Ear piercing screech during song changes.

If you found an error or bug, this is the place to report it.

Ear piercing screech during song changes.

Postby Lancifer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:21 pm

Well... where do I start...

Ah, yes. Whenever the song changes in RPG2000 on my computer, the program will sustain the last note before the song ends, making a very annoying screeching noise that overlaps about 30 seconds into the next song. I hate it. sometimes songs are even off key, and just sound awful. What do I do? Do I need to get a patch? A new sound card? Reinstall the program? Does anyone else have the same problem? Everyone?
Lancifer
Plyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:35 am

The same thing happens to me in some Rm2k games... I'm blind as to the cause, unfortunately.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Never had the screech, but I have had some songs go horribly off-key, and the only way to fix it is to restart. I have no idea why - the same song in the same map will be fine later. Seems to happen to me more frequently with RTP music.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:46 pm

The only music related problem I've had is if music starts when I'm playing a game in windowed mode the songs sometimes play in just piano.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby loona » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:51 am

Wellsy630 wrote:Never had the screech, but I have had some songs go horribly off-key, and the only way to fix it is to restart. I have no idea why - the same song in the same map will be fine later. Seems to happen to me more frequently with RTP music.
That's a bug in RM2k, IIRC. ASCII never felt like fixing it (which they openly admitted). Apparantly, it happens more with certain specific MIDI initialization sequences than others, so that's why the RTP music probably gets fuxxored up more often than other songs (don't know what initializations they use exactly, though).

Edit: It wasn't fixed for RM2k3 either. Here's where I read about it.

When some MIDIs are played, only the piano instrument plays.

* This bug was present in RPG Maker 2000, but doesn't seem to have been fixed. If you open the midi in the program "Cherry" [a Japanese MIDI editor], you can edit the "initialization sequence" of the MIDI. Try editing the sequence to the following values, based on the MIDI type:
GM Type 1: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7
GM Type 2: F0 7E 7F 09 03 F7
XG: F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7
GS: F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7
Please note that if you use the wrong initialization sequence, the MIDI playback will be distorted and/or extraneous instruments may be included.

* This happens much less often in versions 1.06 and above, but isn't completely fixed.

http://www.phylomortis.com/html/rm2k3bug.html
loona
S1 Hilyn

Postby Wellsy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:30 am

Thanks for the update, loona. I figured it might be the engine since it happened with other games, too. Too bad ASCII just said, "Fuck it." I guess it's not that big of a deal, though. Just save and restart and the problem is solved.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby loona » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:28 am

One RM2k game I played had an option in the game menu to "reset the MIDI sequencer" when that happened. I think it did it by forcing the song being played to stop and then start again. I thought that was a nice workaround.
loona
S1 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:08 am

Just a question, are the battle songs for the way supposed to ahve like 7 different versions? Cause when I've played the battle song changed every now and then ,sometimes piano, sometimes xylophone, sometime orchestral and whatnot.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:14 pm

Thats happend to me a somtimes, it seems to only happen when I play it with a windowed screen.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:52 pm

It always happened during... ep 3 i think, at elast when i was fighting female kraavs, lastars and then those scorpions.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm

it happens to me in all rm2k games, its probably not somthing you can fix.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Aegis » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think RM2K uses the SDL Audio thingy. I know because the sound got screwed up when I tried to play a midi in RM2K at the same time as using some SDL programming tutorial example game.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

<Jeramyu> I'm going to mistranslate our own anime, and piss ourselves off.
Aegis
S3 Hilyn

Postby Cryora » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:55 am

lol some songs like Lagoon actually sounds better with pure piano than with the original instruments.

These MIDI problems might be fixed by going to
Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties > Audio > MIDI music playback > Default Device

I think if you have a SB soundcard you can change the synthesizer. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software thing. Onboard sound might support it if you have the software.

The problem is that some MIDIs are made to play on the default synthesizer, so you might get wierd music if you use a different synthesizer.
Cryora
Plyn

Postby Lun » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:36 pm

This is a problem with RM2K and cannot be fixed as of yet.

Lun.
Lun

Postby RedMoonRising04 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Yeah.. the piano thing is not only in RMK2. Sometimes, a MIDI can glitch. I don't know why, but it just happens. It happens with one of my midi-making programs. I don't know why, but I just know it can happen.
RedMoonRising04
Wanderer

Return to Bugs