MIDI Music Issues

If you found an error or bug, this is the place to report it.

MIDI Music Issues

Postby Otaku No Anime » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 am

((Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask; don't know where else to put it.))

After I switched over to Windows 7 and reinstalled RM2K and The Way, I've had a few problems with MIDI playback. To get right to the point, some MIDI files won't play properly while I'm playing The Way. Sometimes it sounds...dull, sometimes it doesn't sound like the file is playing at all. The two most jarring examples I've encountered so far:

B-Confrontation: It plays, but I only hear the percussion channels.
ATheLagoon: Sound doesn't play at all, except on very rare occasions.

And as a side note, I'm having the same issues by just playing it on Windows Media Player, but not on Quicktime. Odd.

So I'm wondering if this might have to do with some pre-installed software or drivers. Does anyone know?
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Re: MIDI Music Issues

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Welcome to my world. I spent months struggling with this problem, and the bad news is there's no real solution.

I think it has something to do with the soundfont newer Windows OSes (I have Vista) use. Quicktime uses a different soundfont to play midis, but unfortunately I've never found a way to actually change the default one. I even bought a whole new sound card and it didn't help much, though I'm almost certain some super expensive Yamaha sound card can do that. Otherwise yeah, you're pretty much out of luck. It seems midi is all but depreciated by OSes these days.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:20 pm

I thought we solved this.

Anyway, here is the fix, it worked great for me.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Otaku No Anime » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm

*faceplam* Ah.

Sorry about that. Since I was only looking at the topic posts, that completely slipped my radar. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.
Otaku No Anime
S2 Hilyn

Postby Last Light » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Sorry for bringing this back up, but that patch link is dead. Does anyone have an updated link? :/
Last Light
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Here you go.

The zip contains the fixed versions and the originals, the latter with the (bak) postfix. You should be able to unzip into the music folders for each episode and overwrite the relevant files without hesitation.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Last Light » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you for your swift response! The music is working like it did pre-Windows 7.
I know it says I'm a new person here, but I've actually just been lurking for years. So thanks for all the help you've posted in other threads too that I just didn't comment in. You're doing great! :D
Last Light
Wanderer

Return to Bugs