Can someone please clear this up? Am I right? (Spoilers)

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Can someone please clear this up? Am I right? (Spoilers)

Postby Igloo9 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 pm

So this is basically the story of Rhue, right?

-A guy (name unknown) acquires the shadow sword somehow.
-Throughout his life, the people he killed, the sword took their auras.
-Some of the auras changed his personality and he became a new person.
-The most recent personality he changed to was someone he killed named Midian. So his name was Midian.
-Midian and Gaius, for whatever reason, are after a guy named Jeruh.
-Midian kills Jeruh, and the aura changes Midian's personality again.
-Midian now has Jeruh's memories, but it's the memories of Jeruh being Rhue. (So basically, Midian has Jeruh's life now, and is calling himself Rhue like he wanted to because of the massacre.)
-Since Midian/Rhue has the memories that Serena never died, he continues to look for her.
-"The Way" starts. (Referring to the actual game)

Right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Igloo9
Wanderer

Re: Can someone please clear this up? Am I right? (Spoilers)

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Sounds about right, except for 'Midian and Gaius, for whatever reason, are after a guy named Jeruh.' We know why 'Midian' was after Jeruh, that was like his lifes goal. No idea why Gaius was though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Igloo9 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Sounds about right, except for 'Midian and Gaius, for whatever reason, are after a guy named Jeruh.' We know why 'Midian' was after Jeruh, that was like his lifes goal. No idea why Gaius was though.

Oh. Does it ever say why Midian is after Jeruh?

Also, I have a few questions I forgot to ask, if you don't mind. :?

1. There was a flashback scene where it showed Rhue talking to a young Lyrra, and, according to the scene, Lyrra was his daughter. Lyrra was afraid because something happened to Jeruh. The scene was dark and stormy. What was that about?

2. So we don't really know who Rhue truly was? His "original" self and for how long he has been alive? That is all a mystery.

3. What caused Rhue to kill all those people throughout his different lives/memories? Did the Shadow Sword turn him evil? Was it just casual killing such as bandits who attacked him? Was the sword acting on it's own? I assume it's just the same as his current "Rhue" life, just killing for whatever reason like he did during the game.

I might have more... I forgot. I understand the story, but there's a lot of side events that I'm still confused about.
Igloo9
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:32 am

Oh. Does it ever say why Midian is after Jeruh?

In Jeruh's cell Midian revealed how he survived the Landorin Massacre after seeing Jeruh kill Serena and he swore revenge, we can only assume thats what Rhue was doing when he under the Midian persona.

1. There was a flashback scene where it showed Rhue talking to a young Lyrra, and, according to the scene, Lyrra was his daughter. Lyrra was afraid because something happened to Jeruh. The scene was dark and stormy. What was that about?

This was right after Rhue killed Jed, and he was experiencing one of Jed's memories from Jed's point of view. It was right after the Landorin Massacre and Lyrra saw Jeruh kill everyone and pretty much blocked it all from her mind.

2. So we don't really know who Rhue truly was? His "original" self and for how long he has been alive? That is all a mystery.

Quick timeline of what we can reasonably assume about Rhue's various identities:
original identity -> ...unkown... -> Kura -> Kava -> ...unkown... -> Midian -> Jeruh(Rhue)
All we know about his age is that he's been around for a long time, as mentioned by the PS and guessed at by Gaius. As for who he is, well the best guesses are he is the son of the Lord Below, and it takes a small book to even begin to explain how anyone came to that conclusion, suffice to say it involves the attack on the LotP by the Illuminati and the demise of Janwen and the side effects of the Lord Below's desperation attack that just 'decimated the auras' of the entire city. Basicly go to the room where you find Lexus and theres a bookshelf with 3 poems, describing 'The Mimic', 'Venge', and 'Kura'. Since Rhue was at point Kura, and the Mimic poem pretty accurately describes Rhue, its not a stretch that all three poems are all about Rhue, with Venge as his origin. So check those out.

3. What caused Rhue to kill all those people throughout his different lives/memories? Did the Shadow Sword turn him evil? Was it just casual killing such as bandits who attacked him? Was the sword acting on it's own? I assume it's just the same as his current "Rhue" life, just killing for whatever reason like he did during the game.

We don't know much, but its pretty clear that the sword wants Rhue to kill as much as possible. How picky it is about who it kills has had much debate (the reaches ending is a good starting point for this), but in general the points when it switched auras on Rhue were at points when its current aura were at the verge of becoming much less likely to be killing again and it had just acquired a new aura that had plenty of reason. As for motives again I'd point you to the reaches ending.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Igloo9 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Whoa, ok, I get it now. Thanks for those answers. I remember the other 3. I'm pretty sure that's the rest of my questions, if you don't mind answering them again?

1. When Rhue was telling the story of how he got his sword to Traziun (and we saw it in flashbacks) two shadowy figures were just standing there in the forest. One of them gave him the sword, and Rhue ran off with it. They both just stood there and didn't even turn to watch him leave. However, when the "real" Jeruh/Rhue was telling the story in the end, one of the shadow figures had stabbed the other, and just sat there. How come these two flashbacks were different, and who were those two shadow figures?

2. So, is the PS just a mind of it's own? At first I thought it was Rhue like Gaius said, but the PS is it's own person, it even looked at Rhue while he was sleeping and stuff. Did it just kind of create itself and went out and killed people, then returned to Rhue later?

3. In Episode 1, you fight a ninja-type guy who is looking for Jeruh. Was that just someone hired by Rhue to kill him?
Igloo9
Wanderer

Postby Debacle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:56 pm

1. The Jeruh memory is the real one. Rhue's could be either what Jeruh had being lying to himself for years, or a forged memory the sword created to protect the new personality from the truth.
Probably a mash up of both.
The shadows identity is unknown, but the game hints one is dead and the other is catatonic, similar to a shadow sword wielder absorbing an aura and suffering the effects. But then is also hinted it could be just a normal sword in the hands of a bloodlusted kid. And for last, if that sword was indeed a shadow sword, most agree it wasn't the Phantom Slasher.

2. I can't tell yet if it's a projection of the sword or that's really Rhue's body possessed and what we see is what the sword wants Rhue to think that happened while he was possessed.

3. Hired by Midian in the Mimic's body. Since he doesn't recognize the face when he sees it, is more likely he was by filled in by the other "Ninja-Guy" later in the game that recognizes Rhue as Midian, but is dismissed.
Debacle
Plyn

Postby Cavalier » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:40 am

Debacle wrote:The shadows identity is unknown, but the game hints one is dead and the other is catatonic, similar to a shadow sword wielder absorbing an aura and suffering the effects.

Hold it right there, when is this established precisely? The only time someone has gone catonic after absorbing an aura was when Rhue absorbed his own aura down in Jopaga's lab. And that was only after going berserk on most everything there. When "Midian" killed Jeruh he switched personalities nearly instantly.
Cavalier
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:45 pm

1. When Rhue was telling the story of how he got his sword to Traziun (and we saw it in flashbacks) two shadowy figures were just standing there in the forest. One of them gave him the sword, and Rhue ran off with it. They both just stood there and didn't even turn to watch him leave. However, when the "real" Jeruh/Rhue was telling the story in the end, one of the shadow figures had stabbed the other, and just sat there. How come these two flashbacks were different, and who were those two shadow figures?

Debacle pretty much got it right. Jeruh's story is the real one and Rhue's is most likely what Jeruh made up to lie to himself.

2. So, is the PS just a mind of it's own? At first I thought it was Rhue like Gaius said, but the PS is it's own person, it even looked at Rhue while he was sleeping and stuff. Did it just kind of create itself and went out and killed people, then returned to Rhue later?

Its almost definitely a projection of the sword, because the two noticeable times Rhue didn't have the sword, the PS was were the sword was, not where Rhue was. The first was when it got lodged in Slade's chest, and the PS pulled the sword out and brought it back to Rhue. Then soon after when Rhue was in the Blana Serra cell, his sword was in the chest outside the cell. The PS immediately comes crashing through the cell door from the outside then disappears. Also the very fact the PS can be around when Rhue doesn't have the sword implies it can't just be possession.

3. In Episode 1, you fight a ninja-type guy who is looking for Jeruh. Was that just someone hired by Rhue to kill him?

Yeah, when Rhue was Midian he most likely hired headhunters to look for Jeruh. Probably didn't hire them all directly since later when that one finds him he ofcourse doesn't recognize Rhue as Midian. Why he attacks is kind of a mystery. Rhue did act really suspicious at the mention of Jeruh, because for all intents and purposes he was Jeruh. The headhunter might have had other evidence that made him believe Rhue knew something or even was Jeruh, and he could just be alittle crazy. In EP2 Rhue runs into another headhunter who recognizes Rhue as Midian, because of the theorized hiring of headhunters.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Debacle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Hold it right there, when is this established precisely? The only time someone has gone catatonic after absorbing an aura was when Rhue absorbed his own aura down in Jopaga's lab. And that was only after going berserk on most everything there. When "Midian" killed Jeruh he switched personalities nearly instantly.

My idea for the personality shift/memory rewrite/catatonic state is about 1-3 minutes of duration. Can't really tell about the timing at Jeruh's death, you might be right.

Its almost definitely a projection of the sword, because the two noticeable times Rhue didn't have the sword, the PS was were the sword was, not where Rhue was. The first was when it got lodged in Slade's chest, and the PS pulled the sword out and brought it back to Rhue. Then soon after when Rhue was in the Blana Serra cell, his sword was in the chest outside the cell. The PS immediately comes crashing through the cell door from the outside then disappears. Also the very fact the PS can be around when Rhue doesn't have the sword implies it can't just be possession.

But is swordless Rhue really where we think he is? He is always regaining consciousness by the time the sword returns.
Shadow Swords can move on their own to a degree, maybe enough to get to the cell, but then I'm too rusted on the story to argue why the sword would need a wielder if it can project a body of its own - or for how long it could project one.
Debacle
Plyn

Return to Estrana