's what I would like to see. Also, hammersound.net FTW! It's kinda sad I hadn't already discovered it. And thanks for the FF8 soundfont!

P.S. I use FL Studio. Unfortunately it is not free but it is well worth the cash.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:57 am

All right, I know this is pretty much dead, but I actually more or less finished the project I was working on quite a while ago and was just too lazy to post it. It's a compilation album of selected songs from The Way's soundtrack composed of midi-mp3 soundfont conversions (see my above post), and the actual source songs.

As for the logic behind the song choices and conversion/original decisions... hell if I remember. Pretty sure I was at least partly drunk when I did this. I think I first tried to choose some of the more memorable, more commonly used songs, then from those chose ones that either had decent originals I could get a hold of easily, or had decent sounding conversions. That's why songs like Strata's theme aren't in there, since any conversions I did sounded horrible. I probably missed some easy choices, but I'm too lazy to go back and check now. Besides, I trust drunk me, don't you?

So here it is in all its glory. It's 32 songs compressed in a 76 MB RAR (if you can't open it download WinRAR or 7zip or upgrade from Windows 3.1) with a readme file detailing the choice I made for each song.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sxwq1k

Apologies in advance for any volume issues, though I don't think there are any. Also sorry most of the conversions have silences at the beginning. Those are also present in the midis. If you've never heard them note that rm2k cuts them out by default. Again, I was too lazy to edit them out myself.

Like I said before, if anyone has any specific coversion requests I can try and process them as well. Since the originals for a ton of songs can found be found on youtube, I updated the Music Tracking topic with links for every known song I could find.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Debacle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 am

"A Time and a Place" is listed but is not on the package.
I'm not requesting it or something, just telling.

By the way, is Traziun's Theme ever used on the game? I can't really remember.
Debacle
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Of course I couldn't do something like this without screwing up at least once... Sigh.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gu58su

The soundfont is Frank Wen's fluid, which I usually choose for any song that has lots of piano in it.
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Cavalier » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

I know it may not be worth much but... Thanks for doing this. This is a pretty awesome compilation, and I'm sure it took you quite a bit of work. And quite frankly, I'm happy with anything that lets me milk some more enjoyment out of The Way.
Cavalier
Wanderer

Postby Alkaizer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:44 am

I'm sorry for bringing back this old thread but the hosted files do not exist anymore. Could anyone reupload tha compilation please ? I'm really missing this music.
Alkaizer
Wanderer

Previous

Return to Estrana