Modding - The Way

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Modding - The Way

Postby X-Calibar » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:12 am

Ohh, I have to replay The Way before I even think about modding...
After making that kind of lantern effect, I remembered that Tranziun is probably using that Glow Rock from episode 1... So, I should probably keep the original effect [although slightly altered] since I've never seen a Glow Rock before :O

Although... if you get hit by the barrucha without dying and the rock happens to go flying...
Can you make out the background? In the upper left side, the bottom right side? Or do you see just black and Rhue?

Click on the image to see it sorta full-screen. (Everyone here, plays The Way fullscreen right?? I can't imagine playing it windowed...) I'll probably need to create a few more brighter light levels, since I imagine most people haven't calibrated their monitors?

As for extra additions to the Barrucha cave... well if you were to drop the rock and have to make your way stumbling in the dark; perhaps you can pick up a Lantern (yay, now I can use the effect) from the dead body..... trap. However, if you DON'T pick up the lantern, and continue in the dark; when you come across the lost about to die girl. She wouldn't act the same way, since she probably can't see you. [assuming she has no lantern/glow rock]........

And yes, some extra Barrucha "fun" would definitely be a go :D BTW... how DO you get to that secret treasure chest.... hmmm.... *cheats and looks* Oooooh...
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Debacle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

I hate to be that picky guy... but the name is not Tranziun.
Debacle
Plyn

Postby X-Calibar » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Debacle wrote:I hate to be that picky guy... but the name is not Tranziun.

You're telling this to someone called "X-Calibar"??

xD I seem to make up my own names for people without meaning to.
Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I did another song :
>Urgent Action<
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Koren The Wanderer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm enjoying these song edits, man. I'll definitely be downloading the mp3s when you're done. Not only would they make for a big enhancement to my next playthrough, but I'll be able to just listen to the Way soundtrack without feeling cheap for vibing out to midi tracks :P. Fantastic work, keep it up. :D

P.S. Do you plan on doing WayJLandryTheFighterSpirit any time soon? My favourite piece of music from The Way, would love to see that one touched up like this.
=]
Koren The Wanderer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Exiled » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 am

Koren The Wanderer wrote:P.S. Do you plan on doing WayJLandryTheFighterSpirit any time soon? My favourite piece of music from The Way, would love to see that one touched up like this.

I hope so that's a personal favorite of mine as well.
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Koren The Wanderer wrote:I'm enjoying these song edits, man. I'll definitely be downloading the mp3s when you're done. Not only would they make for a big enhancement to my next playthrough, but I'll be able to just listen to the Way soundtrack without feeling cheap for vibing out to midi tracks :P. Fantastic work, keep it up. :D

Hey Koren :D Thanks, I'm glad to hear people are checking it out xD
I will do my best to keep at it; so that hopefully all the songs will be given a makeover eventually! [I'd like to try a remix or two at the end as well...]

, oh and there's nothing wrong with vibing out to midi tracks! ;) ... maybe I do it too :P

Exiled wrote:
Koren The Wanderer wrote:P.S. Do you plan on doing WayJLandryTheFighterSpirit any time soon? My favourite piece of music from The Way, would love to see that one touched up like this.

I hope so that's a personal favorite of mine as well.

The current plan :
(I just started doing this for the first time, with Tower. So, I'm hoping I'll only continue to get better/more used to it as I get further along. I've been setting aside some songs till later so I can get a lot better before tackling them.

Like, "WayA_Time_and_a_Place". I'm saving that for the last one that I do. By then, I can hopefully really give it a nice treatment. I was holding off on The Fighter Spirit as well; but maybe I'll get to it sometime soon... :D

Oh, currently I'm doing B+BuildUp... although finding just the right sound has been tough...
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby X-Calibar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 am

And here it is :

>Build Up<

You might not like this one... I know I HATED doing it! lol... How can the easiest song so far turn into a nightmare to do?! Program crashed a lot, my time alotted for this for two days was just... trying to get a single instrument right... haha...gh.h.. :P

Anyways, I'll work on it some more later... Onward!

EDIT:
Ahhhh screw it! I'm going to start on The Fighter Spirit now ;D
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby X-Calibar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:48 pm

And without further adieu,

>The Fighter Spirit<

I did the best I could at this point in time, hope you enjoy it :D
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 am

X-Calibar wrote:I did the best I could at this point in time, hope you enjoy it :D

Another great edit my friend. When you said you would start working on it I bookmarked this thread :D
How goes the cave edits? Did you ever decide what you were doing with those lights?
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Whew... 12 songs down... 92 more to go?!

