All Episodes: Spelling and Grammar

If you found an error or bug, this is the place to report it.

All Episodes: Spelling and Grammar

Postby Iorek » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:42 pm

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to take screen shots and report each individual bug. But I'd already gone through to Episode 3 before I finally did decide.

Anyway, here are the grammatical and other errors I remember:

-Episode 2: When ANYONE refers to the blue scarves wearing scarves around their neck, this is what they say when they refer to it in singular form:

"You know longer have a scarve around your neck protecting you"
"She's wearing a scarve"

It's Scarf, S-c-a-r-f, SCARF in singular form, not scarve.

-Uhh... well, now that I think about, that's all I remember; I know there are a lot more errors (well 5 or 6 that I noticed from 1-2), but it is not my desire to replay the episodes again to point these out. Lun (or somebody planning to replay from episode 1) should go through the main story dialogue and get this taken care of.

Thanks,
Iorek
Iorek
Plyn

Postby Iorek » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm playing Episode 3 now; I'll keep adding as I find:

-When in the watercave, where you're collecting ladder pieces:
When you pick up one and try to go underwater with it, Rhue says
"It would be to difficult too swim with this", it should be "Too difficult to swim with this."
-At that same point, the message options are changed to: transperent middle
It shouldn't be that way.

Rm2k Beginning of Episode 2:

-Lyrra: They are the wanderers who
are ahead of everyone else.
--change to--
They are the wanderers ahead of everyone else.

-You are inconsistent with "The Way" and "the Way", pick one and do it that way throughout The Way.

-Semi-collons are your friends, not enemies.

-Traziun teaching Rhue the cool wind blade art:
Impressive Rhue, you catch on quick.
--change to--
Impressive Rhue, you catch on quickly.

I'm sure there's TONS and TONS more, but all this is what I noticed 20 minutes.
Iorek
Plyn

Re: All Episodes: Spelling and Grammar

Postby Porter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:22 pm

Iorek wrote:
It's Scarf, S-c-a-r-f, SCARF in singular form, not scarve.

Way to talk to Lun like he's a fucking moron. I can't believe your tone.

If I could mod this forum, it would be deleted.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:25 pm

If I could mod this forum, I would use my powers to royally rape him up the ass to show the utter contempt I have for him.
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 pm

Iorek, you do realize that dialog doesn't need to be grammaticly correct. It's the equivalent of spoken words, and most people don't speak using correct grammar.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Porter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm

Everyone on The Way majored at the University Of The Way - Estrana (UTW - Estrana) in Higher English and Writing Jeramyu.
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Glenn47 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:33 pm

-Lyrra: They are the wanderers who
are ahead of everyone else.
--change to--
They are the wanderers ahead of everyone else.

That, my friend, is called DIALECT. The character is speaking. Do you use proper grammar every time you speak? No. Lyrra doesn't have to word it a certain way. She's Lyrra. She reads books.

Also, I find it funny how there have been about 9 topics saying IT'S SCARF NOT SCARVE OMGLOL! It's the name of an organization. If he had made up a trait to identify them, like glarves, he would say "It's the Blue Glarves." and "He's wearing a glarve." Think of it as an almost fictional object. It's a scarve. If you really feel that a typo THAT STILL WORKS could ruin a game (even when it's ON PURPOSE) then re-evaluate your life.

Thank you for your time and participation on the Bug Forums. :D
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Non-Sequitur » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:49 pm

While we are at it I might as well add what I have found.

From Episode 3 on the Green Rocks Sub #1 map:

"?????: Creeping death,\.\. the motherless man,\.\.
Janwens Revenge,\.\. the list of names goes
on and on.\|\| Phantom Slasher is just the
most commonly used name."

This should be "Janwen's Revenge".

From Episode 5 on the Right Ready Tunnel map:

"All right,\.\. but when are you
leaving?"

This should be "Alright".
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Yuri » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Actually, "alright" is technically speaking the incorrect form.
Yuri

Postby Non-Sequitur » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:11 pm

I am probably wrong. I just thought it didn't look right. It looks like there is some debate over this though. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=alright&x=18&y=14
Non-Sequitur
Linkmaster General

Postby Yuri » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:36 am

Don't worry, I always use "alright" myself, as well. I didn't even know it was considered incorrect by some until I found this page: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html (great site, by the way)

But Lun has used "all right" before, so in order to be consistent it needs to remain the same. Just as with his use of "yea" -- it's correct, just an old-fashioned form of "yeah". Likely, he purposely chose both forms to give more of an impression of The Way taking place in historical times (alternate universe notwithstanding).
Yuri

Postby Deltaway » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 pm

One that annoyed me was using Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... instead of Okaaaaaaaaaaay...
Here is my gallery of fractal art:

http://maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=83112
Deltaway
Plyn

Postby Yuri » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:23 pm

Yeah, Rhue does that in Episode 5 when Gaius sends Kloe away.
Yuri

Postby Iorek » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:16 pm

Do you guys always have to be so vulgar and lacking in self-control? You take huge offense at something that I'm saying simply to contribute to the professional standing of The Way.

"Way to talk to Lun like he's an idiot"

"I'd ************* to show my discontempt"

Please at least TRY to act your age. I don't care if you're computer dorks and like being immature, you need to learn some life lessons.

Also, grammatical mistakes and dialect are different things. I'd be happy to debate with you in a civilized manner about this, but not the way you're speaking now.

Thank you,
Iorek
Iorek
Plyn

Postby Dr. Casey » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 pm

Uh... there wasn't anything wrong at all with Porter's post. He just made a valid point.

Anyway... I'm pretty sure that "Impressive Rhue, you catch on quick" IS dialect, since it's fairly obvious that "quickly" is the gramatically correct choice; it would just be harder to make sound natural (Of course, Traziun has some pretty complex dialogue, so it might be less of a problem for him... my voice would probably start cracking if I talked as much as he does). As for the quote from Lyrra, well... your revision is a little tidier, but I don't see what's wrong with the original. Besides which, I don't think that incorrect grammar is a bad thing as long as it doesn't seem bad; if the gramatically correct choice sounds more awkward, then there's not really any point in using it besides blindly following English books. Not that you said otherwise, but I just thought I'd add that.
sqpat17 wrote:Slade: Maybe the sword flew over and landed in his chest. "Oof! Stabbed by two shadow swords in one week!" Okay, maybe not.
Dr. Casey
S2 Hilyn

Next

Return to Bugs