Modding - The Way

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Modding - The Way

Postby X-Calibar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:27 pm

I did another song...

>Into the breach<

I don't think I did a very good job compared to The Lagoon, so I'll probably need to work on it when I get better... :?
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby the fondler » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Your long list of ideas of mods for The Way seems to be a lot of Wish Fulfillment of RhueXLexus. lol
Which is kewl, I would totally do the same for Kloe.

I still like the idea of getting voice acting done for the game, be a decent reason to try to start some noise around this series again. Alas, maybe someday.
the fondler
Wanderer

Postby Exiled » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Wow I really like your take on these songs. This is pure ear gold, keep it up!
I could listen to The Pits forever. Very inspirational esp. for drawing-- imo. Are you going to posting mp3s of your remakes, if so... please loop it! :o (I draw for long periods of time.) :P

Also around the 2:32-2:43 I'm not sure if the strings brings enough "umph" to that part.... if that makes any sense at all.... :oops:
Although, the chilling sounds @3:50 is a really nice touch! Love it!
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:44 pm

It strengthens my resolve to continue work with your comment Exiled :D Sometimes I get really sluggish...
I will remember to see what I can do with the 'umph' of the strings in that part. I hear what you mean!

Also, I do have the full mp3s posted under each video's more info button.
...I don't have them looped yet, since I might still edit them some more before the final version...

You could try looping the Pits or any youtube video though using :
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=X_vS6YIGXbA&p=n#/0;286
or
http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=X_vS6Y ... n#/107;226

But, if there's a certain song you want looped; maybe I can loop it...
[I suppose I'd have to divide it into the beginning, the loop, and the end; in most cases] and you just have the loop part in your playlist as much as you want it looped [or just loop that part].

For the game though, I suppose I'll have to just loop it a few times and then have it end normally [can't make the file size too big]
Ah, but I just learnt of a mod/hack/update for RPGmaker that will allow it to play mp3s...! Called Disharmony? (Tip thanks to Admiral Styles of Love and War!)

@the fondler -
Yeah, I do luv Lexus xD But, mostly it was because I was trying to figure out a believable alternative route for Lexus. I should try to do the same for Cetsa, Kloe, Scatha and The Girl. *BONK* (Oh, yeah ... Lyrra too...)
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Well when it comes to working with RPGMaker I find it useful to increase the tempo by 50% ( I usually use Yamp to change it to .Wav then edit with the windows sound editor and then change it back to mp3) just be sure to make sure your songs play at 50% tempo in RPGMaker. It might take a bunch of editing but it'll really drops the file size, for the music at least. I'd like to offer my services for this mod as well. I'd love to draw anything for this game. :P

Thanks for the looping advice. I don't own many sound editing programs...
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm

That *CERTAINLY* is an outside the box idea! Well, I mean if you change the tempo for a .wav/.mp3 in RPGmaker I think it will change the pitch as well (not so for MIDI). So you get a super high pitched song.
However... if I were to figure out the exact amount of pitch is changed and it doesn't sound bad being changed back; it certainly seems to be an excellent way to save space.

An offer to draw? :!: Well, at this stage; I don't know how far a modding idea will get [focusing on the music currently]. Or where drawing would fit in... Although, having CGs in the game could be really fun...

I remember the part of the game that had those secret Sorya posters. I was thinking it would be fun to have actual pictures to go along with those finds...
Like the one by Rangi would be fun to see in-game ... http://www.crestfallen.us/fan/rangi_sorya.jpg

Also, I've always been a fan of credit rolling endings that have art/graphics showing pivotal moments throughout the course of the game...

I wonder what the best way would be to handle CGs in-game without messing up the momentum? Full-screen images? Or quarter-sized images in the 75%upper-center? Or varying sized images, comic-book style; like Rhue and the important stuff is on the left-side of the screen and then on the right side, a CG appears and scrolls...
Hmmm... anyways right now it's all just up in the air~
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Adding sexy posters of Sorya would be a nice addition imo :o

Or new sprites in addition to the old ones.... maybe facesets for characters who haven't gotten one yet.
When it comes to the posters I think it'd be ideal to just draw some 320x240px image of Sorya. I'll toy around with it and post one later.
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby Exiled » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Well i've had a little time today to doodle and this is what I came up with...
This is the RPGMaker friendly version with 256 colors and...
This is the real image that I made. I'm not as good as Rangi but hey! :o

Hubba hubba Sorya... :oops:
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Oya, oya! Rhue is definitely in for a surprise... :oops:

Thanks for doing this <3
She should be perfect for a poster.
(Actually, she reminds me of one of those resin figurines! I want a Sorya figurine!)