Hey Exiled :) Glad it did not disappoint!
I'm currently working a bit on "The City"... It's an easy one to fall asleep to!

As for the Cave Edits... I guess I could work on the actual mod in between doing songs, assuming I *REALLY* plan to make a real mod for The Way.

I wouldn't make any possibly plot altering changes though, until I replay The Way. But, in the meantime, I should be pretty safe to add aesthetic enhancements...

Here are some ideas I have (I've already listed most of them before but... it's nice to go over them) :

• Mp3 music
  • Some enhanced sounds?
    (I started a Morrowind sound enhancement mod once (first I play the old, then the new) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKL4l9hyaU0 )
  • Add lighting/ambient effects to all applicable maps
    (I guess to handle different people's monitor black levels, I'll have the player able to adjust the levels at savepoints. Maybe the first time though, it could prompt you, starting with the darkest level, and say something like, "Hey, Rhue can you see?" (Yes/No) and have like three light levels (and maybe just off).
  • Forest run minigame
    Make the run go through a forest of trees, off and on the path; so it looks more realistic than running a clear straight line on an empty path with guys just appearing?
  • Club fight minigame
    Possibly expand a little on on this? Maybe add an extra guy to jump in depending on difficulty? (There was at least one guy unaccounted for, when I looked at the scene before and after)

Possible ideas :
  • Combine the games into one playthrough?
  • New standard battle system?
  • New events and places to visit, mostly during times of the game where it just skips from one area to another?
    Example : Episode 2 had that wide open field, but no other part of the game (except Dream Estrana) had that feeling of travelling a distance without instant travelling.
  • Look up existing ideas Lun abandonded and see if it's worth adding them?
    Example : The day to night system for Dream Estrana.
    Turn the Tower into a full blown final dungeon area.
    Add the rabbit racing?
  • Alternate routes?
  • Alternate ending?
  • Some new art or CG?

OR perhaps I shouldn't think about doing a big mod at all???
I mean I always wanted to create my own game, and have lonnnng since picked out a lot of midis for it...

And then there's the game you might have heard of : Cave Story. Another great indie game, that I had been planning to do a major mod for; >for yearsss< now. (Was going to call it Cloud Story, and it would be a prequel to the original game.)
http://cloudstorymod.wordpress.com/page/4/

OR maybe I should just focus on "real life" ... (... nah........)
Woe is me...
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 am

I'd love to aid in your efforts in RPG making. I love collaborative efforts PM me with what you have in mind. ( I'm also working on a RM2k9 project with custom graphics. )
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby hero_bash » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 am

What about remaking it in another maker
hero_bash
S1 Hilyn

Postby X-Calibar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:34 pm

hero_bash wrote:What about remaking it in another maker

I thought about that... Sounds like it would be quite the massive undertaking though!
Recreating the mini-games with different code, updating the battle system, rebuilding the world...

It would probably make more sense to do that if Lun wanted a commercial version of The Way...

I haven't worked on the next two songs lately since I started playing two games after being stuck in a rut.
(One was a FPS game, Max Payne, but I realized it was kind of wasting my time...)

(The second is a game called YU-NO, which I'm checking out right now :D It is kind of getting the creative juices flowing~I'm expecting it to be really good (an old JP adventure game with great reviews, that was recently translated) ...it seems to have some nudity, but I don't mind :P
X-Calibar
Plyn

Postby Exiled » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:20 pm

X-Calibar wrote:(The second is a game called YU-NO, which I'm checking out right now :D It is kind of getting the creative juices flowing~I'm expecting it to be really good (an old JP adventure game with great reviews, that was recently translated) ...it seems to have some nudity, but I don't mind :P

That Yu-No game looks pretty interesting... :oops:
Exiled
S4 Hilyn

Postby Koren The Wanderer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:38 am

X-Calibar wrote:And without further adieu,

>The Fighter Spirit<

I did the best I could at this point in time, hope you enjoy it :D

Great stuff :D
Btw, I'm guessing you're the same X-Calibar that worked on the voiced Ryan + Lavie clip? I ended up getting bored and playing through the old version of Love and War, then found that video on the LaW rpgmaker.net page and your name was mentioned haha.
=]
Koren The Wanderer
S2 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana