Major Party Level Bug

If you found an error or bug, this is the place to report it.

Major Party Level Bug

Postby Jabbo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Don't ask me why this bug wasn't in the beta versions, but the variables for your party level do not start out at level 1 and 0 AR, like they should, instead they start out at level 213 and -3 AR. This problem just compounds over time to yield strange results. The variables start out as such IMMEDIATELY after loading a save file from a previous episode. The result is that the party never levels up and permanently has level 1 stats, and the skills are screwy too. Somewhere in the opening of the game these variables need to be set to 1 and 0.
The Way FAQ (Now updated, more or less, for Episode 6)
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Poenaensis » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:51 pm

HMMM, didn't happen to me
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby Jabbo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Well maybe it doesn't happen to everyone, but two people on the forums have reported it, one of my friends told me about it, and it happened to me when I loaded stats into the current version, so I dunno.
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Terra » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:40 pm

Wait, they can level up in E6? That would explain a lot, most notibly the ass whooping I got near the end in the mine and tower...
Terra
Plyn

Postby Victor » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:26 pm

I finally tracked down those variables somewhat. They must have been used somewhere in the Marna Stretch back in EP2. Something about animal control? Haven't been able to locate the events though, not that it matters I suppose.

What worries me is that since most of that variable page was used, and it also seems to have new uses -- or at least new names -- in EP6, there might have been other things that were missed.

885 and 886, Characters Level AR, are the culprits of this specific problem, it seems. But is 882 -- Midian AR Level -- used for something? Or some of the other variables?

I'm half-tempted to just modify those variables myself -- specially since looking over other variables I noticed that I had a certain one at 7 that needs to have been lower, though I'm not sure yet if it's as simple as just changing it there -- and continue playing, rather than wait for a bug fix.
Victor
Plyn

Postby RentACop » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:22 pm

If we have this problem, is there any way to fix it by futzing with the variables? Or maybe changing the characters so they have the appropriate levels even if they still won't level properly?
Maybe if you know your true love is about to move away to college or something, you can stick this shit in the stereo and make the moment last while at the same time listening to pussies whine about bitch shit. Just like you.
RentACop
S2 Hilyn

Postby Jabbo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:49 pm

Set the character level variable (885) to 1 and the character AR variable (886) to however much AR they should have, then either run the Add CTP and AR common event or win a battle, and that should fix all the problems. Except there's still the thing where Midian has all of his skills when he shouldn't, but it fixes everything else.
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Jabbo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:24 pm

I've made the temp fix for this bug for anyone who wants it. Here are the instructions:

Download http://www.geocities.com/jabbo_kaldra/bugfix.zip and http://www.geocities.com/jabbo_kaldra/normal.zip
Extract the map file from bugfix.zip and put it into the episode 6 folder (replace the map file already there)
Go to the House of Pnoe in game. There should be a sheep outside. Talk to it and say "yes."
Input the amount of AR you've picked up since the beginning of the episode (You could cheat here, but cheating is stupid, so it's your choice).
Extract the map file from normal.zip and put it into the episode 6 folder (replace the map file already there)
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Dy3000 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Ummm how do u know how much AR you have picked up? I'm at the part where you get the Outword Stone thing and are supposed to activate it at the house of pnoe.

Also, will this fix give you back the skills you should have learned in the levels past?
Dy3000
Wanderer

Postby Jabbo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:57 pm

There's not much of a way to know, just estimate. If you're right before the Reflective Sky area, I'd go with 2000-2500 (which may be pretty dang wrong, I'm not really sure). You can always just put in 0 if you want to level your characters from the start; I was just providing a mechanism for people to get back the AR that they got that didn't go to its intended function.

And this fixes everything relating to character levels. It resets their rm2k characters to level 1 and removes all of the skills they acquire through leveling, and then levels them up normally based on the amount of AR you put in.
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby Dy3000 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:13 pm

Thanks. I estimate it to be around 3500 plus a whopping 2500 for the Barrucha.

What does the last step with pasting the file in the normal.zip folder do? I presumed it would just get rid of the sheep, but apparently it's still there, not that it's a big deal or anything I guess.
Dy3000
Wanderer

Postby Jabbo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

It should get rid of the sheep... you have to leave the map or go back to the main menu for it to go into effect, though. Either that or I did it wrong.
Jabbo
S2 Hilyn

Postby SeeK » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:18 am

There, the variables are fixed...
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change" ~ Charles Darwin

"War is not for the faint hearted, but when you have no heart it's easy!" ~ NetWiz, DS Clan (Half-Life 2: DM)
SeeK
Plyn

Postby Asra » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 pm

Ah thanks. I think they already had most of those abilities, but now I see that they stopped. Thankyou mister Jabbo.
Asra
S2 Hilyn

Hmmm

Postby LunC » Sat May 13, 2006 12:17 am

It was a stupid idea to recycle old switches and variables. Oh well, I'll fix this up.
LunC
Pharaphalyn

Return to Bugs