Inner Darkness

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Inner Darkness

Postby Malefact » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:20 pm

From Ep.5. I know it's unusable in your normal game, but I was wondering whether you code-savvy people knew what the trigger for the attack working was?

Regardless, it's damn cool. Like Earth Whisper, something so small hints at so much more going on behind the character you're presented with.
Malefact
Plyn

Re: Inner Darkness

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 pm

This one bugs me. I looked into the skill awhile ago and I can't find what makes the skill unusable. I can tell you from the skill itself that it hits one enemy, has 100% chance of causing pretty much every status effect in the game simultaneously, including death making the other status effects negligible in the end I guess. I'm not sure what wins out, 100% death or 100% prevention of death.
Its element is darkness, the only skill in the game with that element, which nothing in the game is weak or resistant to, except the Puff Sleeve which is randomly has 100% resistance to it.

But yeah, I'm missing whatever it is that makes it unusable. Maybe someone else knows.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I just looked it over, and maybe Strayed can back me up on this, but Inner Darkness has the "Darkness" attribute, which in the database is set as a "Weapon" attribute type, and skills with weapon-attribute attributes aren't usable for some reason. I know that's how it works in rm2k3, and I'd presume it's true in rm2k as well, but somebody should test this.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am

Ok, I tested it. Turns out if a skill's attribute is a weapon attribute it can only be used if the weapon the character uses is of the same weapon attribute. Since his weapon is cosmic he can't use the attack.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Yes, you're all newbs (save for Jera). Also, it is in the RM2k3 help file. Maybe it is in the Rm2k help file, but it is arranged so horribly.

On the note of 100% death vs. 100% prevention. The character will not suffer instant death. The skill has a 100% chance to actually work, the conditions are all checked individually. The only way to have 100% chance of death is to alter the death condition so that A=100% (A=80% in The Way). Thus you cannot actually have 100% chance of death and 100% prevention at the same time.

This also means that a monster can be unaffected by a skill's attribute, but still hit by the condition, which is somewhat annoying.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm

neither my rm2k or rm2k3 have help files >_>

And yeah, I noticed a flaw in my insta-death idea when i changed the skill so it would work and it was noticeably not killing anything.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:13 pm

I would definitely get newer versions, if you haves ones without help files, I can't even imagine when they are from.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:07 pm

I looked into it and they do, it just turns out Vista doesn't recognize them. What a surprise.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:I looked into it and they do, it just turns out Vista doesn't recognize them. What a surprise.

Hm. I have Vista and the help files for rm2k/3 work, but only if I click the help button on the main screen and not in any specific contexts, where it'll bitch that it can't find any help file, which I THINK happens for Windows XP as well.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 pm

I got it all working now, had to go download a update from the Microsoft site to get whatever's needed to open .hlp files.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... d#filelist
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Return to Estrana