Hmmm... The choice of scene for the poster, reminds me of that one...
Well, I can't imagine Sorya giving Rhue that look when you meet her at the bath, but I bet THAT is how Rhue sees her :O

Will have to make it so posters are items, that will allow you to view it at anytime...

Oh, and I started working on the next song today... B+Catacomb. The creepy song that plays when you first encounter the Barrucha! This one has been tough to prepare, since there were over 50 audio tracks to deal with! ><

EDIT: Oh I missed this :
Or new sprites in addition to the old ones.... maybe facesets for characters who haven't gotten one yet.

That's an excellent idea~ Although most characters already have portraits, ***I think*** there are some small but interesting characters that are missing them : Vashta, That Lady that you Want to Avoid (uh Rhue steals her dress in the bathroom?), maybe that guy that helps you fire the cannon?, the monster Scatha is talking to, the guy at the bar in the beginning that is supposed to judge the rabbit race... I really have to play through again before I can really think about doing a mod though...
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am

Speaking of rabbit races... wasn't there a minigame where you could race swiftfoots? Was that only in the beta because I can't find it in my Ep6 folder...
Looking forward to more remakes :)
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:50 am

I heard there were supposed to be swiftfoot racing. But, it didn't make it into the final game... Actually, it would be nice to have a nice fat list of all the things that were planned, but didn't make it in the game...
Like wasn't the Tower was planned to be more of a final dungeon rather than a single room or two?

Anyways, I uploaded my work on Catacomb so far~

>Catacomb<

It needs a lot of work still, like all the dynamics are missing, but I was getting kinda worn out from it! I don't know if it captures the right atmosphere, the song might be too loud/overbearing... But, check it out :D

Also, for fun I edited the lantern glowy effect. I probably should post a before and after, but I think I like the results. [Instead of a single white flare image that glows, it's now a orangey tinted and slightly manipulated flare. But, also two new cutouts, to make the glowy more organic/random and darker background. Also, a slight black filter to make Rhue appear to have lighting effect, rather than stay the same; and a dark brown filter to make it a little darker and capture the caves color.]

It would be fun to do very minor effects for all areas, to make it a little more natural...

EDIT: I made notes for all the songs so far :

TO DO -
The Pits - Give it an Omen feel. Like Xenogears in how it starts out?
Fix the strings near the middle end, not strong enough.
Work on the piano somehow...

The Lagoon - Hard to find fault! Maybe the french horn somehow could use some help, and the strings could somehow be bettered...
But, the opening parts are great.

Tower - work on the soft bell sound... Still not quite right.
Otherwise good.

A Reflective Sky - Give it a second overhaul. Especially with the opening section. Also the ending.

Lexus - Give it a more alive feel. The guitar is pretty ... flat. Also, the sections with the odd sounding guitar need work.

Catacomb - Timp needs work. The opening could use some work. Need to add dynamics to the bells and strings. Maybe make the string beat of destruction have that edge that only some of the notes have. Make it more dangerous sounding?

Into the breach - Needs a revisit. It sounds ALRIGHT, but it isn't impressive.

Double vision - knocking - All's well? Hard to mess up techno xD

Strata Theme - Maybe, add the same type of note to the first note of the song? Give it a better, more dynamic feel? The guitar might use some work.......... too and same volume at all times? Should be a bit more subdued at the end?

Build Up - Revisit the bass and chorus; make sure it doesn't clash; bass on the higher pitch notes need to be stronger. Also, the main instrument resonates on certain pitches... Need to fix that double sound. Ohhh this one was such a pain...

Urgent Action - Make the opening stronger, make the end better. Perhaps make the room size more personal.
Last edited by X-Calibar on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 am

There's some code and basic test maps in EP6 for swiftfoot racing, its still there on the final release, its just not used obviously. I've never really looked into it though, so I have no idea how complete it is. I would guess not very, or it would be in the game.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby X-Calibar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmm... I should poke around...

Oh, speaking of swiftfoots... whatever happened to Dippy? Did Rhue pick him back up? Or did he run off after killing the monster? (obviously I needs* to play it again...)

Here's a picture of the lantern from before and after (normal is upper left, bottom right is the new lantern effect) :

Having the different effect gives me some ideas about LOSING your lantern or having it go out possibly. Like if you go for the secret chest, letting the barrucha "play with you"; it would be interesting to have it go out perhaps?
Or have it go out at an unopportune moment... *crap, not now...* Relights, and HE's in your face! :shock:
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:17 pm

A few new barrucha collisions would be cool, or reducing the level of light for that part so it's almost impossible to see him coming in enough time.
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 pm

or reducing the level of light for that part so it's almost impossible to see him coming in enough time.

You monster
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana