TV Tropes topic

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: TV Tropes topic

Postby gentlemanorcus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 pm

This reminds me of something else. Is there a trope for a character like Tetzel that is only referred to by other characters and never actually appears?

The Unseen.
EDIT:
Okay. Added the Unseen, and tried to fix clunky descriptions, unnecessary details, and added some cosmetic links for flavor.
I am Looking for a Gal age 18-(my current age) to Make into a Sweetheart From the Ground Up. I am VERY LONELY And STRAIGHT!*sigh*
gentlemanorcus
Wanderer

Postby Otaku No Anime » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm looking for it myself right now, but just in case someone here can name it right off the bat:

Aside from Guide Dang It, are there any gaming tropes that specifically describe the method the player has to go through in order to obtain the Scarred Stone? (i.e. intentionally making Rhue act like an ass as well as generally incompetent when he has to be discreet about a task) I feel that there's something that would appropriately describe this, but I can't place my finger on it.
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, it does seem like there should be a trope for that, but I also can't think of anything right now.

Something I just thought of now is that Episode 6 has a Pass Through The Rings mini game.
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Otaku No Anime » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:16 am

Will add that in if it's not up there already.

Also, is it reasonable to think that the old man on the cliff in the EP1 credits is Dirk rather than just a random character that just happens to use the same character graphic? If so, then he's an Early Bird Cameo. I'm consulting everyone here simply because of the fact that the event itself is named "MAN," which casts some doubt on that presumption.
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby gentlemanorcus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 am

Otaku No Anime wrote: Also, is it reasonable to think that the old man on the cliff in the EP1 credits is Dirk rather than just a random character that just happens to use the same character graphic? If so, then he's an Early Bird Cameo. I'm consulting everyone here simply because of the fact that the event itself is named "MAN," which casts some doubt on that presumption.

I'd hazard a yes. We all know how much Lun likes to foreshadow things, and he seems to have had a lot of the story planned (up until Episode 5, at least). Oh, and thanks for fixing consistency, Bakazuki. I know I've been kind of lax in getting tropes, I'll see if I can get some more.
I am Looking for a Gal age 18-(my current age) to Make into a Sweetheart From the Ground Up. I am VERY LONELY And STRAIGHT!*sigh*
gentlemanorcus
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Otaku No Anime wrote:Will add that in if it's not up there already.

Also, is it reasonable to think that the old man on the cliff in the EP1 credits is Dirk rather than just a random character that just happens to use the same character graphic? If so, then he's an Early Bird Cameo. I'm consulting everyone here simply because of the fact that the event itself is named "MAN," which casts some doubt on that presumption.

I've always assumed it was Dirk. Even if Lun hadn't decided yet that it was Dirk I'd still think it would count retroactively. Has any other named character had a generic clone?

Can't remember if I mentioned this or not yet but I've been looking for a trope for Gaius's Inner Darkness skill which can never be used in the game, ever. The closest I came is an subversion of Chekov's Skill, but its not perfect, what do you guys think?

That One Level, Barrucha Cave anyone?

Also added a bit about Rhue's sword being Socketed Equipment.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby gentlemanorcus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Here's some more:
Dramatic Wind: This is in place when Traziun makes the "eye for an eye" speech.
Bring It: "Do you want me to make a speech or something?" Also qualifies for Pree-Ass Kicking One Liner.
Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism Leaning far towards cynical.
One Man Army:Traziun kills an entire stronghold of Blood Lyn by himself.
Rule of Symbolism: In universe. Dropping a letter signifies subtracting something from your outlook, adding means adding something to your outlook. Do you guys know what it means to just mix around the letters? I forgot.
There. I know it's not much, but it's something.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:That One Level, Barrucha Cave anyone?

I'd say it's a tie between the Barrucha Cave and the Twisted Forest. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Barrucha Cave, though.
gentlemanorcus
Wanderer

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm

gentlemanorcus wrote:Rule of Symbolism: In universe. Dropping a letter signifies subtracting something from your outlook, adding means adding something to your outlook. Do you guys know what it means to just mix around the letters? I forgot.

SORYA: Symbolically speaking,
dropping a letter from one's name
represents the release of an old
outlook, attitude, or sin.

SORYA: In the same manner adding
an additional letter would symbolize
a new addition to one's self.

SORYA: Some don't drop any
letters, they just rearrange
the letters. I don't know
what that symbolizes though.

It's pretty open to interpretation.

gentlemanorcus wrote:
Sage Of The Wise wrote:That One Level, Barrucha Cave anyone?

I'd say it's a tie between the Barrucha Cave and the Twisted Forest. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Barrucha Cave, though.

Barrucha cave gets my vote. Twisted forest wasn't... hard, it was just annoying to find everything.

On that note, both the Twisted Forest and The Forest in E5 probably count for The Lost Woods, the latter also doubling for The Maze.

Also since it's one of my favorite tropes, I noticed Giant Space Flea From Nowhere qualifies for a few of the non-human bosses.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby gentlemanorcus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

That's weird. Is anyone else getting this message when they try to edit?
This entry is checked out until 11:49 Pacific Daylight Time
by UnknownTroper @ 67.233.72.220.

Hmmm. I guess we can't edit until 11:49. Strange.
EDIT:
Nevermind. I'll get to work later adding some tropes.
gentlemanorcus
Wanderer

Postby Otaku No Anime » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 am

gentlemanorcus wrote:That's weird. Is anyone else getting this message when they try to edit?
This entry is checked out until 11:49 Pacific Daylight Time
by UnknownTroper @ 67.233.72.220.

Hmmm. I guess we can't edit until 11:49. Strange.
EDIT:
Nevermind. I'll get to work later adding some tropes.

Yeah, that's not particularly unusual. TV Trope's wiki software allots a certain amount of time for the editor to type in what they need and save the changes without any interruptions from other people who happen to be interested in changing the page as well. It's to prevent issues such as undoing a person's edits when another person editing within the same time frame saves his own version with separate changes right after.
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Aside from Guide Dang It, are there any gaming tropes that specifically describe the method the player has to go through in order to obtain the Scarred Stone? (i.e. intentionally making Rhue act like an ass as well as generally incompetent when he has to be discreet about a task) I feel that there's something that would appropriately describe this, but I can't place my finger on it.

I can't find anything else that would describe it, I think it would make sense as a Guide Dang It, probably along with the lexus ending.

We should probably go about looking into some of the older troops and remove or change the ones that don't fit as well, or are just redundant. Right now I'm removing the Sequel Hook since thats about unresolved plotlines that are thrown in in hopes of making a sequel, when most of The Way's unresolved plot was intentionally vague or left unresolved specifically because Lun got tired of making sequels. And we already have enough tropes about how unresolved this game is.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:01 am

I don't remember exactly what Rhue says after defeating Strata, but I think his decision to not kill Strata could be an example of Cruel Mercy.
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby gentlemanorcus » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:41 pm

I added Cruel Mercy. Hope you don't mind, Non-Sequitur.
Tropes I'm considering adding:
Karma Meter. Kind of, with Rhue points.
Nietzsche Wannabe. A bit of a stretch, I admit, but the speech Rhue makes in The Reaches ending. He talks about how humans can't change, how the only way to see the truth is to suffer, that nobody can find their place in the world and can only make things they can claim to be theirs, and how human endeavor is pointless.
Extreme Doormat.Slade is very powerful, but he never expresses his opinions. He's pretty much a pawn of the Vigilance Council.
Crowning Moment of Awesome. Something we should add is Slade telling Patura off. Considering Slade is the aforementioned Extreme Doormat, it's still pretty impressive.
The Chessmaster. Entrego, until he's found out by another Chessmaster, The Harbringer (and to that extent, Gaius).
Xanatos Gambit.Entrego, A.K.A Medmur pulls off when which allows him to off both Zedicus and much of his gaurd. He probably meant to kill Slade too, but that didn't work out.
What Could Have Been. Maybe it's just my fascination and love of Chessmasters and Manipulative Bastards, but I thought Lun could've done a lot more to show the strife in Estrana, the backroom dealings, and the subtle manipulations by the Harbringer and Entrego.
Tropes I say we delete or change:
An Interior Designer is You. Yeah, you can buy furniture, but you can't really "design" your room. They're put in their positions automatically, and it's kind of important if you want the Lexus ending, while this trope is usually for cosmetic changes. Well, anyway.
Anyone Can Die. This doesn't really start until Episode Five. Lots of minor characters die, sure, but the major ones are pretty safe. Change description to reflect this, maybe.
Chick Magnet. Am I the only one not seeing this? Kloe and Rhue don't seem to have that much attraction except for the "bondage" line, and considering this is Rhue, it could have been said just to embarrass her. Even if you have the highest attraction meter with her in the "normal" ending, all Rhue says is a grudging "come along then." Cetsa likes him, I'll admit that. Sorya flirts with him, but this is Sorya. Not trying to be offensive, but she probably flirts with most guys she knows. Either way, the woman don't really "flock" to him.
Darker and Edgier. This trope is usually used to show when a light work is turned more girtty and dark. The Way is stand-alone. Well, unless you count the Crestfallen games.
Inspector Javert. While Slade is a law enforcment officer trying to find a criminal, Inspector Javert refers to innocent people. Though the "crimes" he's chasing Rhue for are pretty shallow, Rhue isn't exactly innocent; he's killed countless people and tried to kill the Harbringer; thus breaking the law.
That was probably laced with spelling errors, but whatever. The stupid links kept screwing me over.
gentlemanorcus
Wanderer

Postby Otaku No Anime » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:17 am

Well, you don't necessarily have to link for us. We can put a little time to type it in to the sites search engine. =)

As for the tropes considered for deletion:

An Interior Designer is You - I'd say just note it as a borderline case for those exact reasons. That's something that would likely be added in again if a random editor who has played the whole series passes by.
Anyone Can Die - I agree. It just looks that way because so many other people are dying left and right.
Chick Magnet - It's been a while since I gotten into the later episodes, but does anyone remember how many NPC's flirt (or at least show romantic interest) with Rhue throughout the entire 6 episodes, because I remember there were at least a few. Depending on how many, I think it gives Rhue a degree of Informed Attractiveness, which would naturally lead into other tropes such as Chick Magnet.
Darker and Edgier - On the fence about this one. Well, how about if we look at this in respect to the fact that later episodes are considerably darker in tone than the previous episodes. Would that work? IIRC, this trope can apply within a single series as well, such as a retooling of a show.
Inspector Javert - Inspector Zenigata, then?
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm

I think Interior Designer should stay, change the description if needed. Darker and Edgier works in the sense that the climax of EP1 was a comical fireside tale, while the climax of EP5 involved the ritual killing of about half the cast. As far as I can remember most of the women throwing themselves at Rhue do it once he's a finalist in the plunge tournament (actually think this happens in all 3 tournaments), and care nothing about his looks. I haven't read the chick magnet trope to know if this counts for or against, but personally I never saw him as one. The other can probably go.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana